PDA

View Full Version : GPS CHARTPLOTTERS

brk
27-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Looking to buy a GPs/chartplotter. dont know whether to get Lowrance, Garmin or Navman. If you could buy any model under $2000, what would you get? Appreciate the benefit of your experience.

brk
27-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Just to clarify, I have been looking at the Lowrance 3500c, the Garmin 178c and the Navman 5600 or 5500. Many thanks. BRK

bobp
28-08-2005, 11:54 AM
hi brk
i have 2 combo units one is the lorwance x-15c witch us a navionics chat
athe other is navman 6600 track fish witch uses c-map maxi chart

the navionics chat is is better offshore . showing more bottom contors
the c-map is better better for around ports .other adv. bigger map, green zones
the navman is also simpler to use .
i fish mainly offshore is i run my lowance is my chartploter and the navman as my sounder.
the lowance is about 3to 4 yrs old now and alot has happened in the time.

things to look for in a chartplotter are
ez of use as
screem size (more picsals the clearer the pic)
how far can you zoom in on your map
look at the mapping for your area and see witch one shows the best detail for your area

bob

scuttlebutt
28-08-2005, 08:55 PM
I've had a 178C for about a year and it's great. More features than I know what to do with and the map detail is terrific. More detailed than a printed navigational chart. I haven't used other chartplotters so I'm not in a position to compare, but I can say that I'm very happy with mine.

cheers,

steve

revs57
28-08-2005, 09:11 PM
G'day

Have you considered the Raymarine RC435 I think it is? I began with a furuno gp31 a nice little plotter and I liked the way ti worked but it got knicked so i replaced it with a Navman 550i...i wasn't so impressed with the way the navman moved between screens although eventually (after 2yrs) I got used to it (I'm a little technologically challenged! :-/) I'm building a new boat and considering the same question and I'm pretty impressed with the Raymarine product. I purchased their DX500 digital sounder and its a beauty and figure the GPS would be just as good. I like the way it moves between screens. Talking to the guy at our local Bias, he showed me aan eagle unit and said it was the same as a Lowrance and at under $1000.00 a much cheaper unit and as the dealer pointed out all the detail is in the software. I'd like to be able to afford the Raymarine, but I may well go for the cheaper eagle/lowrance unit - depends how the budget looks at the end of our build!

all the best with your purchase

Rhys