PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a Southwind UB520

Kaiar
21-09-2005, 12:11 AM
Hey folks, new member here...Kaiar, Thanks for the great site. I am considering upgrading to a Southwind UB520 (second hand, around 98-00 model), one particular one I am looking at has a 50Hp Yamaha f/s on the back. I generally carry a fair bit of weight with camping and diving. Has anyone had any experience with this hull as I am a bit concerned that it is underpowered for my needs. Any comments on the hull (generally) and or the hull/motor combo would be appreciated. Any ideas what one is worth?
cheers :-/ :-/

krazyfisher
21-09-2005, 05:43 AM
I had a 5mtr goodwin long boat nearly same hull and a 50hp would do the job but it wont be quick maybe 30mph the good thing is load does not worry them as much as other boats

finding_time
21-09-2005, 12:45 PM
ive got a ub520 classic , it's the one with the solid floor ( marine ply + flow coat ) it's got a yami 4stroke 80hp . Heaps of power but the weight is in a bad spot what you gain in power you loss somewhere else. The 50's go ok ! i 'll send you a pm.
Ian

Here's a pic

finding_time
21-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Sorry can't send you a pm for some reason :-? :-?

Kaiar
21-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Thanks krazyfisher and finding-time. Appreciated.

Mantaray
21-09-2005, 10:01 PM
ive got a ub520 classic , it's the one with the solid floor ( marine ply + flow coat ) it's got a yami 4stroke 80hp . Heaps of power but the weight is in a bad spot what you gain in power you loss somewhere else. The 50's go ok ! i 'll send you a pm.
Ian

Here's a pic

Would that weight engine be exceeding the 520 for transom weight?

Baycruiser
21-09-2005, 10:25 PM
have a mate with one running a 75hp e-tec. Found it to be a soft riding hull for a 5.2m boat. Also thought it was pretty dry for an open boat.......in all, pretty impressed with performance for a 5.2m boat.....seem like a good fishing rig.

Mantaray
21-09-2005, 10:30 PM
I thought they were pretty wet so what is the definition of "pretty dry"?

Baycruiser
23-09-2005, 05:37 AM
pretty dry = hull pushed alot of spray down and away........yes, you still get wet occassionally with no cabin, especially when the wind is up and spray gets blown back over boat. But, like I said not bad for an open boat.

GBC
23-09-2005, 11:13 AM
G'day, the 50 4str should net you a cruise speed somewhere just shy of 20kts - guessing about 25+ kts ringing its neck. Spent a bit of time in finding time's rig and found it honest enough, sure footed under way, a bit tippy (for more generously proportioned gents (100+kg)...shaddup svelteman, however once the communication (hey d!ckhead I'm about to move) regime is sorted, not a problem. Have mentioned elsewhere that I'd look at something like this to replace the current rig (sig 542cc). Gotta say they are friggin wet, a pair a gum boots is a must because these things are a flush decker not a self drainer, and always have water sloshing around them. This is not to be confused with a lack of seaworthiness - cause they've got bucketloads of that - flushdeckers don't sink unless they've got holes in them. Most 5-6m self drainers will turn turtle with a decent wave in them.
And 520's have got this special wave piercing centre console in them.... but I'll let Finding Time elaborate on their bar crossing prowess... Bottom line is I'd go to sea in one any day, just dress for the occasion.

finding_time
23-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Bottom line is that in a bay chop they are very dry! They tend to knock the spray down.Offshore in 15 knots yep there wet! The self draining scuppers are at the waterline and as such not quite all the water drains out. As far as transom weight is concerned southwind strengthend the transoms from my model onward to take and 80hp 4 stroke or a 90 2 stroke the, 90 2 would really get up and g,but not worth lossing the 4 for.
Yes GBC i did get smashed while crossing the pincushion bar and had 3 four footers break into the boat and they all flowed out the back, for a 5 meter boat it really is very safe and sea worthy and spends alot of it's time along way offshore.
Ian

Mojo
23-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Hey, go for the Southwind , they are a good boat, any of the longboats will out perform any other boat of the same displacement. I have a Stinger 580 myself and love it. Regards Mojo (Graham)

youngfisho
23-09-2005, 02:43 PM
have heard good things about the stinger long boat, also have better features and options available. the 580 rampage is an awesome lookin boat. www.stingerboats.com.au good website too.

andrew