PDA

View Full Version : A New Rip Tide on the way!

revs57
28-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Well after much patient deliberation, research, and careful consideration our new Baby is on her way! She is a 6mt (6.6mt overall) Rip Tide Alloy boat Cuddy Cab (www.riptidealloyboats.com.au) powered by a 150 efi Merc. Much careful family planning went into her...The first mate is on side (She got tired of getting cold in our 4.5 mt centre console tinnie - and I'm sure you guys know how testy an uncomfortable first mate can be!!!)...our last child has now settled with a very satisfied new owner and we are expectant...The kids are looking forward to our new arrive too...I talked to Dave at RipTide last friday and she's cut out, ready to be shelled up this week...I sure am looking forward to the gestation period, the dreams, the fish, the good family times, the planning, the trips and getting a bit of hands on diversional therapy in the bulding phase. She's due in December...not sure of a name yet...but she will belong to proud and caring parents!!!

Sportfish_5
28-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Sounds good revs :P

Keep postin some pics here as she is getting built so we all can enjoy.

Cheers

Greg

revs57
28-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Sure will Greg, thanks for your encouragement!

Rhys

propdinger
29-08-2005, 07:20 AM
i have fished out of a few riptide boats and can say you wont be disapointed with the new boat. hope she serves you well

cheers
jeff

revs57
29-08-2005, 07:47 AM
Yeah Jeff, a mate of mine up the Sunny Coast had Dave build him a 6.5mt super console and powered it with a 175 Yam after his brand new Sportsfish sank on its maiden voyage a couple of years back :-?. I've been out with my mate a number of times in the new Rip Tide boat and it is absolutely bl____dy beautiful 8-). Rides well, a great big and stable fishing platform.

When we picked up our old tinnie 4 years ago Dave did a number of mods to our it...that was a bermuda viper (I bought it off the guy whose boat sank by the way) we lifted the floor, built the transom in with a well and live bait tank, Centre consoled it, put in a boat box/seat that could take a nullie in the top and a nullie slid in underneath that I used that for a kill tank. We put bow rails on it and a removable bait board with rod holders completed a very tidy set up that worked a treat. Spray dodgers and a bimini finished it off. Dave's workmanship was among the best alloy work I'd ever seen - apart from him being a great bloke too :D!!!! Nothing is ever too much trouble. I'd been drooling over his bigger boats for years and finally bit the bullet. I think Dave was pleased cause now he doesn't have to mop up the workshop floor after my visits any more!!!!
you reckon we're excited...like kids literally waiting for Christmas!

I'll get some ultrasounds and post them shortly ;)

TonyM
29-08-2005, 07:47 AM
Congratulations Revs!

I hope all goes well with the berth (oops I mean birth!) :D

The difference here I find is that when the new boat is being born the father tends to go through far more pain and physical anxiety than the mother... ::)

revs57
29-08-2005, 08:09 AM
Thanks Tony,

I'm sure the pains of contraction, I mean construction, will be worth it ;D. I can't wait to pass around the cigars!! 8-)

Rhys

StevenM
29-08-2005, 08:45 AM
Sounds good Rhys, Are ya going to leave it under the chrissy tree till the 25th since it is comming in Decemeber. Wish I could get pressys like that for chrissy.

revs57
29-08-2005, 10:33 AM
G'day Hi....Mate, we've got our annual hols at Minnie Water starting 10th of December so hope to have had the naming/baptism/christening ceremony well and truely done by Christmas Day! ;) Last year the water down there were chocka's with slimey's and I inadvertantly hooked into what turned out to be a 100kg plus juvenile black marlin on 10kg snapper gear floating a fresh slimey fillet down our berley tril :o. We up anchored to chase something I knew was pretty big. The fish took us another 3klms toward New Zealand (remember I'm in a 4.5 mt tinnie with my 15yo son) When we first got a look at it after an hour of hard yakka, it was over half the length of the boat! ::) it finally took off and gave us a really nice air show. My boy picked up the snapper gaffs and said "we'll get him!"...I smiled to myself at his youthful enthusiasm! Apart from not having the gear (flying gaffs etc) to land this bugger, the wind was coming up, the chop was getting rougher...so we decided to give it an all or nothing deal, the fish won and I wound up flat on my back on the floor of the boat...It must've been a sight...anyway I wanna have another go!!! :D and hopefully next time have the kinda gear and boat that will be able to stop a fish like that! Ahhhh the dream...it keeps us going back hey...So this new Baby will hopefully be well and truely blooded come Christmas...one can only hope

