PDA

View Full Version : When to change trailer springs

scuttlebutt
21-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Just thought I'd post up this pic of my rusted out trailer springs. I only found out how bad they were on a chance inspection. I was quite surprised how quickly this rust damage occurred, so I've opted for galvanised springs now.

It's worth keeping an eye on them.

cheers,

steve

FNQCairns
21-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Mate that is just shocking :o I guess you dont do much open road travel? Not a moment too soon for new springs I'll say!. cheers fnq

Heath
21-09-2005, 09:33 PM
paint your new spring with rust inhibitor & smear grease all over it. Will extend its life by a long shot.

Mantaray
21-09-2005, 09:58 PM
Chance inspection? How could you not notice springs like that on a boat trailer? Springs? what springs?

scuttlebutt
21-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Yes you're quite right mantaray. Anyway, my point is that standard ungalvanised springs don't last long with frequent use (I've since been told that a year or two is considered a good run), and while I know you would never find yourself in such a predicament, it may remind others to check them out.

cheers,

steve

Mantaray
21-09-2005, 10:26 PM
If it might remind others to check them out then so much better but the mind boggles at just what else they need reminding about? Might have to check my tyres as well, just to make sure they are still on the rims!

scuttlebutt
21-09-2005, 10:30 PM
I'm sure your tyres would be just fine.

cheers,

steve

Mantaray
21-09-2005, 10:32 PM
But i better have a look anyway, just in case?

rumy1
21-09-2005, 10:33 PM
I was looking at my springs today while I am changing my hubs, brakes and bearings. They are very rusty but not as bad as yours. What is the price for GAL springs as opposed to normal steel springs ? Just roughly what do both sets cost ?
I should change them and also my wire cable for the brakes.
I have a Dunbier trailer that is 2001 model and already it's all rusted to bits. Is there a certain wire cable I can get that won't rust ? Maybe that's a stupid question but only new to boating.
Thanks for any help !

Angla
21-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Thats a good reminder to others to be vigilant in looking for problems before they ruin a good thing.

Angla

scuttlebutt
22-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Rumy, sounds like your situation is identical to mine (almost)... Dunbier trailer 2001 model. The standard springs were about $34 a side, and the galvanised ones were $54 a side. Both prices are before you add fittings (u-bolts etc). Fitting them isn't very complicated, but if you choose to have them fitted by a shop, add about $100 altogether.

Heath, that sounds like a good tip too

cheers,

steve

scott_b
22-09-2005, 08:39 AM
Gday
Has anyone had any trouble with gal springs breaking?. I've only got a small tinny and use the single leaf gal springs (parabolic, I think??) anyway 2 have broken ,1 broke before I had towed it and the other not long after. Replaced them with 2 spares I had and not a problem since ,3 years ago. Touch wood!.
wamjam

camsharkman
22-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Hey wamjam
I've got all gal springs on my Dunbier which holds my Quintrex 600 offshore. Broke 1 spring very early on which was warranty. No dramas ever since in about 30 000k's. Apparently there is quite an art to galvanizing spring steel. 8-)

FNQCairns
22-09-2005, 09:35 AM
It's a good pic scuttlebutt, shows just how bad things can get in salt water when you take your eyes off for a while , I was tossing up changing mine but if yours made it that far without failing all-together I can go another couple of years, fuel goes up maintenance costs need to come down ;).

Curious did you only travel to close ramps in the last year or so.

cheers fnq

billfisher
22-09-2005, 10:29 AM
Yes,
I hate to put a fly in the ointment but gavanising can interfer with the spring of the steel and gal springs can tend to break. I get at least 4 years out of my non gal springs by spraying them with lanolin. By this time they start to loose their spring and sag, so rust is not really the issue.

Heath
22-09-2005, 11:35 AM
When we put the parabolic springs on our Quintrex trailer, the guy at the Trailer pace advised to not use the gal ones. So got the raw ones & coated them in rust inhibitor & coated with a smear of grease.

Mantaray
22-09-2005, 07:32 PM
Gal springs? Now some are on the right track? Forget them.

troy
23-09-2005, 07:25 PM
reply seems familiar

Kendall
24-09-2005, 01:54 AM
What I have done to fight the rust is coated just about everthing with a product called Tectol. it is a wax based rust preventer.
Can be purchased at supercheap and it is great stuff. it can be brushed on or sprayed on.
It is amazing though the number of trailers boat or other that are on the side of the roads at the start of summer.
Tyres blown and no spare, shot bearings, It takes all of 5 min to do a walk around and check, best time is a quiet day at the ramp when the boat is in the water, everything is exposed.
I hope this post prompts people to take a look at their humble trailer.
Try and get to the ramp without it .......