PDA

View Full Version : On or Off the Trailer

Fishin_Dan
20-09-2005, 10:52 AM
OK, a question for all you boat restorers / fixers / hackers ;)

I'm going to be removing the stringer/cross-members from my boat in the next few weeks, and wanted to know if I should take it off the trailer first (and put it onto old tyres) or if I should leave it on the trailer.

The trailer has keel rollers, and a skid down either side. The boat is quite high, and it is harder to get in/out of. Also, the only real support the boat has on the trailer is on teh keel rollers. If I pull the stringer out, I'm worried there won't be any support left for it.

If I put it onto tyres, then it will be lower (easier to get in/out of), but the load/weight of the boat will be spread out over a much larger surface area, therefor supporting the boat better...

Am I correct in this thinking? Is putting the boat onto tyres better? Any advice would be great!

familyman
20-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Mate if you want to lower it take the wheels off the trailer .DO NOT put it on tyres then cut structure out other wise it will move and you will never get it back into shape.If space permits put the trailer on a concrete srface then level the whole show with a water level so the trailer acts as a building jig.I would spend time and make some shaped supports for the hull right out to the chines ie cross members but outside the hull.Then fix the hull down to the trailer by strap or by metal rod through the hull/deck joint down to the tailer , snug it down tight so it cant move.
I know it sounds like alot of work but why ruin your good work by glassing it all up with a twist in the hull :(
good luck
cheers jon

gavsgonefishing
20-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Leave it on the trailer, you still have the top on the hull and the transom in. I would doubt very much that the hull will flex when you take the cross members etc out. Youd be surprised how strong the hull is.

Fishin_Dan
21-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the replies guys!

The main reason I was worried about this was that once I've taken the stringer out, I will need to get into the boat to glass the new one in, and was worried about the weight (of me the big bugger) of me walking around putting in the new stringer... Will this be an issue? I won't be walking everywhere, but don't want to go through the hull, or crack it at all...

blaze
21-09-2005, 10:34 AM
Put a couple of nice big timber beams where you are walking, 6 x 2 or simular and that will spread your weight over the surface of the beams
cheers
blaze
ps
on the trailer

Fishin_Dan
21-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Thanks alot fella's!!! Exactly what I needed to know!

Cheers everyone for there advise!

familyman
21-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Think light ;)
cheers jon

gavsgonefishing
21-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Jons got it right, go light on your stringers etc. the strength is and should be in the glass casing you will be applying. Remember, the sealing with resin and glass is the most important thing. I would take a little extra time and glass the stringers etc out of the boat, then fit and glass into the boat. yep a lot of glass and resin but it will be sealled from the elements properly

tengals123
22-09-2005, 01:29 PM
leave it on the trailer.

cheers