PDA

View Full Version : Repainting Tinny

brisvegasjack
04-09-2005, 07:44 PM
Hi All
I read the previous post on minor tinny paint repairs with interest. I am looking at fully repainting a mid 80's Stacer runabout. Hull condition is average for it's age with no obvious major corrosion and the boat is worth doing up. Are there any traps with prepping the hull and does anybody have any recommendations for paint systems to use. Is enamel or two pack the way to go?. Any feedback gratefully accepted.

Big_Kev
05-09-2005, 01:48 AM
I repainted a mid eighties Stacer a few years back.
I stripped the old paint off the outside of the hull with paint stripper/scrubbing with scourer and garden hose.
Used a lot of stripper and it burns the hands a bit even with gloves.
I primed it and painted in two pac. Came up a treat.

New_fisher
05-09-2005, 03:10 AM
Has anyone ever looked into powdercoating a boat? Can it be done? Is it a viable option financially? I konw that powder coating is a lot harder and tougher than paint, but I have never heard of anyone doing it to a boat, is there a reason for this? Cheers boys,

brisvegasjack
05-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanx for the replies. I looked into powdercoating a trailer a few years back. It was not recommended though as powdercoating does not show up any corrosion which may run rampant underneath it and cause unseen problems. It may be the same for boat hulls. Powdercoating has to be baked on, so for similiar expense for an oven a baked enamel may be the go.

Seahorse
07-09-2005, 07:45 PM
just strip off old paint. wipe over alimin with water and metho and scouring pad. 2 pac epoxy prime and then 2 pac over that. the only way to do it

5cougarsthanx
08-09-2005, 03:22 PM
there is an enamel 2 pack made for painting boats especially aluminium called northane it s made by a company called norglass.I resprayed my 5.4 centre console with this product and it came up very nice.the advantage of this 2 pack over others is it has an amount of give and does not crack like some 2 packs It is available from classic paint supplies at cleveland.

Seahorse
08-09-2005, 06:42 PM
its all in the primer.

brisvegasjack
08-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Thankyou for the replies. Northane looks like it may be worth a try. I live near Cleveland. Does anybody know of a product to paint on inside to tidy up the hull?.

Seahorse
08-09-2005, 07:33 PM
spray it with panel fleck. grey or beige. but dont disregard 2 pack paint over 2 pac epoxy primer. trust me.

brisvegasjack
09-09-2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks Seahorse. Is Panelfleck available locally in paint stores or auto/ marine stores only?.

southernson
10-09-2005, 03:20 PM
where's the best place to look for buyin the gear to do it thinkin of repainting a 12'punt. are boat shops or paint shops the best bet to get started?

Seahorse
10-09-2005, 05:53 PM
send me a message brisvegasjack. i can get it at real good price.

Seahorse
10-09-2005, 05:55 PM
when you are ready send me a message southernson and i will get what you need for the right price. iam in the game

LET_IT_RIP
13-09-2005, 08:32 PM
also consider the cobweb effect.Which most new boats have any way. Just spray it inside and out with 2pac then put all most unthinned say black acrylic lacquer in gun Hold about 300mm away comes out like cobweb

Seahorse
14-09-2005, 08:03 PM
hey let it rip. does that come with spiders. how long are the cob webs. will they blow away on a windy day.