PDA

View Full Version : help needed found water in gearbox  oil chang

warrior
09-09-2005, 03:16 PM
when changing the gearbox oil i found a small amount of water run out first before the oil came out,what seal would be gone,any advise .also the oil was slightly milky colored

scuttlebutt
09-09-2005, 04:41 PM
I'd be gettin that one down to the mechanic asap. I've heard that once you get water in the gearbox it can do a lot of damage pretty quickly.

cheers,

steve

warrior
09-09-2005, 07:17 PM
thanks steve, just talked to the mechanic he reckons the seal between the water pump is leaking ,not bad but dont wait too long as damage will get big very quick.

bungie
09-09-2005, 08:13 PM
Have had pure water in my 150 gearbox. Mechanic told me its better to have any form of liquid than nothing but air. :-/

blaze
09-09-2005, 11:35 PM
not adviced, I run my old 10 johnson on water and oil mix for a couple of years, why, because the donk wasnt worth spending money on. If you use the correct gear oil it will still lube (feel it with your fingers). If your mechanic is worth his salt he will pressure check it to test the oil seals (inside) and vaceum test it to check external seals (the ones that normally fail and let water in). He then should advise what seal is leaking and should also advice to do all the seals.
Only my opinion
cheers
blaze

warrior
11-09-2005, 09:58 AM
thanks blaze,was going to replace them all as it gives me a bit of peice of mind