PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Sport

backhoe
04-09-2005, 06:15 PM
Looking at getting a Quintrex 480 Freedom Sport but am getting conflicting reports from the dealers. One reckons a 4 stroke 60 isn't enough and the opposition reckons a 4 stroke 80 is too much. Won't be pulling two skiers around but don't want it to be underpowered either. Has anyone had any experience with these boats? If so what power did they have and how did they perform? Any dramas?
Backhoe

saphire
04-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Hi Backhoe,
Here is the manufacturers website for Freedom Sport.
http://www.quintrex.com.au/view_boat.aspx?stockc=BM48FSQMT#specs
As long as you keep within the recomendations you should be fine.
I am also interested to hear what other freedom sport owners have to say as they seem like nice boats.
Dont own one though. Yet :-/

basserman
04-09-2005, 08:18 PM
don't own one and i have a mate that does but not that size
he has a 560 freedom sport and he takes it outside trolling and fishing a fair bit not a problem
not the most comftable but does the job

it is a good alround type boat but as it is big enoght for outside yet small enoght for river work and with plenty of room for family BBQ

pockets
04-09-2005, 10:24 PM
I've got a 4.75 bar raider with a 60 4stroke. can't fault the motor gets me around just nicely, excellent fuel economy, leave it running while flicking the plastics around no problems. Haven't looked back after going from 2 stoke to a 4.
looked at tHe freedom sports before purchasing and only went this way due to the extra fishing room. A lot of wasted space if it's used mostly for fishing.
but thats only my opinion
cheers

nonibbles
04-09-2005, 10:29 PM
I've got a 500 (first version) with a 2-stroke 70HP on back. Nice boat, good allrounder. But being my first boat it was a good one for me to work out what I really wanted. The next one's gonna be a bit more fishing friendly.

southernson
05-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Friends have a 500 with 90 ficht n couldnt fault it. Take it offsure after macks n bottom bashing, ski, good allrounder. Might be getting a 480 in the next year or 2 n ive spoken to a few places n i get the idea from them that a 60 4s would be a bit underpowered, with an 80 at least your not flogging the poor little 60, less work on the motor in other words
Cheers

clutter
05-09-2005, 05:01 PM
A mate has the 570 with a Suzuki 140 on the back, loves it and wouldn't have anything else. If you can afford it go the 80 if the boat is rated for it both weight and HP wise. You don't have to drive it flat out all the time but sometimes the extra HP can be of an advantage.

Cheers, Clutter

WOOF
05-09-2005, 05:26 PM
I've just bought a new F/S 480 with a 75hp 2 stroke Merc. It flies at WOT (about 5500rpm) and cruises effortlessly at 3500 and is surprisingly good on the fuel at those cruise revs.
I had exactly the same experience with the dealers. "60hp too small.....60hp easily enough...etc etc". Dealers will tend to sell you something that makes them the most $$, or who they are affiliated with.
Go for the best set up that suits you. I'd go for the biggest donk possible (75 - 80hp).....better to have more power than not quite enough. I'm sure the 60hp would be fine, but considering the 480 is an all rounder (ski, tube, fish, cruise, family outings, portable esky with the hull storage!) then the larger the donk the better.
I wont open the 2/4 stroke debate but my advice is to get on the water and test different makes, both 2 and 4 stroke in various hp sizes. I tried 4 different set ups in this boat before making my decision.
Great boats....you'll love it.

Big_Kev
05-09-2005, 06:40 PM
I had a 4.75 center console with the Yammie 60/4 on the back.
It did the job quite easy for a fishing rig but it was no speed machine either with only a 13 pitch prop.
If you are looking at pulling a skier I would be getting the bigger donk for sure.

Make sure the hull is specked for the power and weight of the 80/4 stroke.

If not I would go for the 75/2 Merc over the 70/2 yammie as it has bigger cubic displacement, also is more then likely cheaper then the 4 stroke.

backhoe
05-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the input guys.
Got mates to get onto Quintrex/Yamaha dealers they know in other places too so hopefully their opinions might be a bit more impartial. One said outright that a 60 isn't enough and need to go for the 80 but will probably need a stingray fin or similar to perform.
The other reckoned that it could cope with a 60 but the 80 would be best.
Looks like it will be the 80.
Has anyone had experience with 80hp Yamaha 4-stroke? Good or bad? I've heard that the 60 4-stroke isn't the best outboard in the range but haven't heard much about the 80.
Backhoe

clutter
05-09-2005, 10:39 PM
No experience with the 80 but never heard anything bad about them, think Harry Watson had one on his old Wildfisher that he was pretty pleased with. Ive got a 40 4st and have 4 mates with the 60's and they all love them, so do I. Next motor on next boat will most likely be a Yammy 4 stroke.

Cheers, Clutter