Cruiser
29-08-2005, 10:59 AM
You'll be happy with that boat Rhys. Dave makes a very nice plate boat (the best in my opinion). Strong and beautifully finished. As you've seen, his sizing is very conservative.

My mate has a Riptide 5.6 Centre Cuddy and it's closer to 6.0m by any other manufacturer. Plenty of cockpit space for fishing out of and your's will be bigger.

Bet you can't wait. Keep us posted on progress.

Chris.

revs57
29-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Yeah Chris,

I couldn't agree more about the build quality of Dave's boats. I've seen stacks of boats that he has built over the past 4 years...remember the drool on the floors??? :P...I think the fact that Dave has his hands on every boat that goes out of Rip Tide guarantees the build quality. He really is pedantic and has an amazing eye for detail. I know Russ, Pete and Ben at Rip Tide too and they work together as a fantastic team...You're right, I can hardly wait...but man I know its gonna be worth it! Roll on December!!!!

revs57
29-08-2005, 11:28 AM
By the way, I'm gonna be in the market for a new trailer too. It will need to be 6.4-6.6mtish from the front post to the rear rollers so if anyone hears of one going cheap that's in good nick I'd sure love to hear about it... :)

Thanks

Rhys

revs57
29-08-2005, 11:38 AM
ooops, heheh I forgot myself...I meant a 6.4-6.6 mt "stroller" or a "pram" with skids or rollers, not fussy, in the last post...getting too excited just talking about it, trailer means road, road means boat ramp, boat ramp means water, water means fish...It sure is tough being an expectant dad! :D

bidkev
29-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Congratulations Rhys. When's the christening and what are you gonna call him/her?

I know exactly how you feel mate as I'm awaiting delivery of a 6.5 Sea Legend. The contractions are keeping me awake at night and my waters are breaking just thinking about getting into the delivery suite.

cheers

kev

revs57
29-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Good on ya' Kev,

We're hoping to be full term towards the end of November allowing a couple of weeks for the weaning with fit out and electrics. Hopefully the she wont be jaundiced as we wont be changing skin colour...doesn't catch any more fish if they're pretty.

Names? On the first post I mentioned the "diversional therapy" of the project. I suggested that as a potential starter name to the first mate last night ...she laughed and said "what do you want to name "it" for?" she just doesn't understand hey!!! :-/ Anyway, because I couldn't do it without her, and we are pregnant with expectation and this is our baby I guess consultation with the first mate is part of the process. I thought perhaps "Reel Therapy" could be another starter...I'm certainly open to any suggestions. How long before your Sea Legend is due Kev? They sure look the part too...waters breaking...love it!!!! ;D

bidkev
29-08-2005, 01:25 PM
Rhys mate, You've got to calm down a bit or you'll end up with a difficult delivery ;D Take some deep breaths and try a bit of meditation ;)

My rig is just awaiting detailing with rego and name, a bung hole cutting and a cover being made. It would have only been a matter of 3 or 4 days but the boat yard is flat out getting ready for the boat show. I'll probably take delivery back end of next week.

