PDA

View Full Version : Trouble starting motor

deanybean
29-08-2005, 07:45 PM
I was out in the boat today and my 115 johno 77 model wouldn't start to get me home. The motor starts fine when cold but gets harder to start as the day goes on. Today I was jigging for squid in Swansea channel with a cross wind so the drift was short thefore the motor was started many times and the boat speed really didn't reach over 15knots.The battery is fine and the fuel bulb is hard.The motor wants to start but with maybe one cylinder firing.
Anyway Igot a tow back to the ramp( thanks to the bloke in the 10' tinny,onya mate) got the boat home and the bloody thing started frist kick.
any advice would be great. thanks. :-/

fisho
29-08-2005, 07:51 PM
I'd be looking at a fuel problem. Maybe dodgy fuel or poor fuel intake. Do you run a fuel filter - if not go get one! ;)

deanybean
29-08-2005, 09:30 PM
I replaced the filter about amonth ago

-spiro-
30-08-2005, 09:33 AM
has the filter got a water seperator on it?
One thing i do is put a bit of metho in my tank every 3months or so. This gets rid of any water that is in the tank 8-)

DNO40
30-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Check the carbies, I had a similiar problem some years back. New seals and a clean she was as good as gold.

May not be your answer but sounds close to the same problem.

FNQCairns
30-08-2005, 09:59 AM
This not usual advice but run some engine tuner (decarboniser(sp) any outboard brand, not a fuel additive) through that old girl she probably is in bad need of waking up anyway.

I would bet a pound or two that your warm start problem also goes away or is at least greatly reduced. You may need to go hard at it though, it will feel like a new motor after the process.

Don't do it on concrete the chunks of carbon from around the exhaust ports that come out of the prop hub is easy to clean up but the rest of the black mess from the piston/rings and cyl head and leg exhaust tube will make an unshiftable mess.

If it still plays up consider a carb rebuild as a minimum.

With care those old girls will go forever!

Cheers fnq

jimbamb
30-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Could be you flooded it.Easily done when makin small shifts and not gettin a chance to clear all unburned fuel.Usually start when you get home as the unburned fuel has evaporated away.