PDA

View Full Version : Tohatsu 30hp - any comments

Lager
15-09-2005, 08:15 AM
I am in the process of purchasing a new 4.2 m tinnie (tiller steer) and am deciding on an outboard to power it. The dealer is recommending a 30hp tohatsu with the option of getting a 30hp Yammie for an extra $800.
What do people think of Tohatsu outboards? Is it worth forking out the extra $800 for a Yammie?
I would greatly appreciate any comments.

Tracker
15-09-2005, 09:06 AM
for the $800.00 difference I would that the tohatsu anytime. Have owned both and the toy is a honest hard working donk with plenty of guts and quite easy to service. Spend the extra doe on a good sounder or whatever.
cheers Brian

MAD-MIC
15-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Tohatsu's are a good motor - that I have recently realised. But their biggest problem is that they are not supported by many dealers and service centres. In SE Qld I only know of one around here. Parts and accesories are very hard to find.

gogecko
15-09-2005, 02:46 PM
I love my Tohatsu, even if the clutch went last week. It was 30 yrs old. They just keep going.

I aslo found a retired Tohatsu mechanic on the Gold Coast who still works from home. PM me if you want his details.

krazyfisher
15-09-2005, 04:30 PM
go the tohatsu the $800 can be used in many other places. i have had a 15hp 40hp 50hp 60hp and 90hp all tohatsu and never any real problem

MIKOS
15-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Lager,
do what Krazyfisher says.they are a tough motor and are often overlooked.I have a mercury 15 super which is a rebadged tohatsu and have never had a problem. ;)

Cheers

MIKOS

pegasus
15-09-2005, 07:04 PM
hi there lager, I am no expert or o/b mech. I had a 30 tohastu on a 4.1 k/c allycraft. Found it a solid,honest reliable o/b-gear shift on the side- some people like some people dont- little extra twisting but less chance of gear box damage with people doing swift gear shifts on the tilller. as mentioned earlier tohastu are often over looked but mostly have a very good reports for those who have them .may be not as flash or plastic y as some others- maybe a tad heavier than some others also. Often used by the pro s- and many mercs are tohastus in a different coat. The above tohatsu was my third one I have owned over the years on various rigs- never had a problem. If I wanted a basic honest 2 stroke they would be high on the list. Dont know what area you are in- around Brisy- north/south- last I knew- Neptune Marine- (springwood)Satisfaction - (labrador) D@D marine Maroochydore are few tohastu agents that come to mind- all good.I understand they re pretty straight forward in the servicing area.
Nope- am not on toh s pay role/no spotters fee applicable
best regards
lew

Lager
16-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks to everyone for their useful comments. Looks like I will be getting the Tohatsu. The $800 I save will be useful in order to get a few more extras.

Bowser
17-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Lager, to put a different view on it, I would need to know which particular models you are looking at. If it is a 2 cylinder Toy vs a 3 cylinder Yammie, would get the Yammie everyday for a much better engine that is a hell of a lot smoother more vibration free. If it is the CV model Yammie then go the Tohatsu. Just make sure you are comparing apples with apples as far as the technology in the motor is concerned.

Larf
26-09-2005, 08:16 AM
good motors just looking in the yellow pages you have bayview ,neptune ,rivercity,bribie
you also have many service techs who have the ability it is simply the dealer and/or motor supplier lack of wanting to help you out.
spares are and have been available,again it is your local service persons lack of wanting to help.

88fishframe
26-09-2005, 08:48 AM
On a resale perspective, the yammies do hold their value quite well if looked after. The extra $800- would come close to being made back up if you were to sell the rig in the next 2 to 3 years. I also agree with Bowsers's comments.