I've been doing some maths on the job [smiley=idea.gif]..............all up it's costing around 80 grand. If I get out fishing once a fortnight for the next 10 yrs, then that's 260 fishing trips........260 trips into 80000 means each trip is costing $307.69c before I even begin to look at fuel and maintenance costs. Even if If it only goes 50% depreceation over 10 yrs and I sell it for 40grand then it still costs $153.85c a trip. If you think about it you would never buy a bloody boat [smiley=hammer.gif].......it's frightening :o

The only way that you can reduce the costs of those trips is to get out more ;) That's as good an excuse as any to do more fishing ;D

cheers

kev

revs57
29-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the advice Kev...I guess I've given into the cravings mate!
A Meditation...hmmmm....desert island....hmmmm....marooned with the first mate....hmmmm...nice....hmmm....need to get off the island - eventually (not because of the first mate! She's a ripper)...6mt Rip Tide platey to the rescue...troll a lure on the way home...tight lines...drag screaming...marlin jumping... 2hrs later a 200kg fish tagged...and released...home to the kids...oh well it was only a meditation after all ;D

Damn inconsiderate of them puttin' a boat show on when your baby's due...should see them about a ceasearean and short cut the process...be fishin' this weekend! Yeah, you're sure dead right about the cost, but better than blowing you money on bingo, the pokies, or the neddies. I had a mate years ago who had a lovely new Quinnie and sold it because he reckoned he could buy fish and chips cheaper than fuel and bait...I never did get that guy...yep minimise the cost with more use...way to go bro!!! 8-)

Have you got a name for yours yet Kev?

_Matt_
29-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Hi ya Revs,

I had a look at the riptide alloy boats site and I was impressed by the look of those boats #:o, the cuddy's in particular. What sort of $$ did you pay for your package? I hope to one day be in your shoes waitng for the same sort of thing.

Cheers
Matt

revs57
29-08-2005, 02:09 PM
G'day Matt,

I've heard it said that boat stands for Bring On Another Thousand, but i read somewhere it take a mill$$$ or more to raise a child! ;D Dave's prices are really reasonable...around the early mid $20's for the alloy work. I picked up a 3hr new 2005 150 efi merc from the trading post for $9,500.00...add fit out and trailer another $8,000ish. I'm hoping to get out of the whole project for under $40,000ish at least that's what I've told the first mate ::) I've been stockpiling some electricals so it should be doable. Add anywhere between $8,000-$12,000 for a paint job...hence no beauty therapy for this baby and whalla...a face only a dad could love charging out to the Barwons...chasing reds...go you good thing!!! ;)

_Matt_
29-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Ya did well Revs, you sound like a pretty happy customer. Look forward to seeing some pics. Till then.

Cheers
Matt #[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

bidkev
29-08-2005, 03:02 PM
<snip>

Have you got a name for yours yet Kev?

Mate, don't know if you saw the thread when I decided to purchase the rig. This has happened by way of the deckie being left a few bob from her deceased mum and dad. Her dad was a ripper bloke, a career navy man, and his surname was Sole. We'd like to dedicate the rig to him so it looks atm that we'll either be naming it Sole Mates or Sole Searching (we did a lot of that when deciding whether to spend the money or not). It may even be Aaaah Sole! ;Dbut we're not sure yet.

You're right mate, this expecting business sure brings on the cravings........I keep craving for a downrigger and a couple of Shimanos ;)

cheers

kev

revs57
29-08-2005, 03:14 PM
I missed the early thread Kev so thanks for filling in the gap...Nice touch - name and all...and I like the story...yep the first mate and I went through a lot of soul searching before the big committment to "invest" in our baby, but there is nothing that brings a parent more joy than to see a child performing to capacity...I'm sure your deckies dad would be proud! So here's to full live bait tanks and screaming reels! Yahooooooo....

StevenM
29-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Kev,

What are you doing working our what it will cost you per trip.

Think about it as relaxing and therapy and boating and fishing and entertaining and probably much more ings. That way the cost is less.

