PDA

View Full Version : How much is this boat worth?

Jack_Montana
19-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Haines Hunter 565C,2000 Yamaha 130hp 2-stroke (not sure of hours yet) fish finder,27meg,under floor tank,4 wheel discs trailer.

Does anyone know the years these vessels were released,i rang Haines Hunter and they haven't got back to me.

The boat is owned by a friend of a friend and i thought i would run it past you guys before i go any further.

Any ideas how much?

Cheers

Jack Montana

skippa
19-09-2005, 07:30 PM
G'day Jack,

Nice looking boat from the pic, and the 'ol girls seem to hold their price too. Age wise I'd say late 70's to early 80's.

Price would be around 16 to 17k,(tops) which is dependant on electronics and condtion.

Hull looks reasonable in pic, I'd be checking floor and transome and any holes, where things have been added and taken away over the years. (radios, speakers, gauges, rod holders etc) trailer looks in fair nic too. For the Yammy check hours and service history. Mines 10 years old and runs as good as new. You won't be disapointed with the ride either, the old 565's are great design.

Cheers,
Tony 8-)
PS Haines owners (including previous owners) are very patriotic ;)

troy
19-09-2005, 07:33 PM
The 565 c that i owned would have been around the the year 1980.
provided the outfit is in good condition and no dry rot i would value you it at about the 10000.00 to 12000.00 .
That is what they are pulling in my area but the outfit would have to be in top condition.
maybe you will pull a different price where you are.
troy

Jack_Montana
19-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Thanks Skippa,Troy.

I thought it may be around early to mid-eighties and i guess the biggest concern i have is the underfloor condition such as rot and also the transom.

Is the underfloor accessible on these models?

Because it has a pretty newish motor,can it bump up the price a few Thousand or is it still classed as an old boat?

Cheers
Jack Montana

Burley_Boy
19-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Not an expert Troy, but I'd guess that skippas price is up on Troys because he's taken the motor into consideration, a $10k valuation doesn't sound like its taking this into account.
Actually Troy, where are you? Sounds like it might be worth a trip. :)

SIGNS2503
19-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Im sorry a boat of this size and if it is in good condition with this motor would easily pull 20 k here in victoria. Even the trailer looks in good condition and doesnt look that old I would even say up around the 25k.

skippa
19-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Jack what state are u in? (its looks a clear day so rules Melb out, opps did that come out loud #::))

Price does vary from states. For example I picked up my Southwind in NSW for $7000 cheaper than I could get one for up here in Brissy. Worth the drive. #;)

When I sold my Haines in the TP I had guys ringing from Tassy. #:o

Yep Jack, she's still an old boat, but a classic design tho, up graded with a good motor, and yes you will pay a little more, but remember its newish not brand new. Just check the hours and service history too.

The boat seems to have a fair bit of over hang at the rear, maybe winch post needs to go further forward or maybe just the pic tho.

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

James_V17L
19-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Nice looking boat Jack .looks like its got plenty of potential..I am with Tony..around $17K..looks like a later model Yammy..trailer looks good also..

Jack_Montana
19-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Tony,

I'm on the Gold Coast,don't know why my profile won't fire up.

I will be finding out the price on Wednesday,my mate reckons the guy has owned it for 14 years and it's in great nic but i'm still a bit worried what's underneath the floor re: ROT.

Is there anyway of testing the transom for strength?

I see what you mean about the trailer overhang,the rear rollers come out a long way from the side beams.

I won't really know much more until i check it out,i'm also keen on looking at the newer 620SF.

Cheers
Jack Montana

Jack_Montana
19-09-2005, 11:45 PM
2 more pics,

Jack_Montana
19-09-2005, 11:49 PM

skippa
19-09-2005, 11:55 PM
G'Day Jack,

She looks good in the pics. The floor should feel solid, so stamp or jump around a little, if the floor feels 'spongey' you've got some work to do.

With the transome an old trick is, with the motor tilted and locked up, grab a hold of the leg down near the skeg somewhere and give it a yank up and down. If the transome 'flexes' it's usually a sign of a weakness. Also check the seals along the top of transome too, shouldn't be any gaps.

