PDA

View Full Version : teething problems with cats

stokey
13-09-2005, 09:42 PM
hi guys looking for some advice on the performance of a5.2 noosa cat twin seventys good nick butuncontrolable side toside movements porpoising and bad controll in following seas lack of experience in cats may not help but any tips would be helpfull looking forward to hearing from anyone stokie

bluewaterbandit
13-09-2005, 10:03 PM
what seventys are they and how long have they been on the boat and have they got the right props

bluewaterbandit
13-09-2005, 10:07 PM
what do you meean by following seas the only seas i know are good and horrendous shit in ya pants seas are you talkin bout the wake behind the cats hull

fishman7
13-09-2005, 11:50 PM
hi
try triming your motors up went you are in a following sea.i have a 33ft cat it only did it once. also watch your speed. hope this help
danny

bungie
14-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Does it have counter rotating props?

stokey
14-09-2005, 08:59 PM
where are the photos, #lookin at getting a single engine centre console noosa cat for some offshore work. #recon it would have to be a top rig

andrew
Andrew have never seen a single engine noosa cat but would be interested in seeing one if you have a photo, still trying to work out how to send photo to you.

stokey

youngfisho
14-09-2005, 09:13 PM
where are the photos, lookin at getting a single engine centre console noosa cat for some offshore work. recon it would have to be a top rig

andrew

stokey
14-09-2005, 09:40 PM
danny thanks for your input , i will try that next time i go out i have been working the opposite way thanks again

stokey
14-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Does it have counter rotating props?
no it doesn't have counter rotating props I heard that you can't have counter rotating on any thing less than 120 hp

perko
15-09-2005, 11:12 AM
Gday mate, we are into cats having had 5 in the family in the last 6 years. Dad has bought a 5.2 noosa cat lately and has had the same problems you are having. He has put foils on it which has helped and fitted hydraulic steering. They are most defiently not a fast hull and recommend a max speed of 20 odd knots if the seas are up a bit. Do you ever fish the sunshine coast. I would be willing to have a run in it with you and offer some suggestions. There is an art to driving a cat but once you suss them out there is no going back. Tony

gavsgonefishing
15-09-2005, 12:25 PM
I agree with perko, some foils and some fine trimming will sort out the porpoising.

When I first got my small cat I took it out in the mool bay and stuffed around with it for yonks. flat chat, trim both motors up, then trim one up only, just to get used to its charactoristics. Turn the thing hard ( not too fast first up) then use the trim to rebalance the boat. It become second nature after a while, then I still stuff up. They seem to be very sensitive with the trim settings

Then tryed the backing down, not the best thing to do in a little cat, but again found the limits.

On a quiet day I then stuffed around trying to park the thing against the wharf, that was fun for all who watched. Even spent some time driving on and off the trailer.

They are a lot different to handle (used to a bigger monohull). I believe they have the handling characteristics of two besser bricks, but still love the challenge.

Dont know about the side to side stuff, uless you are talking about one side digging into the swell. If thats the case dont try and get into the situation, either back off beforehand or turn into the hull digging in. Oh and change nappy.

youngfisho
15-09-2005, 06:41 PM
here is the web address www.noosacat.com.au

the 18 foot centre console can be optioned either in single or dual engine configuration. but the single engine boat with a 90hp two stroke can do over 31knots flat stick and cruise comfortably at 23knots. reasonable retail price as well

andrew

stokey
16-09-2005, 10:04 AM
g'day tony thanks for the input it does have hydraulic steering it did have the foils on but i removed them and it seems to perform better with out them ,next time out i'll play around with the trim ,i'm convinced that it's an exelent boat and i think you are right about there being an art to driving one so i will keep trying . by the way i'm up at hervey bay but thanks for the offer stokey

bluewaterbandit
16-09-2005, 09:48 PM
glad ya got it sorted stokey now go got them fish cheers blue..............