PDA

View Full Version : HP Rating Upgrade

2iar
23-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Hi All,

I'm after some advice here

I've got a small (11 foot) Clark Cutter, the plate says it's rated to 10hp. Everyone, dealers/mates etc, reckon I'm fine to go 15hp. I'd be interetested in this because I reckon a modern 15 weighs less than my 1990 Yamaha 9.9hp, therefore I'd get more power with a lighter back end.

However, no one I've spoken to can advise how to have the plate upgraded to rate for more than what it currently says (other than using an engraving tool myself :D) - I don't want to invalidate any insurance or prevent me being able to re-sell the rig later on.

Is there somewhere I can get it officially tested and if necessary strengthened, and the plate updated?

Thanks for any advice,
Mike

2iar
23-09-2005, 02:42 PM
For anyone interested, I've just been speaking to Maritime Safety (QLD).

It seems that the HP rating doesn't really matter all that much from a "legal" perspective. By doing my research (eg weight of new motor etc), I'm already fulfillling the requiremens of the General Safety Obligation. If I can get a letterheaded document from a boat builder (or dealer) saying they reckon the boat can handle the motor, I should be right. I just need to check that this also suits the insurance company (Suncorp).

The General Safety Obligation, and it's ambiguous interpretation never ceases to amaze me.

Mike

peterbo3
23-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Hi Mike,
When I put the new 90 4St on the Lightning, I needed a pod to compensate for the extra weight as the previous donk was a 75 Mariner which was much lighter. Bart Thomas at AMM did the mods & certified the work as being done to the required Australian Standard & that the boat could now handle the 90.
This satisfied both Qld Tpt & Suncorp.

Larf
27-09-2005, 04:54 PM
your right it all comes back to the person willing to stamp the boat.because it is on their shoulders ,barts a good bloke at AMM