PDA

View Full Version : fitting side console

sporty1
26-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Hi Guys

I am fitting a side console to my tinnie, A couple of questions. what total cables etc will be required?
1.Where can I purchase a control box for my 2001 25 HP Mercury pref second hand or new cost?
2. What else will I need eg wheel, bizel, stering cable, throttle cables etc?
3. what do I need as attachment to out board for steering connection?
4. where is the best place to purchase item in one stop?

a complete list of what I require would be appreciated

any good sites for the installation of this equip

Many thanks

Blue_Escape
26-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Hi Sporty,
I recently converted my '90 40HP Johno, not easy doing yourself but the end result was very satisfying and saved me $$'s.

Is your 25 Merc electric start and/or power trim tilt? If it has 'full electrics' you may want to go for a genuine Merc control box that way all the plugs/wires just line-up, you will also need a wiring harness to go from motor to remote control. New genuine control boxes are very expensive $500-600 I got one on ebay for about $200 with harness & cables. You also need the two control cables for throttle and gear shift. Other option is to go for a cheaper 'universal' control box (eg. Teleflex). OK for throttle & gear shift but if you want remote start, trim tilt etc. you will need a shop manual for your motor to work out the wiring.

Steering is the easiest part. You can buy a 'complete' kit from BLA for about $200 I would recommend the Teleflex Safety T II NFB (non-feedback) it is the next best thing to hydraulic (for small outboards) at a low cost. Not sure about the 25 Merc but if you can install through the tilt tube is simplest you then just need a link arm to connect to motor.

The console I used was from the Bermuda range (BLA again) it's "plastic" but very strong quite happy with it for the price, bit over $300 versus quotes of $600-700 for an alloy one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Blue

sporty1
26-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Thanks Blue

My merc is not electric start or trim tilt, I had a side console made up by a local Aluminium Fabricator for $275. Can steering cables etc be shortened or do I need to buy the correct size? My tinnine is only 4m so the distaance is only about 8 feet.

Blue_Escape
27-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Sporty,
NO, steering and control cables cannot be shortened. You shouldn't have any problem though as you can get standard ones down to 6-7'. Just remeber to allow for "bend radius" the cables are quite stiff and bending too tightly can jam/damage them. You also need 1-2' loop on the throttle/shift cables to allow for movement of the motor.

Blue