PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst ramps in Bris?

New_fisher
29-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Hey Guys, Any ideas on the best place to launch a boat in Bris? It's a 4.1m boat, and I didn't want the trailer to get nicked while I was out, nor did I want any rocks or drop off's to spoil my day - so any ideas for the overall best spot, safe, easy launching, no crowds, secure, parking etc...
Cheers Hurlz. P.S. also the one's to stay away from would be good, thanks boys

Fishin_Dan
29-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Any particular area of Brisbane? Where are you aiming to go to? (ie Moreton, Mud, etc)

New_fisher
29-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Yeah never been out in Moreton before, more than likely from the south side, is it worth launching from the ramp near Jindalee and cruising up the river, or does that take too much time - also I heard that there is a lot of sh%t in the Bris river, is this something to be wary of? I don't want to damage my prop on the first trip out!!! Basically I just want to do some fishing in the Bay, so anywhere close would be good!!

Fishin_Dan
29-08-2005, 04:50 PM
Ultimately it comes down to where you want to fish... If your planning on fishing the close islands (Mud, Green, etc), and you're on the southside, then it could be worth having a look at Manly boat ramp. It's a good ramp, and I've launched there before. It has a little beach next to the ramp.

You could also try going down to Wellington Point. Although I believe that parking is minimal? You do however have all the inner reefs there for those squire (If Aquirius has left any!!!) 8-)

If you are looking to launch in the river, then Colmslie on the southside is a good ramp. It has a sand beach at the side as well as a pontoon for letting passengers on/off. The river will have a little bit more stuff in it than the bay, but it's usually pretty good. I've never seen too much stuff in it... But if you keep your eyes open, you'll be right.

Hope this helps... I'm sure there will be many other responses from people that live on the southside. These are just a few I've used...

brisvegasjack
29-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Wellington Pt is a good long concrete ramp to launch from at mid to low tide except there is nothing to secure the boat to at high tide if solo while parking the trailer. Approx 70 trailer parks, but you will be fined if parking on the grass. Good to get there early. Fairly exposed to the bay elements. Cleveland and Victoria Pt get very crowded especially coming back in the afternoon. Manly is also good for smaller boats if you are going to St Helena or close islands. Also gets very crowded. I have never had any problems leaving my trailer for the day at any of these ramps.

lil_boatie
29-08-2005, 06:29 PM
VICTORIA POINT IS DA BEST!!!!!!!!!!

Baycruiser
29-08-2005, 11:02 PM
There's a ramp at Pinkenbar. Not the best facilities wise but close to the river mouth. Can be a bit exposed to weather at times & watch out for the Talgalooma Flyer.............pushes a mean wake over the ramp...........time it wrong & your boat might turn into a cartoper!! >:( There is a small sand beach section that you can beach on to let people on/off.

I have a good drive on trailer, so have learnt to launch and retrieve on my own there. If you can't do this with your boat make sure you have a deckie to give you a hand. Otherwise, Comslie is a better ramp facilities wise.......has floating pontoon, etc.

StevenM
30-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Its a long trip up the river from Jindalee Hurlz. Whyte Island is fine. Stay away from deepwater bend ramp. You might not get your trailer nicked but the whole shooting match, or a bit of broken glass and a empty car.

Cheers Steven

Fishin_Dan
30-08-2005, 10:11 AM
If the boat is fibreglass, Pinkenba might not be the best ramp... Can be a bit rocky around there, and the sand is more gravelly/muddy/sand rather than nice "traditional" sand

Vic1
30-08-2005, 12:22 PM
My suggestion

Stay away from Cleveland if you have a fibreglass boat (esp on weekend) as there is only a tiny patch of sand to share with everyone else (on the RHS)when bringing the boat in, on the left of the ramp are big rocks and mud. Wellingtom Point is by far the better option

bidkev
30-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Manly's the go. Sand beach and rubber strips on the steps at high. Also a pretty open large car park to deter the deadbeats. No heavy tidal flow to talk of as well.

cheers

kev

Steven78
30-08-2005, 06:31 PM
I Love White Island. Easy to self launch, very good security.
And there is allways a good Ausfish member there to help if things get out of hand...

