PDA

View Full Version : Johnson 90hp

Coke
07-09-2005, 11:31 AM
G'day Gents
Has anyone any opinions on the Johnson 90hp v4 carby model [new]? I was fairly close to going for the Tohatsu however, after reading the recent thread on "90hp which one", confusion is now tops again.
Cheers
Grahame

boatboy50
07-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Hey,

The Johnno is a good engine but will be much thirstier than the Tohatsu.

Go the Tohey, cheaper to buy and run, and definately a proven reliable engine.

Regards

Darren

revs57
07-09-2005, 06:41 PM
He yCoke

Have you seen the comparison in Trailer Boat issue 193 p 59-61 If not I can fax it to you if you shoot me a number...Gives the Tohey quite a reasonable rap...certainly nothing negative IMO...Darren is right...the Jonno v4 will be thirstier than the tldi 90...

Good luck

Rhys

Coke
10-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Hey Rhys - I have sent you a PM

Coke
10-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Darren,
Thanks for the comment.

Cheers
Grahame

revs57
11-09-2005, 09:06 AM
Hey Grahame,

I'm heading into the office shortly, so will fax the article then...I hope you enjoy the read.

I certainly agree it can be really confusing with a lot of info not based in actual reality and biased either by people wanting to sell their product or opinions establish by "uncle john's one that we had back in sudan in 1928" which was either a ripper or a lemon and every other purchase shaped by that event and or experinece.

In many respects the climate of today's market means only those who really have their act together will survive. The EPA/Green push has finally brought the humble 2 stroke into the 3rd millenium and Hondas stickability with 4 stroke technology has forced the others to go where they probably didn't want to - just to stay competative and to be able to boast to share holders they are at least doing something to bolster their market share!

Perhaps those two factors alone are what now shape our choices of products that bombard our market (sorry about the pun!!!)...and in many respects it is now the age old Holden vs Ford (it once used to be Johnson vs Mercury for us boaties) arguement that remains if you get my drift.

I suppose that's why I like the idea of the humble Tohey in the market you are researching. Not too many frills, tough as nails, garden variety but solid technology, green friendly with tldi, I understand a miser when it comes to oil, I've read a heap of reports about charter operators who run them... and any product that can cop the hiding that novice boaties dish out, over revving, sucking gallons of sand trying to un beach a stuck hire boat, even running out of the water when people either forget to put the whirley thing in the water, thinking it doubles as a fan on a hot day...its gotta have something going for it.

Yep, I've opted for a next to new 2005 150 efi merc for our new 6mt rig, but it was a dollar based choice and I was very nearly going to hang out for a pair of tldi 90's...I know the fuel factor running twin tldi's will be less than running the Merc and then there is the safety factor of twins, but that may be something we change a couple of years down the track. It is a platey so I can adjust the transom with not too much pain. I just need to protect our budget at this stage of the build and figured a sub 10K 2hr old 150 would mean I could put 5K plus into fit out/trailer etc.

anyway, I'm off to the office to fax your article...see ya

Rhys

revs57
11-09-2005, 10:52 AM
The fax machine has decided to be temperamental >:(....90% temper & 10% mental...bring back the pidgeons I say.

I'm working on another solution :o using my laptop but I need some other software...if you could PM your snail mail, you will surely get it soon on way or the other! 8-)

Rhys

ribbit
11-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Ive got a 115hp v4(same block) about 120hrs on it and it is bullet proof. Starts str8 away runs great and not too noisy.
Bit thirsty if I rev it hard though but I did a compression test the other day after around 120hrs and still 140 on all cylinders which is as new.