PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic steering advice

FNQCairns
31-08-2005, 11:56 AM
I am all over the place on what steering I will fit to my podded boat, one moment it's non feedback cable the next it's hydraulic then it's a teleflx unit from O/S then it's the hydrive from here. The only solid decision I have made is that if hyd it must be a bullhorn style.

Here is one Q does anyone know why Hydrive doesn't only stock the narrow bullhorn? Why would anyone choose the wider one over the narrow if they had the choice - cost aside as the narrow one is only slightly more expensive I noticed.

Also anyone got a good non patriotic argument why I should pay an extra $300+ for a Hydrive unit over the baystar units? I am more into function than form on boats, but both is nice :)

Thanks and cheers fnq

basserman
31-08-2005, 12:47 PM
hydrive is alot better system that isn't prone to leaks like the cheaper bay star units
i have just put the bullhorn unit onto my southwind and can't say anything bad about it yet and is silky smooth already as amasingle easy to install

megafish71
31-08-2005, 12:52 PM
I have had 2 Hydrive units on 2 different boats, and for me the proof is in the pudding. First boat 5 years not one ounce of trouble and now 2 years with the current rig and so far not a problem. Both have been the bullhorn set up and they are great. As for the baystar have had very little to do with them, but i did notice they appear to be a little heavier on the steer and slightly more turns lock to lock ( from memory about half a turn). I know whilst living up in the NT most of the fishing tour opperators were insisting on Hydrive systems, don't know if this had anything to do with clever marketing or past performances. For me I'd have another hydrive if I was fitting up another boat.

Cheers Ron

Sportfish_5
31-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Cheaper to keep the non feedback system and buy a bigger steering wheel ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

FNQCairns
31-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the replys, happy not to go with the Baystar now, needed some good real world advice from those with in the field experience to justify the extra cost.

Basserman while researchig today I came across a factory Yamaha hydraulic system so I rang the dealer in Cairns (Bills) for a price and they have never heard of it! strange. So I sent them the link will see if it prices up close to the hydrive as it will fit anything I guess.

Did you buy yours from your industry contact? 8-) Good price? ;) Hint- Hint :)

Thanks Ron for the good info and comparison I liked a baystar I drove but had nothing to compare it to except push pull at the time, if the hydrive is better again I will be a happy chappy! Dam the expense this time.

Thanks Sporty, Your sugestion would work better than the current set on the boat I guess, so I did consider it.......... for about half a second! :-* :D

Cheers fnq

basserman
31-08-2005, 10:29 PM
yeh mate it was from my mate and for cash to boot ;)
gaskets for the heads head shave new bits and peices hydrulic steering all put back together with help from myself all up was $1300

ever tell ya how much i love boats ::)

banshee
31-08-2005, 10:48 PM
I've had a hydrive for two years so can't realy coment on the durability of the units it is nice to use though,my mate has a Bay star and has shifted it into a couple of different boats over about four years,he fishes at least twice a week and has had no dramas at all with his unit,other people I know have gone with Hydrive.

Punkin
01-09-2005, 05:38 AM
Had my Hy-drive the same as in the top pic for about 12 months i spose. 50 4/ yammie on a c/c. Works a bloody treat and i wouldn't have another c/c without it.
For my money i thought the hy-drive was worth the extra dough. Just lookin at the baystar had me worrying, didn't like the comparison and i figured the hy-drive looked just about twice as good quality wise. Made in Aus too 8-)

Turned a good boat into a great one for me ;D

scottfromoz
20-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi all - I have a 115 yammy like bassermans (but mine is a 93). It gets exceptional lock left to right - at a guess better than the 8' or so on the rod for the hydraulic steering. I am keen to get the Hydrive but I am concerned about loosing lock - any comments? Also have anyone used the cheaper imbalanced Hydrive/other units? Do they feel as odd with uneven pressures and more turns on one side as they sound?

Thanks all

Scott :-/

Tracker
20-09-2005, 08:39 PM
you got mail ;)

scottfromoz
21-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Sorry?

FNQCairns
21-09-2005, 02:29 PM
G'Day Scott good name that one ;) Trackers post was for me.

I cannot help very much with your question but form my inquiries the unbalanced cylinder is only a problem on autohelms it seems they need to know where centre is or they get confused. The effort is the same each way (not 100% on that last bit)
Dont know if the differing turns lock to lock would P me off or not :-/

Very hard to get quality info on the net about Hydrive units above just a pic and the most basic spiel written beside it.
cheers fnq

Jack_Montana
21-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Looks like the Hydrive is the pick of the bunch,does anyone know a rough idea of price for a 130hp Yammy?

Could i fit it myself?

Jack

Spaniard_King
21-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Guys,

a bit of a late entry here :(

I have been using the Hynautic rams (the model is K6)with seastar helms comercially for over 10 years. They will beat the other brands hands down for reliability and price (see bla.com)

cheers

Garry

Spaniard_King
21-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Heres a pik of one on a Honda BF225

Garry

TheBream
21-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Looks like the Hydrive is the pick of the bunch,does anyone know a rough idea of price for a 130hp Yammy?

Could i fit it myself?

Jack

replying for basserman seems he is now on a week ban so
he said that they are pretty east to install yourself and only needs basic knolage to do the job
as for turns to lock he hasn't noticed too much diffrence but sure loved it a few weeks back as even in a decent sea he was bale to leave the wheel and set lines down the back
for a price he got his for $1300 so it is a bit dearer than other brands ;)

Mantaray
21-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Heres a pik of one on a Honda BF225

Garry

Very neat looking setup that ram but is that water I see in the well?

Spaniard_King
22-09-2005, 04:56 AM
Mantaray,

yes it is water..what you dont know is that there is a 280l ballast tank(WHICH IS FULL OF WATER) just infront of the engine well which is used for wakeboarding also this is a 20 inch engine #:o

you wont find any other 225 in a 20 inch engine other than a Honda

Garry

FNQCairns
22-09-2005, 09:22 AM
Thanks Garry, rigid front mount design is the type I decided on.
The Hydrive uses what looks like an adapted inboard engine cylinder to make the O/B5 option work (cannot find specs) :(. So it is most likely built lighter than the K6.

The unit you posted is certainly a superior system very robust specs but the price is high a couple of hundred or more but at least a person gets something extra for the price.

Dont know if BLA's RRP is a solid sell price hope not, the option of 4.5 turns lock to lock would be nice.

Does that unit screw directly into the inner part of the tilt tube? looks like it.

Good info,
cheers fnq

FNQCairns
22-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Jack the prices range depending on type and brand from about $850 to $1250. Bassermans setup is around the $850 mark at one of the major chandlers.
Yep you could fit it easily yourself. no problem.

Strangely for boating bit's there seems to be no worthwhile financial advantage in buying Hydraulic steering from the states, competion must be fierce between units here.

cheers fnq