PDA

View Full Version : Stainless vs Alloy Pro

falcon01
03-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi I need to buy a new prop could anyone tell me the pros and cons of both these prop types

Jackie99
04-09-2005, 07:03 PM
I've had a couple of stainless props on different motors - small (15HP) and large (70 hp). They are great and you notice the improved performance - even on small motors. Try to get one that has cupped blades, and check that the prop pitch is suitable for your boat. I currently have a S/S on a 15 HP and it performs more like a 20. Apparently the advantage is that they are heavier and spin easier and the cupped blades give more thrust.

-spiro-
04-09-2005, 07:38 PM
stainless dose'nt get damaged as much either or flex when its powering along 8-)

Manjilad
05-09-2005, 01:47 AM
Me too - need to replace the 5 year old alloy champion (retire as a spare). Solas tell me SS is the go for efficience, fuel savings and recommend upgrade to 4 blade from 3 blade (175hp 2 stroke) for better midrange performance especially "off shore" he says. Sounds too good to be true. $850 (3 blade) Vs $320 for alloy .......
BUT my concern is on that day when the prop hits something HOW MUCH OF MY MOTOR WILL BE LEFT?

MY Questions:
1. Do SS props save much in fuel? Or is it imagines &/or insignificant?
2. Do SS props really cause Gearbox damage in reality? Anyone experience this?
3. 4 blades sounds good with "better out the hole" and "less on/off the throttle in offsure swell" etc Is this true?
4. Does anyone carry a spare prop now days???
Cheers and TIA (thanks in advance)

blaze
05-09-2005, 06:19 AM
Stainless props can cause serius gearbox failure.
Holeshot isnt as good as it takes more to spinup the heavier ss prop
4 blade props have better hole shot than 3
4 blade props have poor reverse
I always carry a spare prop
often people can be talked into buying the prop with the highest profit margin (SS)
Pm for more info
cheers
blaze