PDA

View Full Version : Variable Deadrise Hulls

2iar
23-09-2005, 10:00 AM
Hi All,

Still dreaming about boats :D

In the next year or two, I'll be seriously looking to take the next step and go for a fibreglass boat. Probably a cuddy or half cabin between 4.7 - 5.3m that I can combine family boating and fishing. Price range 20-25k

I've been compiling my wish list, and like the look of the VDH. Can anyone advise if this is a feature of only Haines Signature boats, Haines in general, or is it more common (are here other brands with it)?

Is the VDH as good as it sounds?

Thanks,
Mike

Smithy
23-09-2005, 10:05 AM
As far as I know it is really only on the Haines Signatures that have VDH. I wouldn't buy a boat based on that one priciple alone. I don't think your dollars will stretch very far - especially to a 5.2 Signature. You might be more in 492 territory so I would suggest something older and bigger and secondhand in that price range.

2iar
23-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks Smithy,

Yeah I figured I'd be going 2nd hand, but not too old. I've always drooled over the Signatures, I just wasn't sure if VDH was limited to them. Looks like it narrows my choice if it's a "must have" on the wish list. Do they really make that much differnce?

Mike

PinHead
23-09-2005, 12:31 PM
I am intrigued at to what VDH actually is..deadrise is measured at the transom..naturally that degree is not carried through to the bow...they are all variable in that respect.

FNQCairns
23-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Pinhead this boat is a VDH but still known for it's highspeed rough water performance because it has only a very light degree of VD ;D -sorry :-[, typically the more agressive the VD :-[ the poorer the rough water ride.
I am sure you will get the drift from this pic.

This is either a sea-V, or a contender forget which but both are highly regarded.

TheBream
23-09-2005, 05:31 PM
one thing i have against VDH is that when trolling they have a tendancy to want to get on the plane alot sooner so when trolling at 7 knots and going down the face of a swell they can want to get up and go and hence needs you working the throttle alot more ;)

snappa
23-09-2005, 08:01 PM
signatures have a variable d/r.....

the haines have a contant d/r .... my seeker 585 has a contant d/r

22 deg

its a major factor when considing the ride quality of a boat

Monza
24-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Signature VDH hull of 600rf - note flat planing plank on bottom, steep 33 deg slope flattenning out to 21 deg on outside. Hull is noted for rough water handling of a deep vee, but low speed planing ability of shallow vee hull - in truth though it's probably a compromise of both.

kitty_cat
24-09-2005, 10:47 AM
note the biggest difference is that the signatures hull is convex rather thn all others concave, will not say to much as i sell them for signature at springwood marine and dont want to abuse this forum, as fishing is a passion if mine and would rather been known as a fisherman than someone who is just in it for personal gain but if you really want to know how it works call me at work or drop in it really is worth the effort to get the imformation to use it as you want.
wayne

Angla
24-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys. That is stuff I just never knew before. Very informative and excellent pic's

Angla