PDA

View Full Version : How many flares

rajawolf
08-09-2005, 01:19 AM
What flares and how many are needed for going offshore...?

My sons bought me an epirb and flares for fathers day....from Whitworths Southport, and #they told the sales person that they wanted the 2 items for offshore boating.

I just checked the flare pack again after seeing a post in another section on ausfish, and the
F*%ing wa*kers have sold them a inshore box of 4.

I am really p*ssed off at this store, as this is the second time they have stuffed up on a sale, and it is a 52 klm return trip.

My wife took the boys there as they had the 15% sale last Friday and Saturday, and now if I have to return them and pay extra #to get the right kit, and I bet I wont get the 15% off, plus the fuel...blah blah...I think you can all see what I am trying to say!!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

Bugs
08-09-2005, 06:30 AM
The flares required by all ships "beyond smooth and partilally smooth waters" are two (2) red hand flares and two (2) orange smoke flares. Other additional flares such as parachute would be at your own descretion but not legally required for recreational ships.

blaze
08-09-2005, 07:22 AM
I know in Tassie we require
2 red
2 orange
and
2 PARACHUTE FLARES
cheers
blaze

QldKev
08-09-2005, 07:49 AM
It depends on which state, QLD is only 2 red and 2 orange (inshore kit) for any recreational ship in any waters.

basserman
08-09-2005, 09:53 AM
by the sounds of it they have sold you the corect flares
the diffrence between the inshore and offshore kits are the two red parra flares and a whole heap of cash
i have the normal inshore kit (one out of date one in date) and one parra flare however if your really out that far then the epirb is all you need to worrie about

rajawolf
08-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks guys,

I was a bit heated when I started the topic. I did not think of Queensland water laws, I just seen the other post, which had a link to to the store in question, and on their web page they have a offshore flare kit and a inshore flare kit, then I looked at my box of flares and it says inshore, and my blood boiled :-X.

I guess thats why I like being a member of Ausfish, you can vent and then get the proper information, before you grab the phone and abuse the store. :-/

I think the price of petrol has everybody a little on edge, all this money invested in our boats and gear, and it is becoming very hard for the average Joe to be able to take the boat out fishing with the family.

Bosunsmate
08-09-2005, 11:01 PM
My bible is

Guide To Recreational Boating & Fishing in Queensland...

pages 40 & 41 give a nice easy to use matrix laying out all 3 water types..

Relaxed
09-09-2005, 01:57 PM
I'm with Blaze we get hit pretty hard in Tassie.

We should be the safest state with almost no fatalities if
everyone carrries the required gear.

We need the red parachute flares outside 'sheltered waters'; but on the North West Coast this alows me to fish 5 NM out, in most areas with an inshore kit.

It can all get very confusing!

Cheers Andy.