PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol fuel !!! Anyone

Sandman
03-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Just a little curious about your thoughts on the use of ethanol in an outboard!! Anyone tried or know the effects on outboard motors?
Sandman

westie
03-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Bugger the Ethanol with the price of fuel I want to find someone to convert mine to GAS

Sandman
03-09-2005, 07:17 PM
would be great WC but i think at this point we are stuck with it :(

coasty
03-09-2005, 08:28 PM
saw a 19 foot carrabeen at forster running an inboard on lpg.
dont know the legality but it was running
ethanol shouldnt kill your motor unless there is too much in the fuel mix

The_Walrus
03-09-2005, 08:52 PM
ETHANOL 10% ethanol in the fuel should be no problems if you use it up quickly. :)

The problem is that ethanol loves water and if you store Efuel for long periods of time, you risk accumulating water in your tank.

Long term storage is why Efuel is not recommended for marine use.

LPG Don't know about converting 2 strokes. 4 strokes should not be a problem as they're not really different from car engines.

Legallity is something else. :-[

Luc

-spiro-
03-09-2005, 09:58 PM
put metho in the tank to get rid of the water. I'll still be useing regular dont want to by another donk just yet 8-)

SeaSaw
03-09-2005, 10:50 PM
I remember a thread on this a while ago and recall that someone checked with the outboard manufacturers. #From memory, the response was that current outboards are not designed to run on E10 and it will damage the engine.

I'd be checking it out closely before using ethanol in an outboard.

Mark

The_Walrus
04-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Metho in the tank to get rid of water! Do you then tip the metho out?

If you add the metho to fuel already in the tank, can't see much difference with ethanol!! :o

Luc

Sandman
04-09-2005, 05:17 PM
I thought as much really , yes the option of lpg would be of interest. I talked 2 a few blokes about water in the tank and their use of metho seems to work.
Luc metho evaporates therefore it can be placed in with the fuel it was recommended to do this on long trips or if you had not used the boat for awhile.
Well if anyone is using LPG perhaps they can give us some insight .

Richard
04-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Yeah, my workmate actually emailed Yamaha and they said that the E10 fuel was not suitable for outboards and told him not to use it in his 100HP. I guess it would be similar advice from other brands but I guess you could check with them.

Richard

-spiro-
04-09-2005, 07:33 PM
metho gets rid of water for sure. used it heaps of times in car aswell when the carbie started to play up. even a boat mec said thats what they do sometimes 8-)

Burley_Boy
05-09-2005, 07:58 PM
I think the metho mixes with the water and then it allows the water to mix with the fuel and gets combusted. The issues with water IMO seems to be that on its own it separates from the fuel and it will hold dirt and clog parts of the carbie. Thats just what I've found anyway. If you've got a bad case of water in the carbies I've never been able to get rid of it without stripping them down.
Usually if you add a dash of metho to the tank we're talking a couple of hundred ml to a 20L tank which is quite different to 10% Ethanol ie 2L in the same tank.

The_Walrus
05-09-2005, 11:36 PM
The metho will mix with the water OK but if the fuel is not well agitated, the metho/water will settle to the bottom with the fuel on top.

This would increase the likelyhood of water rich rather than fuel rich mixture going into the fuel lines.

Luc

bassfanatic5
06-09-2005, 08:37 PM
I talked to some friends in america back when they first started pushing e10 here in aust and the first thing they said is to keep it away from outboard motors. Seems e10 killed a few outboards over there before people learnt. But then if you look at the manual for an etec they say they are cappable of running e10 blended fuel.

Mad-One
07-09-2005, 07:27 AM
Here is a site doing gas conversions for outboards
http://www.lpgtechnologies.info/SERV05.HTM

Cheers Phil

MIKOS
07-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Just another scam from the Beattie government to get us to pay for the so called poor sugarcane farmers mind you that drive around in their 50,000 dollar plus 4wd utilities :o and own property worth millions of dollars.We again are the ones that have to pay,us hard working aussies ::).If we were to go broke the goverment arnt going to help us.They are kidding themselves and trying to take us all for fools if they are saying that it does not effect the performance of our cars.At the end of the day when our cars breakdown or suffer from burnt valves as an example of what can really happen (because they were manifactured and tuned to run on unleaded not ethanol)who is going to pay for the repairs.Certainly not our government.Sorry if this seems a bit harsh #:'(but im getting really sick of our government latley and the rising fuel prices is something that average people just cant afford.I am a proud Australian and i apologise to all who are offended but our country is going to SH!T. :'(

DaMaGe
07-09-2005, 08:14 PM
I have a problem with 2 Stainless Steel fuel tanks that on the best of times consume a little water condensation. But the time I used Ethanol fuel, I got stuck out beside St Helena Island one morning pumping out the fuel mixed water by hand "bulge" from the fuel, and flushing my fuel filter 3 or 4 times cuzz it was full of water.

I had to also soak all 4 spark plugs in a cup of fuel to get it to re-fire after trying to start it and start it, oiling it up also until I seen the water in the fuel filter.

A big mystery how and why it happened, to this day I have no real evidence but to blame that creapy cheap ass fuel, the ole v4 92+ model 90HP 2 stroke Johnson did not like it at all. Surging and carrying on until I used most of the fuel, even mixing it on other trips with good fuel.

I have had no problem since using Vortext or BP Ultimate, but blimey the price of fuel is a frikn killer.

Personally I stay away from the Ethanol and would be quick to tell any other boatie not to trust the stuff also, I mean, why would you in an expensive ass boat!

Sandman
08-09-2005, 08:00 AM
I contacted the guys who do the conversions and this was the responce.

Hi, Michael

WE are in sunny melbourne, and our kits are only for yamaha.
Other engines require a great deal of work to build plates etc.
At this time we are on another LPG project.

Rgds,
Bill