Electronic's will also add or subtract some $$$ too eg late model colour sounders, Plotters/gps VHF's etc

If she's in good nic, she sure would be a nice rig for offshore Goldie work. #;)

Good luck with the search, I love boat shopping #:D

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)
PS The yammy looks the goods on the outside, if it's been looked after service wise too she'd be a nice donk

Mr__Bean
20-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Agree she looks good in the photos.

Just another quick check, I always look in and around the bottom bung.

Look for evidence of brown stains, if the floor is rotting it will usually leave tanin stains in and around the bottom bung.

Also on the transom, knock around all holes with a twenty or fifty cent piece. It should produce a constant solid sound. If you have disbonds you will get a dull sound rather than the solid knock.

Most transom failures start around the motor mount holes or poor sealing around the bung hole, check around these with the coin tap test.

- Darren

bluewaterbandit
20-09-2005, 06:30 AM
cant see any rego on it jack

FNQCairns
20-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Those boats as well as a few others were ahead of their time, that boat when 10km offshore can hold it's head up in any new boat crowd of the same length.

As mentioned above Rot is your biggest concern esp if some of the numbers being quoted above are true get a marine surveyer to give it the once over that boat is right at the age where one would suspect there could be rot hidden if it can be found they should find it.

IMO to minimise risk esp at 17 to 25K dont let anyone else like a dealer or a marine mechanic do the inspection must be a accredited marine surveyor they know exactly what sound etc they are looking for from hidden areas. cheers fnq

troy
20-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Jack i am from the Burdekin and i did not allow for the tandem trailer which could bump it up to 14000.00 .
As i said i am only basing the price on where i live as there has been one around for a long time and he wanted 17000.00 for it but the highest he got offered was what i said.
Down your way might be different as for taking the motor into consideration i have found that on a old boat even if it has a late model motor on it does not make much difference in price.
I heard that in Victoria you can get really top prices for the 17 Haines a lot more then other states .
all the best mate .
troy

Jack_Montana
21-09-2005, 05:01 PM
I went and had a look at this boat today and it's in amazing nick for it's age.The hull has new carpet,bimini,bunk infills,and seats.The trailer has all new running gear and is also in great nick.Both are fully registered,the number is at the bow of the hull in the shadow,Bandit.The motor is a 2000 130hp Saltwater series and still looks brand new,i don't know how many hours because this model doesn't have an hour meter in the 2 digital gauges,so i'm told (can anyone confirm this? ).The transom is very solid.The floor behind the drivers seat is a bit soft,the rest is hard.

All in all,it's a great looking rig and he wants 18k but is taking offers,i'd offer him 14k and work up from there.

Pro's:

Hull,motor,trailer all in great condition
Complete new fitout inside

Con's:

Not sure how many hours old the Yammy is
Only 120L fuel tank
No hydraulic steering
Has rear quarter seats,don't like these in a fishing boat
Soft floor,no access to look further

You can't get much for 15-16k these days and the motor might swing me but the floor concerns me.

Jack

troy
21-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Jack i would not go much more than 14000.00 as if there is dry rot you could be looking at a total cost of around 20000.00 .
only my opinion but as FNQ Cairns said they are a excellent boat one of the best Haines Hunter put out.
Just age and that three letter word goes against outlaying big dollars.
troy

familyman
21-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Also check the gearcase at the side parallel with the prop shaft as I have seen same age Yamahas with cracks in the case due to rusting bearing carriers,new leg time maybe ,not a cheap repair :-[
cheers jon

skippa
21-09-2005, 06:33 PM
G'day Jack,

Yep, soft floors are not are good sign, but it does sound only a small area. The hour meter is a seperate gauge, I don't know why you would repower tho and not get the 'standard set' of three gauges. :-?

I would suspect that it hasn't been on the coast long, come up from NSW or VIC by the look (or lack of) rego numbers maybe.

As familyman says, unfortunately some Yammies are susceptible to cracked gear cases. End results are a weld job or new/secondhand gearcase.

Ur right tho, plenty of crap 19 footers around when I was looking too, with some asking rediculious prices. Good idea to work up from your base price, but I think 16-17k would be my limit.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

Jack_Montana
21-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Thanks for all your feedback guys,much appreciated.

Would the soft floor stop you fella's from buying it?

A mechanical test would pick up the cracked gearbox if it had one wouldn't it?

