PDA

View Full Version : Batteries Not Charging

2DKnBJ
17-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Need some help guys.
How do i go about checking if the motor is charging the batteries.I have a multi metre but have no idea how to use the bloody thing :-? :-?My motor is a 1976 115 hp Evinrude.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers Dazza

Camo
17-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Mate, it's easy with a multimetre. Turn it on make sure it is set on the right voltage range. The ranges on mine go from 30 volts to 300 volts to 3000 volts, so if I was using mine I'd put it on 30 volts for a 12 volt battery. Hold the electrodes on the terminals of the battery, red on the positive, black on the negative, and then read the voltage from the display. Next start your motor, and have it running. Put the electrodes back on the terminals and check the voltage with the motor running. If the voltage reading is higher than it was with the motor off, then you know that the alternator is charging. If the voltage reading is not higher then you know there is something wrong. Mine ususally reads about 14 volts when the motor is running.

Cheers

Cammo

2DKnBJ
17-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Cammo
Thanks mate.I will give that a go and then work my way back through the wiring.
Cheers Dazza

bungie
18-09-2005, 07:18 AM
Usually your sounder will also give you a reading of the charge in the battery. If so use the above example to test if it is charging

skippa
18-09-2005, 08:12 AM
Daz,

Might be worth putting in a Volt meter too. Had one in my 'ol Hainesy and as Bungie says some sounders (Lowrance107cdf) are set up with meters too.

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

Brejen
18-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Dazza deffinately something wrong mate. The battery that i gave you last weekend was near drained at the end of the day. So i think you'll be looking for something there. Mate i'm no sparky but to drain one that fast and just sitting there doing nothing, there has to be something wrong.. As it was daylighht and you were not running much in the way of electronics, lights etc maybe a dead short somewhere, as i said i'm no lecty but just a thought. Might be worth talking to your mechcanic asking him as well..Get her fixed soon tho next run out soon hey.

All the best with it

Brett

Can wiring up battery switches the wrong way do this?- just an after thought

PinHead
18-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Mate, it's easy with a multimetre. #Turn it on make sure it is set on the right voltage range. #The ranges on mine go from 30 volts to 300 volts to 3000 volts, so if I was using mine I'd put it on 30 volts for a 12 volt battery. #Hold the electrodes on the terminals of the battery, red on the positive, black on the negative, and then read the voltage from the display. #Next start your motor, and have it running. #Put the electrodes back on the terminals and check the voltage with the motor running. #If the voltage reading is higher than it was with the motor off, then you know that the alternator is charging. #If the voltage reading is not higher then you know there is something wrong. #Mine ususally reads about 14 volts when the motor is running.

Cheers

Cammo

make sure you have the meter set on DC volts and not AC volts

familyman
18-09-2005, 09:31 AM
Dazza disconnect your battery with the engine OFF .If you have electrical drain somewhere it will show up as reduced voltage on the battery terminals when the leads are connected.Also if the battery is stuffed the voltage at the terminals will fall below 10v dc when you go to start the motor.If this is the case then its new battery time :-[
good battery standing -above 12.5vdc
good battery charging -above 13.2vdc at 1000rpm
batt u/s charge ok -above 13.2 vdc at 1000rpm
batt u/s standing - below12vdc
dead charge circuit below 12.5 vdc at 1000rpm
These figures are not gospel but a general indicator typical for most 12dc systems.
chhers jon

2DKnBJ
18-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Think i have found the problem.One of the wires for the rectifier had broken it has then been put back in and held in place with blue tac.No wonder the batteries were not being charged >:(Anyhow i have decided not to get a new rectifier but am going to get a new motor instead :D :D 115 hp Yammi
Thanks for your help on this one guys.Much appreciated

Cheers Dazza

Camo
18-09-2005, 03:16 PM
They just don't make bluetac like they used to. :) Anyway you can't go wrong with a new Yammi.

Camo

Brejen
18-09-2005, 03:29 PM
on ya Dazza. You'll have smiles from side to side now mate.

Brett

skippa
18-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Hey Daz,

but am going to get a new motor instead # :D :D # 115 hp Yammi

Might look somethin' like this 'eh # ;)

familyman
18-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Good choice dazza ,if the former owner has done that with the rectifier then what else have they done?
cheers jon

2DKnBJ
18-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Skippa
Very much so.Did you have any probs with flat batteries or the trim/tilt not working :) :).Thought not.
Cheers Dazza

skippa
18-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Ur right, no probs, still remember the sweet pur of 115 horses # ;D

Seriously tho, u just can't go offshore with dickie motors. You won't be dissapointed with the Yammy. Probably get ya better fuel econ than the 'ol Rude too. With a new yammy and your referb work, thats going to be a might fine haines.

The 'ol girls hold their price too, could make a few bucks Daz #;)

Cheers,
Tony #8-)
PS the Yammy on the southwind sounds just as sweet # :D