PDA

View Full Version : Closest reef for snorkeling from t'ville

Stolly
04-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Can anybody tell me of a nice reef to snorkel around from t'ville. I am planning to go for a fish but i have some visitors that would like to see the reef. Is Keeper Reef the closest?

borisdog
05-09-2005, 08:20 AM
Yes, Keeper is the closest from TSV, roughly 60km. If you're prepared to drive up to Lucinda and launch there then Bramble/Trunk/Britomart are all closer than that - Bramble being just over 40km. Other alternatives are Acheron and Esk islands - both of them have pretty nice shallow fringing coral.

Robbo_Townsville
05-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Neber dived it but it does have the occasional trout is Middle Reef. Very very close but it might not be that spectacular

cooky
06-09-2005, 11:35 AM
FLorence Bay, Magnetic Island has reef decent for snorkelling. Calm and beautiful to stop for a swim

Robbo_Townsville
06-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Second that Cooky, Florence Bay is well worth a look but you cant fish.

Stolly
06-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Thanks, I will see how the weather pans out but will definately have a look at Florence Bay. I think i will be towing to Lucinda in future for outer reef though.
Thanks Again

Mad_Barry
06-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Close from Lucinda you might look around the northern end of Orpheous, has some good fringing reef. A stop at yanks Jetty further down Orpheous is also a good spot for visitors. Take half a loaf of bread to break up & feed the fish while you have lunch. All sorts of things will come out from under there if there's a free feed on :)