PDA

View Full Version : New boat cover

Angla
21-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Picked up the new boat cover today. Good looking job for the money. Got the material from that super cheap store as a car cover ( actually 3 car covers )
Had the upholsterer cut them up, reinforce at strategic points and then pattern it together. All plastic click catches and a big zipper at the back for easy access.
Should do the job of protecting the boat from the sun and leaves, yet still allow it to breath.
took less than 10 minutes to put on first time but more importantly 3 minutes to take off and stow away.
Light weight too

Angla

Angla
21-09-2005, 11:37 PM
And another look

Roo
22-09-2005, 12:50 PM
do you have to take it off to tow?

roo. :-?

Wyoming
22-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Angla - is that an Explorer 575? #If so, do you have a camper cover that zips along the targa roof at the top and the bottom somehow fixes along the transom? #I'd be really interested in your opinion beacuse I need one for mine.

Angla
22-09-2005, 07:20 PM
roo It is only for stowing not towing

Wyoming Its a 575 Outsider and no I do not have a cover like that. Here is a clearer shot of the extended cover
The extension comes back about 800 mm and is a very good shade cover but I am 6 foot 4 and it rubs my hair and annoys me during fishing unless I wear a cap.

Angla

Angla
22-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Extension

Outsider
22-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Who did the upholstery work for you? What brand of car covers, and how much for the work? It's a great idea, I'd put a velcro opening at the top so I could stick my aerials on top of the Hardtop out and seal it around the bases so they dont have the cover pulling down on them.

Baycruiser
22-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Angla, looks good. I have a big poly tarp over my 575 at present (needs replacing). What was the damage for your cover? Looks like a good alternate to a high cost custom cover. Would love some more detail on your set-up if possible?

Angla
22-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Baycruiser Total Damage $638.00 for Upholsterer + $105.00 for Materials
happy to supply any other details or arrange for you to see.
I do not think it will have a long life but if I get 5 years out of it I think its probably worth it.

Angla

88fishframe
23-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Nice looking cover and will get the job done beautifully. Don't want to disapoint you on price, but my upholsterer made up a full cover for towing and stowing, full tie down, trimmed to perfectly suit my boat [a 5.5m NQ Cat] out of shade sail [10 year warranty on fading] for $650.00. Plus he fixed my car seat and did a full motor cover out of the same shade sail as free extras. The shade sail material is light enough for one person to handle and stops all UV light - but is not fully waterproof like some other materials. It comes in many colours and being a Qld'r I went for maroon. GO THE COWBOYS !!!!!

youngfisho
23-09-2005, 03:37 PM
yeah go the cowboys ;D ;D,

i bought a silver tarp from super cheap, the bloody thing cost 90 bucks, and flakes and sheds all this silvery flakey stuff, wouldn't recommend it

andrew

Angla
24-09-2005, 09:29 AM
88fishframe, I always thought my guy was a bit dear. But he is close and it is a good job in my eyes.
The material has a soft feel to it so it won't rub the fibreglass and is reinforced at vital spots.
He did also have to cut up car covers so he did not start with flat material

Angla :)

bidkev
25-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Angla, ditto mate. :) Here's my baby's new doonah ;D have to admit it cost a few bob more than yours :'( It on ly has two tie downs and they're at the rear. They're run through the sides and act like draw strings so that when you pull on them to tie down thy pull the tarp tight into the side of the boat.

My anchor light stands proud of the rod holders so I bent some ally pipe which fits into the rod holders holding the cover away from the light and holders. Although it is reinforced at this contact point I still thought it wiser to not having it rubbing against the rod holders. I suppose you could make one from poly pipe with a couple of bends it brings the cover a couple of inches higher up the sides of the boat than they should have otherwise been, but nevertheless I think it's better than having the cover rubbing against the rocket launcher.

cheers

kev

bidkev
25-09-2005, 10:15 AM
Another

Baycruiser
25-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Hey Angla, thanks for the info & offer to look at cover. Once I get a bit closer to doing something about replacing mine I may send you a PM & come have a look.....thanks again.

Angla
25-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Kingtin, Nice cover there and will keep the eggs off too. Seriously mine was a bit warm inside today so I left the zipper open. Did you have an access point installed for quick access or do you have to undo it to a larger degree?
I may put some bent electrical conduit into the rocket launchers as you have done so thanks for that idea.

Baycruiser More than happy to share ideas. Thats what this forum is about for me.

Angla

bidkev
25-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Mate, being white it reflects the heat pretty well, unlike the storm covers underneath which are black. There is easy acces at the rear due to it being drawstring. On some days I just slacken 'em during the day, lift the back up and unzip the storm covers to let the boat "breathe"

Yeah, the last eggs happened when I had come back from fishing and didn't cover it 'cause I was gonna gurney it down in the morning.

cheers

kev