PDA

View Full Version : Electric Trailer #WINCHES

troy
28-08-2005, 08:04 AM
Can anyone give me advise on the brand of winches on the market today.
And what brand is the best.
I am not sure but do many of you use them down south.
Up here the ramps are tidal and very steep ,so a 6 mertre boat is a bit of a job with a hand winch especially when the trailer wheels do not go for a swim.
thanks
troy

westie
28-08-2005, 09:12 AM
troy... I use a Powerwinch 712A it is rated at 2000Lb Boat and my boat is a 485 savage and it is Bloody Great, I would never own a boat without one again, combine that with a Retrivamate loading system and it is a 1 man show if you just went for the retrievamate first you would find you would just drive it on. I use a retractable dog walking lead clipped on to the winch starter so I can opperate it from the back of the trailer and as it mooves up it the lead will retract. One tip is to get the quick release bolts for mounting, that way you just slide the winch off and put it in the back of the vehicle the cost of the winch from Whitworths is around $800 quick release bolt kit $50 then you have to get the vehicle wired up It is a lot of $ but when you seel the rig you can just put the original back on. If I was you go for the 912 for $ 100 extra 3500Lb

troy
28-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Hi westie how do i go about contacting Whitworsts
troy

westie
28-08-2005, 07:59 PM
where are you

troy
28-08-2005, 08:06 PM
north queesland and also i was looking on e bay today about power winches and i would appreciate it very much if you would have a look under power winches and give your opinion.
regards
troy

westie
28-08-2005, 08:31 PM
http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_searchresults.asp

have a look Powerwinch is the brand name

Heath
28-08-2005, 09:48 PM
I got a 712A as well. Troy, you will need the next size up for sure. The 912.
I have mine with a double line pulley. Absolutely fantastic they are. Beats winding on, plus the blue 3 speeds you usually get on trailers arn't worth a pinch of you know what.

Also ditch the wire rope from the word go & use Dyneema. Bloody great! :)

bj
29-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Excuse my ignorance. What is Dyneema?

Needmorerum
29-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Dyneema, or Dynamica is a nylon type rope that is now used instead of wire rope. Common in the 4WD scene on vehicle mounted winch's, as is Plasma rope. Although Dynamica can handle UV and a bit more knocking around than Plasma, in my opinion.
Troy, I have been looking at electric winch's, and my main concern is the speed. I watched a bloke retreive a 685 Cruise Craft almost as quick as I could drive my 575 onto the trailer. He was using a Superwinch, same as what Toyota option onto Cruisers. When looking around, I found that Warn and Superwinch as well as alot of others that make the 4WD recovery winch's make them for ATV's and the like, that have incredible retrieval speed, and the cost was the same as the normal trailer winch's.

Corry

Needmorerum
29-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Dyneema, or Dynamica is a nylon or synthetic type rope that is now used instead of wire rope. Common in the 4WD scene on vehicle mounted winch's, as is Plasma rope. Although Dynamica can handle UV and a bit more knocking around than Plasma, in my opinion.
Troy, I have been looking at electric winch's, and my main concern is the speed. I watched a bloke retreive a 685 Cruise Craft almost as quick as I could drive my 575 onto the trailer. He was using a Superwinch, same as what Toyota option onto Cruisers. When looking around, I found that Warn and Superwinch as well as alot of others that make the 4WD recovery winch's make them for ATV's and the like, that have incredible retrieval speed, and the cost was the same as the normal trailer winch's.

Corry