PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - how do you know what fuel mix?

gongfisho
09-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Hi guys

Just brought a boat , suzuki 65hp motor and have no idea on the radio of petrol to 2 stroke and how can I tell if it's a 2 or 4 stroke?

cheers guys

Ben

Owen
09-09-2005, 02:40 PM
I don't own a suzuki, but a quick look on there web site shows all models that are four stroke as having a model number starting with DF e.g. DF60
The two-strokes have DT.
But basically if it's a two stroke it'll probably have an oil tank under the cowl and the filler cap will say two stroke oil. It'll also say what ratio to run somewhere on or inside the cowl.
But honestly if you can't tell by looking at it, do yourself a favour and take it to a mechanic for a few pointers on basic maintenance and operation requirements. Any mechanic worth dealing with will take a few minutes to talk to you if you explain you're a novice. After all, you'll be needing someone to service it :)
cheers,
Owen

basserman
09-09-2005, 03:26 PM
motor will be either black and grey (four stroke) or blue and white(two stroke) however as suziki don't put out a 65hp four stroke i would have a guess that it is a older model 2stroke

as for a ratio you would be best sticking to the 50:1 ratio ;)

gongfisho
09-09-2005, 03:32 PM
yeah its blue and white so then 2 stroke and its an older model. cheers mate

gongfisho
09-09-2005, 03:35 PM
also how long will say 20L of fuel last? 2 stroke are heavier yeah?

Fishin_Dan
09-09-2005, 03:38 PM
also how long will say 20L of fuel last? 2 stroke are heavier yeah?

It depends on what you do mate... If you drive nice and smooth, and in nice flat conditions, it will last longer than if you hoon, and go out in NQ 2 foot chop ;)

It also depends on what boat you've got, how many people/gear you have on board, if you're trolling or if you just drive to a spot, then anchor up and switch off the motor...

Where do you want to launch from/go to? What type of boating/fishing do you want to do with it?

gongfisho
09-09-2005, 03:43 PM
fishing wollonong area nsw. trolling and bottom bashing. prob wont be rough conditions. boat is a falcon swift craft. 2 people on board. guess i'll find out when i take it out a few times.

cheers

ben

Dirtysanchez
09-09-2005, 04:08 PM
I used to have a 60hp in the same series, DT60 it was, had a resevoir inside the cowl for the oil, does yours ? if it does then just fill that up and you will be fine because I am sure they are crank shaft driven and as such the engine will distribute a reasonable amount of oil to suit the revs you output.
A lot of blokes will probably tell me now that is wrong, but I owned mine for 5 years and it never failed me.

I had a 15 foot half cab on mine and 20lts of fuel would get me planing out through the heads and trolling for most of the day, but I did run out sometimes with poor weather so I upped it to a 70ltr cruise tank. Well worth it and only a few hundred bucks from BIAS / whitwiirths

southernson
09-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Mate the best way to see how much its goin to chew fuel wise is to get out n have a go. Different people use their boats in different ways so itll be up to how you use it n how much fuel you'll use.
Cheers mate

gongfisho
09-09-2005, 06:00 PM
guess its just like a car. yeah so this withworths store is really good I hear, I am thinking about making the trip this weekend to see what I can purchase. Is it really cheap and stock everything they have on their website?

ben

basserman
09-09-2005, 08:01 PM
best thing i can say is have your shopping list and shop around
while withworths stores are pretty chaep some other can still have better deals

would thin a 20l tank should see you do a full days fishing dependsing on how much you use and weather conditions
if you are unsure take either another tank out of a jerry can as it is better safe than sorry

as for your other question most and i say MOST 2strokes are lighter than a 4stroke
few exceptions like the suziki 140hp 4banger