PDA

View Full Version : What is your preferred hull material type?

_Matt_
05-09-2005, 04:24 PM
This will be interesting to see which type wins out.

blaze
05-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Tough call this one because I won't own a big ali boat, lets say 18' + but in a smaller boat 12' or so I dont mind a tinnie.
cheers
blaze

basserman
05-09-2005, 05:53 PM
yeh like you blaze i like them all and they do have places in the market
i do like BIG plateys but for the most i like my outside boats glass however in the rivers tinnys are good
still i votes for glass

Relaxed
05-09-2005, 06:25 PM
I have had glass, was heavy but a good boat.

Nowdays I like my tupperware tinny, it can take a good pounding [smiley=hammer.gif].

(its also bright yellow and easy to find when diving [smiley=thumbsup.gif])

Cheers Andy. :)

scuttlebutt
05-09-2005, 06:25 PM
I've always liked tinny's for the toughness factor - bumping into the ramp etc - but some days when it's rough I wish I'd picked glass.

cheers,

steve

redspeckle
05-09-2005, 06:54 PM
I like plate boats when they are made out of 5mm bottom & 5mm side and 5mm top Aluminium I am lucky to own one like this ;D
Doesn't matter what materials used to make boats they have Good and Bad advantages

Mitch
Go The Mighty Cowboys in 2005

Fisher_Boats
05-09-2005, 07:08 PM
You guess ;)

PinHead
05-09-2005, 07:27 PM
You guess #;)

geese Col..why the hard questions on a Monday

I have one of each..glass and tinnie

fishingnottake
05-09-2005, 08:08 PM
geez you'd be a glass kinda guy wouldn't ya col ;D

Needmorerum
05-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Got one of each. I'm not voting as I'm in the same boat (he he) as alot of others, have a small tinny, and a bigger glass boat.
Maybe we need an inshore and offshore option.

Corry

Fisher_Boats
05-09-2005, 08:22 PM
;D ;D
Personally, I think it's got more to do with hull shape and what you want to do with the boat.
Love going estuary fishing in the young fella's 11ft 40 year old timber dinghy.

Cheers Col
Sorry Pinhead forgot it was Monday (had a pretty good day)

David_P
05-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Get the right tin boat and you've got the best of both. Great ride and tough as nails :)

imagineer
06-09-2005, 09:09 AM
ply ply ply good and heavy and never need a neck brace no matter how rough it gets.

Cheers
Neil

S.S.
06-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Each have their advantages and disadvantages. I've got a 3.85m tinny for the dams and estuaries where I don't have to travel too far from the ramp and a 5m fibreglass boat for the estuaries and bay work. LOVE the ride in the fibreglass.....
Sold my 5.3m plate boat at the beginning of the year and almost purchased another one until Warren Steptoe said to try out the glass boats. Had a run in the Galeforces which are pretty good value for money but ended up with a Southern Star. Absolutely bloody rapt with the performance. My back is certainly feeling lots better nowadays :)

_Matt_
07-09-2005, 01:16 PM
mmm... some interesting point of views. :-?

seaspot
07-09-2005, 09:33 PM
In a recent discussion someone was expressing to me what they though was a proven fact but really it was a limited opinion that glass was the best material. The discussion stopped when I asked, other than glass which hull types have you owned and really tested.

Perhaps the question should be in two parts 1) What types of hulls have you owned. 2) Which do you prefer.

Given that tinnies and glass are mature products you would expect the responses to favour these products as a bigger percentage of the population could comment.

The findings could then read of X number of people having owned a, b and c type hulls the most favoured hull type is:

I have owned tinnies, glass and plastic all for significant periods of time. All things considered I would choose plastic. I think it great that there is a wide range to choose from all with different selling points. Research design is a tricky thing.

Baycruiser
07-09-2005, 10:27 PM
My biased opinion is glass, for 5m+ boats. But, this is based on what I have owned to date. Can't say I have been in enough decent true plate boats to compare.....would love to have a ride in some of the Fischers I have seen on this site to get a feel for comparison to glass. Don't think anyone is going to argue the "toughness" factor of the plate boats versus glass. Have owned smaller (11ft) tinnies in the past also.

_Matt_
08-09-2005, 10:13 AM
!!!! Hold up there SEASPOT !!!!

It is just a simple question on what your preferred hull material type is. I'm not conducting a national in depth research campaign here.

a, b or c.... that's it!

It could be purely based on your knowledge of the different types, doesn't need to be based on if you have ridden in one or the other. Theres enough info around on all 3 to make your choice.

Besides, how many "X" number of people do you think would have owned all 3 types? Not many I reckon, therefore there would be a piss weak number of people voting.

Maybe your user name should be "Mr Over Analysis"

Cheers
Matt

FNQCairns
08-09-2005, 11:09 AM
"Besides, how many "X" number of people do you think would have owned all 3 types? Not many I reckon, therefore there would be a piss weak number of people voting."

I have! Does plastic 8ft Kayak count? :)

_Matt_
08-09-2005, 03:31 PM
FNQCairns,

My aim is to give every Ausfish user the oppurtunity to vote here. You might not have even owned any of the 3, its just based on your knowledge of the types, and/or if you are fortunate enough, your experiences with them.

Does a plastic 8ft Kayak fit under polyethelene? I suppose it depends on what it is made from. If so do you prefer it over the other types?

Cheers
Matt

saphire
08-09-2005, 04:02 PM
I have an aluminium boat as I often have to launch it myself.
It's light weight makes this easier.
saphire.

bidkev
08-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Glass..............stipulations sthough............it's gotta have Whittley on the side of it and have a 23d deadrise ;) ;D

Oh!!!!!.......................and the deckie has to pay fer it ;D ;D

cheers

kev

roz
08-09-2005, 05:48 PM
;D ;D
Personally, I think it's got more to do with hull shape and what you want to do with the boat.
Love going estuary fishing in the young fella's 11ft 40 year old timber dinghy.

Have to agree with you Col, and a timber hull would be very good, but do they need a bit more care?

I am lucky to have a glass boat and a tinnie.

The tinnie is perfect for estuary fishing, the best $450.00 I've ever spent, it can be dragged over the sand, squeezed in next to the mangroves etc etc

The seafarer is for it's size, one of the best little sea boats around, being glass I think makes it a lot more comfortable. It does me.

roz.

seaspot
08-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Hi Matt. I can see that it is a simple question? Thanks for the chance to have some input and a vote.

Take care

_Matt_
09-09-2005, 09:24 AM
Seaspot

No worry's mate, glad you could participate.

Cheers
Matt