Pwoida
31-08-2005, 09:40 AM
Nudgee Beach for me. I like the low peir that runs right alongside the ramp cause you can walk the boat to the end and take your time to warm up the motor in the deep water. The ramp is nice and wide and there's beach on the other side. Very protected from the elements and good access to the mid bay region.

DaneCross
31-08-2005, 05:48 PM
My suggestion

Stay away from Cleveland if you have a fibreglass boat (esp on weekend) as there is only a tiny patch of sand to share with everyone else (on the RHS)when bringing the boat in, on the left of the ramp are big rocks and mud. Wellingtom Point is by far the better option
When were you down there last Vik1? Last time I was down there they had dumped a truck-load of sand over the gravel, it was like a beach! It may have washed away though :-/
Hurlz, if you're not after rocks, mud, drop-offs, car bodies, dead cows, stay away from Skinners Park (Logan River). ::)
Jacobs Well and Cabbage Tree Pt have good ramps and nice beaches. Cleveland is good, Manly is good. The others I have used have one (or more) of those negatives you've described.
Dane

Vic1
31-08-2005, 07:43 PM
At Cleveland 3 days ago..........that sand must wash away fast, either that or another truck bought a big load of rocks to lay on top of the sand ;D

Fishin_Dan
01-09-2005, 08:20 AM
At Cleveland 3 days ago..........that sand must wash away fast, either that or another truck bought a big load of rocks to lay on top of the sand ;D

That's so the sand won't wash away!!! ;D ;D ;D

skippa
01-09-2005, 09:46 AM
I was down there a few weeks ago, might have changed by now tho, but I found u'd pull up on the sand at high tide and back to the rocks at low.

DaneCross
01-09-2005, 01:53 PM
Ahh well. I was there over 2mths ago :-[ Looks like the sand didnt last long hey? ::) What were they thinking, really?

Vic1
01-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Yep instead on spending on sand, like to see RSC get with the program at Cleveland and install a floating pontoon like the one at Victoria Point.

I'd even go so far to say Id be happy to pay $5 each time I launched my boat there to go towards the pontoon (until paid off!!!!) With the amount of boats launching from Cleveland through the week, with everyone paying, it wouldn't take that long to pay it off...........over a good weekend up to 200 boats would go out from here......

I know Im going to get some posts disagreeing, but I believe in a user pays scheme to improve our facilities...ceratinly better than a load of sand that last 1 week.....

skippa
01-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Vic1,

I thought we already had a user pays system. What do we get for boat and boat trailer rego?

And the RSC, well they have demonstrated time and time again they show no consideration towards the boaties of the shire.

Makes me laugh, in a recent local publication the Mayor toils the many benefits of the shire .....
'The Redlands remains attractive to people moving to the region ....(describing many benefits).... and of course, our fantastic shoreline to Moreton Bay'

Obviously he meant the bay had to enjoyed from a redeveloped park somewhere and not in a boat launched from anywhere in the Redlands.

Well had my winge now, off to bed ......

Cheers,
Tony

first_mate
02-09-2005, 09:56 PM
I like to launch from Horizon Shores @ Jacobs Well.
Sure it costs $10 to get in, but you get a safe car park, easy launch, pontoon and jetty so the missus doesn't have to get wet getting in the boat. 1 hour to Peel, about 1/2 hour to northern Broadwater.

They also have a gold coin wash down machine

Cabbage Tree Point and Jacobs Well get too busy.

Regards,
Angus

Seahorse
03-09-2005, 10:38 AM
fishing the pin, cabbage tree is best. never ever use ramp beside ferry at vic pt. what a hole. got to worst in australia.