PDA

View Full Version : Raider

lenm
16-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Has anyone heard of a 'Raider' ?? - small cat about 14-15ft long.
Looks like a good mini offshore boat - Just wondering how they go??
I saw one for sale on the Pakula forum archives but the post is gone now.

Regards

Smithy
16-09-2005, 10:16 PM
They go well. I might have even put that post up for a mate. He still has it for sale but is in no hurry to sell, that is why it hasn't gone in the Trading Post or on Boatpoint. I can give you his contact details if you are serious. Not sure if Nobbsy is making them anymore. Few things Jase has said about them is they are not a fast boat - just a 16-18 knot sort of boat but it will always get you home and you will always feel safe in it. Jase got caught in one of those famous summer storms fishing off Kirra once and survived crazy seas whipped up by the storm and another time in some crappy SE conditions he trolled all day with the seas and ended up at Jumpinpin and made up his own crossing of the bar to avoid the run back down to the Seaway and didn't have a problem. He has taken Jared Weir (professional world travelled Marlin boat skipper) and Notso (professional heavy tackle Marlin deckie) out in it a few times and it has impressed them everytime. Here is a picture of it I found the other day taken by Steve Brown (Ausfish Owner) from my boat one day. http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1075561453 Jase tagged 3 from 3 that day all between 50-100kg solo. Jase went to town on his with teak padded coamings, Vibak clears, chrome game boat style gear levers, 10" sounder, colour GPS, inhouse battery charger, dual axle trailer, 6m scissor Reelax outriggers, etc., etc. Buying it without the sounder will knock a couple of grand off the price. The other one I know about other than Nobbsys own one was owned by Shane Brandley of the Outcasters Sportfishing Club. It took a while to set his up with toe-in, toe-out, foils on, foils off etc. but once they got it right I think he was pretty happy with it. Like all cats they are a good use of space for their size.

lenm
17-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the info Smithy.
The reason I asked was that I recently purchased a new one (hull only) from a boat yard for a steal.
The dealer didn't know too much about the boat but said it was one of the last ones ever made. I couldn't go for a test run because it has no motors on it. The only info I could find about the boat was the post you mentioned that I found on the Pakula site.

Thanks again for the info - makes me feel good about the purchase now.
Regards
L.M.

Smithy
18-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Put up a picture. Alloy or glass pods? What motors are you going to put on it.

lenm
18-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Smithy im going to buy twin Yam 4strokes on it. #
It only has glass pods.
Keep an eye out for me offshore soon :)

gavsgonefishing
18-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Lenm, been out for a run in one myself about a year ago off mooloolaba. It had twin yammy 50s on it. Nicely set up boat , liked the fittings and the way there was a heap of space up the nose, more than my 4.3 cat. I'm sure the guy would be happy to speak to you as he spent a heap of time meticulously setting it up. PM me if you req details.