PDA

View Full Version : BURLEY BUCKET TO ANCHOR

youngfisho
23-09-2005, 03:05 PM
where do most people clip their burley bucket to. ie anchor or anchor chain. or
use a separate rope and weight to put it down. not sure about how I should set it up. what do fellow ausfishers think.

andrew [smiley=help.gif]

Mr__Bean
23-09-2005, 03:09 PM
I have lost 2 by forgetting to pull them up before driving off. #:'( #:'( #:'( #:'(

Maybe I should put them on the anchor.

- Darren

youngfisho
23-09-2005, 03:18 PM
yeah

im just not sure whether that would affect the performance of the anchor allowing it to dig in with the increased drag.

I have it attached to the d shackle that links the chain to the rope. this will mean that it is about 2 -3 metres above the sea bed. hopefully where the fish are lurking getting that burley to where its needed.

andrew

2iar
23-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Depends where you're fishing and what you're targetting I suppose.

I only really do estuary work, so just tie the pot to one of the grab handles at the back on light rope. Easier that way to pull it up for checking without pulling up the anchor. It's also better being at the back as that's where I'm fishing so hopefully I'm in amongst the fish it's supposed to be attracting.

However, you've got to remember to pull it up when you set off - I've lost a couple that way. I'm sure someone will hand them in at the clubhouse :D

good luck,
Mike

TheBream
23-09-2005, 05:28 PM
one thing i would be careful off and i have heard from places like SA is that haveing the burly pot to a anochor line can cause some trouble with the bigger sharks if they come in
not only can you lose your anchor line but you run the risk of haveing a big shark entangled in the roap and that from what i'v heard isn't fun

ribbit
25-09-2005, 07:11 PM
If you fish fast water, it is a sure way of getting burey to bottom. Try using an onion bag on about 1/2 mtr rope instead of cage. Put a frozen block in it and works a treat. Lost 2 to sharks in 2 years and cheap if u lose.

QldKev
26-09-2005, 07:26 AM
I use a 40lb fishing line on a hand reel. We make up a mix in the blender and pour it into old 2L milk cartons, then freeze; you can make a few up a t a time. Tie the milk container to the fishing line, stab it with a knife all over the place and over it goes. As it defrosts you get a mix. If a shark should take it its 40lb line that can be broken off without draging the boat down (like rope) and when you get home just drop the old milk carton into the bin.

4evafishin
26-09-2005, 06:14 PM
where do most people clip their burley bucket to. ie anchor or anchor chain. or
use a separate rope and weight to put it down. not sure about how I should set it up. what do fellow ausfishers think.

andrew [smiley=help.gif]

Mate -- Ive never thought of putting the Burley bucket on the Anchor chain -- it has all the obvious advantages -- one thing to do might be to attach a carrabeena to the anchor rope once its set and then attach the burley bucket and let it run down the anchor rope.

Needmorerum
26-09-2005, 08:01 PM
one thing to do might be to attach a carrabeena to the anchor rope once its set and then attach the burley bucket and let it run down the anchor rope.

What a top idea. It could even have it's own lighter rope or line so you can pull it up whenever you like to. Now, to make one up.

Corry

PS. Welcome, another CQ Ausfisher is good to see.

Fisher_Boats
26-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Youngfisho,
What depth of water are you thinking?

Col

youngfisho
27-09-2005, 11:18 AM
col

no deeper than 30m, in and around moreton bay

andrew

Fisher_Boats
27-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Andrew,
We mucked around with this in the deeper water. Made up some ali bombs that slid down the anchor rope on a ring but found they didn't let out the burley enough unless you could move them. We ended up cable tying onion bags with frozen burley in them about 10-12 mtrs up the rope from the chain. This worked well but was only good for one session at anchor as the bouys had to slide over it when retrieving the anchor. Hope this is some help.

Cheers Col