I have a few days to think about it and i haven't ruled out a later model like a 620SF.

Jack

James_V17L
21-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Jack,
Not sure about the floor...I would pay someone to inspect it
& do a full inspection on the whole rig..well worth the $$$..

I bought a V17L : Mainly because ,in my opinion,it was the best value
for money within my budget at the time...but if had a swag more money I would definately look at something newer.. 620F..585 seeker..outsider etc etc...just my 2 bob...James

FNQCairns
21-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Behind the seat because nobody sealed the seat base screw holes properly/at all or with a proper sealant then after every trip a freshwater washdown then the bow is raised - voilą! rot in floor behind seat. Condensation also attacks from below the screwholes where the applied from above sealant cannot seal properly.

Really I would think long and hard paying much more than what you think the motor and trailer is worth for such an old boat solely on the basis of possible rot, if it was 12 - 15 years old I would flip a coin but a 30 year old boat really is a BIG risk and more-so now that you found some rot.
If you do get serious make sure you do find someone very good at diagnosing rot because in 3 to 5 years that hull might be worth nothing to anyone but you.
Then again after fixing the rot that is in it now the boat may be fine for another 15 years, you can minimise your risk with a competent surveyer. Wish you luck.
Cheers fnq

Mantaray
21-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Haines Hunter 565C,2000 Yamaha 130hp 2-stroke (not sure of hours yet) fish finder,27meg,under floor tank,4 wheel discs trailer.

Does anyone know the years these vessels were released,i rang Haines Hunter and they haven't got back to me.

The boat is owned by a friend of a friend and i thought i would run it past you guys before i go any further.

Any ideas how much?

Cheers

Jack Montana

75% - Until they come up with the rest of the trailer. There's an awfull lot hanging out the back in mid air, isn't there?

SIGNS2503
22-09-2005, 06:31 AM
THERE ARE MANY FIBREGLASS REPAIRERS THAT WILL FIX YOUR FLOOR FOR ABOUT $1000-$1500 THATS FOR THE WHOLE FLOOR, ITS AN IDEA TO GET A FEW QUOTES. IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY MECHANICALLY MINDED IT ISNT A VERY HARD JOB TO DO YOURSELF (MESSY YES, NOT HARD). I DID MY COMPLETE FLOORS 3 YEARS AGO COST ME ABOUT $500.00 IN MATERIALS AND USED THE BEST STUFF (HEAPS LEFT OVER TOO). LOTS OF READING AND PLENTY OF ASKING AROUND FROM OTHER FIBREGLASSERS. IF YOU ARE IN VICTORIA GIVE ME A BUZZ AS I HAVE FOUND AN EXCELLENT FIBREGLASSER THAT WORKS AT A VERY REASONABLE RATE.

skippa
22-09-2005, 07:36 AM
G'Day Jack,

If your still thinking about the 620SF then I'm guessing your budget is more than 16-17k. If your going to go the cheaper boat, then spend some money and get it professionally checked, in the long run it will be well worth it. You might find it still being a better buy than something that's a later model anyway. A mechanical check will find a cracked gearcase, if it is cracked.

I guess it's really up to you and your budget and what you want to use the boat for.

Can't answer whether I would still buy it from the limited pics and info supplied, but if your unsure, I would get it checked professionally tho.

Good luck and happy Haines Hunting #;)

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

Fishin_Dan
22-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Just be careful with floors being soft... I didnt think mine was that bad until I pulled it out.... Have a look at the link below (Share Project) for where I'm at...

Not trying to deter you, but just be careful.

Jack_Montana
22-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all your feedback,it's been very much appreciated.

I have decided to give this boat a miss.I discussed it with the Mrs. and we decided we'd be buying someone else's problem and it would just cost big $$$$$ down the track.The cost of repairing the floor and installing hydraulic steering and other unknown surprises all adds up.

Boats up to 5 years old aren't that much cheaper than buying it new,so we have decided to buy a brand spankin new boat ourselves.The Mrs. loves boating as much as i do.

The new search begins. ;D

Thanks again.

Jack

1810B
22-09-2005, 06:01 PM
if you want to check transom and deck for rot, an old trick is to tap around with a rubber hammer and listen for sound differences. No ned to bash with it, just moderate taps, if the owner lets you. Rubber hammer not metal or sledge.