PDA

View Full Version : 5.3mtr Savage....your thoughts please!

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
02-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Hello all in Ausfish land!

A friend has offered me his boat for sale and I just thought I would run it past you for thoughts and opinions.

5.3 metre Savage Lancer - Aluminium - with f/glass cuddy style cab. 90 hp oil injected V4 Johnson, s/s prop, t @ t, sounder/fish finder, epirb, new marine radio, dual batts, isolation switch, fire ext, all safety gear. 85 ltr underfloor fuel tank, s/s bimini hard top, rear mount cutting board/rod holder, burley bucket, live bait pump, new bilge pump. All new wiring to cabin lights etc. Galv trailer, new tyres, bearings and springs.
Boat and motor are 1985 models. He has asked me for 10k.

What do you think? Would you consider this to be good buying? How do these boats perform?
Also, how much work/expense would be involved in fitting a full/half pod? Despite the extra room it would provide, would it alter boat performance etc??

I really would appreciate your honest opinions and advice on this one please! Don't hold back, good or bad!!!

Cheers to you all
Dave

Gbanger
02-09-2005, 04:18 PM
how many hours on the outboard

how does it compare to this boat?
http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBoatID=1122597&TabID=3338&Alias=boatpointau

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
02-09-2005, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure of the hours on the motor GB but I am sure there would be quite a few. Having said that, it has been regularly serviced and well maintained. It is very reliable.
Comparing the 5.4 you showed: That 5.4 has probably got more bells and whistles, it has a tandem trailer (the 5.3 is single axel), and the 5.4 is twice the price. I guess it makes the 5.3 look pretty good.

Thanks and cheers for the input.

Dave

foggy
02-09-2005, 05:44 PM
any picks. If you don,t want it, I know someone that might.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
02-09-2005, 08:18 PM
I don't have any piccies. I'm interested in buying it but would like thoughts and opinions from others.................please!!!!

Dave

FNQCairns
03-09-2005, 12:28 AM
Dave they were ahead of their time and must still be a great boat I have had nothing to do with them for many years now from around the time they swapped names/sizes with the osprey I forget now exactly how that worked.
Anyway Firefly is grossly overpriced imo, if the length suits you will not do much better than one of these, bearing in mind they are a pressed aluminum boat with all the typical on the water light weight issues pressed boats have but these were one of the best behaved hulls around, equivalent quintrex's didn't even go close.

You might have guessed I like them!. To me what the Vsea was to fibreglass boats the lancer was to pressed boats if you get my drift.

No idea on what price they do actually sell for now? $10000 might even be too high. Repowering in a year or two is very expensive on top of a $10000 purchase price the way most people do it. An 85 v4 90 in typical condition for would be worth around $2000 with good compression and running well. Some heavy net research might be in order.

Good luck with it, fnq.

krazyfisher
03-09-2005, 08:20 AM
I would think it is a bit dear, I know you dont get alot for 10k but if the motor goes add 10k too it than ask yourself would you be happy with that boat and a new motor for $20000 if yes than buy it a boat is so personal it is hard for anyone to really make a comment.
good luck

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
05-09-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the contributions. To replace the motor perhaps somewhere in the near future would make this an expensive deal. Maybe we will just keeping looking around for a while. We still have the Jabiru so I guess there's no real hurry.

Thanks all
Dave