PDA

View Full Version : EPIRB Repair or Discard

BLOCKER
31-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Just a quick question on EPIRB`s I have one that came with the boat I have recently purchased but is out of date. Are they worthwhile to repair or just discard and replace as I have seen them priced for around the $200.00 mark?

BLOCKER

Fishin_Dan
31-08-2005, 12:44 PM
There are companies that will swap you your existing one for a new one for a reduced price. Not sure what the changeover figure is, but I'm sure there will be people here who do...

Even BIAS or Whitworths should do it (Or at least know who will)

basserman
31-08-2005, 01:08 PM
on many of the epirb's you can also replace the battreys and stamping a new used by date double the life just depends if this has happend already and the condition of the epirb

joeT
31-08-2005, 01:19 PM
My understanding is that to replace the battery will cost you close to $200. I'd rather replace it with a brand new one then get a new battery for one thats been bashed around the boat for a few years. The swap idea sounds good though if you can find a place.

Billo
31-08-2005, 02:43 PM
analogue or digital ?

if analogue , you may be better throwing it out and getting a new digital .
Believe digital will be the minimum requirment for offshore waters within 18 months anyway ...correct me if i am wrong ..??

$5-600 from memory

if someone will give you a few bucks for trade in ...bonus !

Gbanger
31-08-2005, 02:56 PM
I think the 406mhz ones are going to be standard in qld by 2009 (if i recall correctly), if thats what you are talking about billo...

im going to buy a cheaper one untill i have to buy the 406 mhz one

BLOCKER
31-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Thanks very much for the advise. I will have a look at Bias and Whitworths as new maybe the netter option as to have this one repaired as I am not fully aware of the conditions it has been kept in. OOnce again thank you very much

BLOCKER

kevy
31-08-2005, 05:23 PM
hi blocker, costs about $110 dollars to get your epirb updated. cheers, kevy. ;) ;)

reel-em-in
31-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Priced this exact scenario today.

New MT300 GME $189 (Wynnum Marine)
Battery replacement $175 (Nu marine)

Suggest you go the new unit - will still be covered until December 2009.

rajawolf
01-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Whitworths are having a sale Friday and Saturday 2,3 September 15% off everything, so the GME M300 @ $189 -15% off.

Fishin_Dan
02-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Whitworths are having a sale Friday and Saturday 2,3 September 15% off everything, so the GME M300 @ $189 -15% off.

Bugger! Wish I'd known that before I spent $100 on Thinners & Epifill yesterday!!! :'(

rajawolf
03-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Fishin_Dan,

Mate I feel your pain, I bought all new roller's and pins for my trailer last weekend from them, not a happy chappy. >:(

maxis
03-09-2005, 10:16 PM
epirb new $159 at boat show cunninghams marine (maybe to late now)

SeaSaw
03-09-2005, 10:39 PM
I had my epirb battery replaced by GME. They don't just change the battery, but the electronics and anything else that isn't up to scratch. From memory it was only about $40 cheaper than a new one, but I basically got a new one as they replaced the battery, electronics and they weren't happy with the case either so they replaced that too, so ended up with a complete new unit anyway. ;) :)

It is a safety issue, so they won't send one back out unless they are completely happy that it will last another 5 years. I guess there would be liability issues if they did and something went wrong. So for a fixed price they will replace anything that is old, so don't worry if your old unit is not much good. Better $40 in yout pocket than someone elses.

Cheers,

Mark

nisrol
06-09-2005, 09:17 PM
;D Guy's why bother racing around everywhere looking for the cheapest EPIRB availible look up electrophone in the phone book and go to there address the will exchange your old one with a new one for what i have been told $115 . :o

cheers andy

Bosunsmate
07-09-2005, 09:30 PM
I have no need for an EPIRB but was chatting with the local BIAS guys the other week and the subject of EPIRBS came about. This is briefly what was discussed,

Digital is to replace the analogue as standard by mid 2008.

The old analogue EPIRB's are useless cause the rescue organisation in Canberra will not activate unless they have recieved at least three signals from your EPIRB, meaning you could wait upto 14 hours from time of EPIRB activation before the rescue authorities will be sent to find you. Also said that the analogue is only accurate to within 10 miles...

But, was told that the new digital allows activation of rescue services within an hour or so of EPIRB activation and that they are accurate to within 10 metres.....

After this information I would be looking at the new digital ones......I suppose its a case of you get what you pay for.......why scrimp and save when it comes to saving you and your kids/family/friends lives.....IMHO anyway