PDA

View Full Version : DIY fitting anchor well into tinny

PG
26-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Looking for anyone's experiences fitting an anchor well into the bow of a tinny. I'm looking with keen interest into one of those white poly anchor wells to fit into the front of my 4m tinny but taking a look at the bow, there's a cross support/rib across under the bow panel. I would need to cut a chunk out of this to fit the anchor well, but what I'm thinking is that if I screw the anchor well back into this rib when it's fitted, is there going to be enough strength retained with the bit missing?
I don't imagine I need a huge amount of strength up there but it's not a heavy duty boat to start with so treading cautiously.
Any comments or experience with this would be great to hear about it.
Thanks,
Paul.

blaze
26-09-2005, 11:18 AM
you could always pop rivet a small right angled section across the top, 25 x 25 x 3mm should do the trick and it would be stronger than original and should also bend around the curve if there is one.
cheers
blaze

FNQCairns
26-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Probably not, go with blazes suggestion and some slightly elastic grade of marine sealant for where the angle pops/screws the poly and top sheet, will be much stronger than new.
cheers fnq

Jeremy
26-09-2005, 01:54 PM
get an alloy boat builder/repairer to make one up out of alluminium and weld it in for you. The poly ones may not fit very well against the curve of your foredeck, and a welded job will last much longer and can be custom designed to suit your needs. Should be able to get it done for about $250.

Jeremy