Cheers Steven

bidkev
29-08-2005, 04:26 PM
You've got it sussed Steven :D If it costs $120 for a 1 hour appointment with a shrink (which it does) then just how much money are we saving by 8 hrs fishing therapy? ;D

cheers

kev

PinHead
29-08-2005, 04:36 PM
Rhys mate, You've got to calm down a bit or you'll end up with a difficult delivery ;D Take some deep breaths and try a bit of meditation ;)

My rig is just awaiting detailing with rego and name, a bung hole cutting and a cover being made. It would have only been a matter of 3 or 4 days but the boat yard is flat out getting ready for the boat show. I'll probably take delivery back end of next week.

I've been doing some maths on the job [smiley=idea.gif]..............all up it's costing around 80 grand. If I get out fishing once a fortnight for the next 10 yrs, then that's 260 fishing trips........260 trips into 80000 means each trip is costing $307.69c before I even begin to look at fuel and maintenance costs. Even if If it only goes 50% depreceation over 10 yrs and I sell it for 40grand then it still costs $153.85c a trip. If you think about it #you would never buy a bloody boat [smiley=hammer.gif].......it's frightening :o

The only way that you can reduce the costs of those trips is to get out more ;) That's as good an excuse as any to do more fishing ;D

cheers

kev

Bloody hell Kev...I just worked out on your 260 trips...costs me $784.62 before fuel etc...sheesh
I think I need a beer or several.

TonyM
29-08-2005, 04:51 PM

I've been doing some maths on the job [smiley=idea.gif]..............all up it's costing around 80 grand. If I get out fishing once a fortnight for the next 10 yrs, then that's 260 fishing trips........260 trips into 80000 means each trip is costing $307.69c before I even begin to look at fuel and maintenance costs. Even if If it only goes 50% depreceation over 10 yrs and I sell it for 40grand then it still costs $153.85c a trip. If you think about it #you would never buy a bloody boat [smiley=hammer.gif].......it's frightening :o

cheers

kev

Bloody hell Kev...I just worked out on your 260 trips...costs me $784.62 before fuel etc...sheesh

I'm not going anywhere near those maths! The missus now sees the 530 as a future tender for her real boat (you are so dead westie) :o

Seriously though - how can you put a price on the sheer exhillaration of getting a new boat/car whatever? I'm a good little consumer and it's my job to buy stuff! ;D

Another cool thing is the new boat/s will save on chiro bills too ;)

bidkev
29-08-2005, 05:06 PM
[quote author=kingtin link=1125232563/10#15 date=1125285933]<snip>

I'd need more than several if I was you..........top of my head maths puts your rig at around 205grand <swoon>

Bloody hell mate, you don't want to be getting blood and guts on it ;D

Just been offered a 2000 Prado with only 110 on the clock for 21grand..........it won't pull the rig :'( Looks like I'm looking at a 100 series and even more pennies to find :o

cheers

kev

revs57
29-08-2005, 05:16 PM
You guys are a crack up [smiley=lolk.gif]!!! I think Tony has the right idea saving on chiro bills...200,000klms on the harley around Qld & NT over the past 5 years has my back nicely stuffed. Yep, the platey will be an excuse not to travel so much, look after my back, and be a great outlet for "theraputic" purposes and a few beers after the clean up for a season of lies about those that didn't get away!!!! I'm impressed that you have done the sums Kev, but the money will be well spent...can't take it with us!!!!

$21g's for a prado...that's not bad...I've a mate in the wholesale game, he may be able to save you a few buck if you tell me what you're looking for and price range....He picked up a reasonable klm 100 series, a petrol auto, converted it to Gas and his missus is running around in it for somewhere around $23g's so there are some bargains out there...let me know if you want me to chase him up

Rhys

Rhys

PinHead
29-08-2005, 05:24 PM
[quote author=kingtin link=1125232563/10#15 date=1125285933]<snip>

I'd need more than several if I was you..........top of my head maths puts your rig at around 205grand <swoon>

Bloody hell mate, you don't want to be getting blood and guts on it ;D

Just been offered a 2000 Prado with only 110 on the clock for 21grand..........it won't pull the rig :'( Looks like I'm looking at a 100 series and even more pennies to find :o

cheers

kev

This year I have spent:
Tinny - $10K
Inflatable - $2K
Boat - $190K
Insurance - $1500
Mooring - $3300

And now she ask why I want to go to the boat show..no understanding some people

PinHead
29-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Congrats on the new boat revs..the worst part is the waiting for it.

