PDA

View Full Version : RACQ Boat Insurance ?

Mad_Barry
19-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Any horror stories out there or pitfalls with RACQ boat Insurance ?.

Just got a quote from them after getting my renewal from Club Marine this week & it's damn near half the price. I have a few other policies with them & member discount.

No complaints with club marine, but at the end of the day, 300 bucks is 300 bucks ;D

StevenM
19-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Dicko,

Have made one claim and they paid it, no questions asked. Have everything with them as well and were good with a contents claim as well.

Cheers Steven

Poseidon
19-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Looked into insurance some months ago and specifically asked some insurers whether the boat was covered for damage from another motor vehicle colliding with it on the way to the ramp. The reason for this question is that the vehicle I tow the tinny with is a company vehicle and I wanted the trailer and boat covered as stand-alone without having to rely on any insurance that the vehicle may have, the insurance company for the vehicle could not 100% satisfy me that the boat would be covered for damaged during towing. So with these questions the only insurers I could find that give could answer the question satisfactorily was Club Marine and Suncorp and ended up going with Suncorp as they were alot cheaper.
Regards Cameron

Wello_Pete
19-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Dicko

Agree with Cameron. Have been with Suncorp for 5 years, had a claim (serious fire on board), they we're both professional and helpful. Couldn't rate them higher

Cheers

gropeher
19-08-2005, 09:33 PM
I have been with Racq now for 5 years, I had club marine quote me twice, however they were twice the price boths times from both boats so I left house, cars and boat with them, now I have had 2 claims for the house since and they paid both promptly. First the video crapped out during a storm, when I gave dates there was no storm in our area, however RACQ said I had alsways paid on time therefore I was considerd a valued client so they would pay for a new for old replacement. At the time I was shopping around for quotes, that answer was good enough for me and I have stayed with them since and canned them other quotes, If they will pay then that is good enough for me, 2 x claims and paid up both times with no problems, I wouldnt go anywhere else now to be honest.

Cheers Ryan..

rajawolf
20-08-2005, 02:03 AM
Just a little tip about boat insurance, make sure your take photo's from every angle and store in a safe place.

If the boat is say insured for market value, they have 3 values for this...1)poor condition for age...2)average condition for age and... 3) above average condition for age, and will base what they pay on this scale.

If your boat, trailer and motor is number 3, you will have to prove this to the insurance company if you need to make a claim....if the boat is stolen, fire, theft, sunk, ect ect, then it can mean the difference of $1000's when it come's time to pay up.

If you have agreed value then it is not as important. Also do not to forget to update your insurance if you add items to the boat.

scuttlebutt
21-08-2005, 02:49 PM
I'm with RACQ for the boat, car, house etc and there is a noticable saving to be had when combining a number of policies with them. Haven't claimed on the boat but have had a couple for the car and they've been great.

cheers,

steve

Mad_Barry
21-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks fella's. looks like I'll give them a go.

noluck
21-08-2005, 10:44 PM
dick best way to fand out who is the best
just walk in boat shop and ask them wich one is the best to bi cavered with
cheers no_luck

Oldyella
22-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Cam

RACQ Comp will pay for any damage caused to the boat/trailer in a collision along with damage to your car. They do have some restrictions on liability to other vehicles as they are covered by thier own policy. I think this will be the same everywhere. You need to read the policy from the websites.

goldfish
22-08-2005, 04:44 PM
i'm with club marine even though they are a lot dearer, however they cover everything where as eacq, suncorp. ect have limits. eg: we store our 30ft cruser at anchor racq won't cover a boat that has been at anchor for more than 7 days. it is the things that we might not think off that we pay the extra for.. but all the same i think club marine could come to the party and make there insurance a bit more competive :-?

Cheech
22-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Just make sure you read the fine print.

eg, with suncorp (who I am with) you have to have a proper trailer lock. Chain and padlock is specifically excluded. So without one at the ramp or at home and the boat and/or trailer get nicked, you would not be covered.

Cheech

brisvegasjack
26-08-2005, 10:15 PM
I was with RACQ boat insurance for a couple of years and never made a claim. I am selling my current boat and put it in a well respected dealers yard on consignment who has high fences and mean dogs at night. I was advised by them as a precaution to notify RACQ about the change of storage location for my boat. RACQ checked and said it was unacceptable to their underwriters as it was not located at my home anymore and gave me 5 days to find another insurer. 5 days later I was cancelled and a refund chq turned up. I am now with Clubmarine, more expensive but good piece of mind.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
27-08-2005, 09:31 PM
We are with NRMA. The boat, house and contents, and both cars. I've not had to make a claim so I guess perhaps I don't know how they'll go, but everything I've read assures me that I am completely and totally covered for anything and everything.
Hope so anyway. :-?

Dave

troy
28-08-2005, 06:51 AM
I just found out yesterday that Club Marine is actually the same price as Suncorp who i had my last boat insured with.
I was very surprised.
troy

gawby
28-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Ive got my boat insured with club marine for $24,000 and it costs me $441 a year.
$65- of this is stamp duty and gst.
They give a good range of conditions and i dont think i could get the same shopping around and cutting the price.
I would be suggesting that if your policy seems to be over the top question it and tell them if they carnt do better you will change. They might do better then.
Graeme

PinHead
28-08-2005, 08:30 AM
I went with Club Marine...cost $1550.00 for the year with a $200 excess..they cover the lot.

revs57
28-08-2005, 08:46 PM
G'day Docko

A couple of years back some local "lads" helped themselves to my GPS, epirb, fire extinguisher and first aid kit, (got home late - left the gear in the boat to clean up the next morning). I found RACQ guys brilliant to deal with. An assessor was right on it and began the process oh, a day or two after. I didn't miss the first aid kit for a week, when I was going out again. I rang the assessor to let him know and ask how to go about adjusting the claim, I got an extra quoteand he processed it straight up...no questions. The whole thing was settled up in a couple of weeks.

Rhys

revs57
28-08-2005, 08:48 PM
ooops sorry Dicko my typing dislexia got the better of me with the last post....

Rhys