TonyM
29-08-2005, 05:30 PM
haha you poor bugger Pinhead, sounds like your missus is wayyy too hard on you, I sympathise as mine too is extremely unreasonable, when I mentioned the upcoming trip to Awoonga she even had the gall to ask "How long will you be gone?" ;D

hmmm maybe her boyfriend is in town around then? :-? (kidding)

revs57
29-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Cheers Pin,

It's all in the expectation... I just hope the cravings are manageable! ;) You guys certainly help...

rhys

TonyM
29-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Maybe ausfish needs a new chat forum called "the waiting room" for expectant boaties? [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

PinHead
29-08-2005, 06:21 PM
haha you poor bugger Pinhead, sounds like your missus is wayyy too hard on you, I sympathise as mine too is extremely unreasonable, when I mentioned the upcoming trip to Awoonga she even had the gall to ask "How long will you be gone?" #;D

hmmm maybe her boyfriend is in town around then? #:-? (kidding)

she did help choose the new boat so she cannot complain...after almost 25 years I should be used to her by now

revs57
29-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Hey I think Tony is onto a great idea [smiley=idea.gif]...then we could all pace up and down our computor keyboards together ;)

familyman
29-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Kev you might want to consider some lateral thinking on the tow vehicle.
what about a light truck ie daihatsu delta or similar or maybe an old ford f150 or chev c20 .Or maybe a new f250 7litre v8 turbo diesel :o
cheers jon

bidkev
29-08-2005, 08:25 PM
what about a light truck ie daihatsu delta or similar or maybe an old ford f150 or chev c20 .Or maybe a new f250 7litre v8 turbo diesel :o
cheers jon

Thought about that Jon, but sometimes there can be as many as 9 in our household. There's 6 permanent residents so we need those extra seats the 4x4 provides.

cheers

kev

PinHead
29-08-2005, 08:25 PM
cheers jon

there ya go Kev..the F250...another 70 to 80k for a tow vehicle..I was thinking about one of them for a work truck but I think I could have torubles trying to reverse park it in the city.

bidkev
29-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks for that Rhys but my son's best mate's dad is a well known car dealer in Brizzy and he's found me a couple of nice deals so far............well they would be nice deals if they had the guts to pull over 2.5 tonnes :D. Will give you a shout if he can't come up with something.

cheers

kev

revs57
30-08-2005, 07:47 AM
Hey guys, just saw pin's new baby...he's got twins!!!! ;)

revs57
30-08-2005, 07:59 AM
Hey Kev, yeah happy to help if its needed

Part of our family planning was considering the pram tow vehicle!

We've got a holden frontera V6, the thing might be perhaps a little light, but the 3.2 has heaps of grunt at 151kw (200hp in old lingo)...I'm gonna give it a try with the Rip Tide. I hope the baby is gonna come in under 2000kg...should be close...the Frontera is rated to tow 2000kg...my major concern is the beach launch at Minnie...the sand in the bay is really firm up the end...and we can drive it up the beach rather than try and pull it over the top, but I'm just a little concerned at that initial movement with the baby on the pram rocking her backwards and pulling her out could stretch the clutch a bit and that could be disastrous...

I read the specs on a Prado...its rated to 2500kg's isn't it? A mate of mine has one he's looking at trading up and I tought about it...but don't really want to spend any more $$$ until we have the build completed. How heavy is your sea legend?

Rhys