PDA

View Full Version : 'Idle Outboard'

fisho
25-09-2005, 08:18 PM
I have a tinnie that I leave at a house I own up north. The boat and motor are left for up to 6 months without use and are housed in a lockable shed.

What is the suggested procedure for preparing an outboard for a sustained 'rest' such as this in between fishing trips.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
25-09-2005, 10:14 PM
If it were mine I would be making sure it was properly flushed out with fresh water and maybe a mild additive such as 'Mac's' and well covered with an old blanket or something that can breathe. When it is time to use it again I would take out the plugs and squirt in some oil and turn the motor over by hand ( by the prop) just to lubricate the cylinders. Then kick her in the guts.

Just my thoughts

Dave

seabug
25-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Hi fisho,
I have found that when I store Petrol /oil mix engines for an #extended time the oil seems to build up to a sludge in the carby and the motor is impossible to start.

Now I flush the motor with fresh water and then disconnect the fuel line and leave running until the engine stops.
When next I want to use it I put in fresh mix and it starts easily.

Regards Seabug

fisho
26-09-2005, 02:24 PM
What about the fuel left in the tank - do I ditch it after 6 months? How long does it last?

seabug
26-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Not sure how long it would last.
I put mine through my rider mower.

rajawolf
27-09-2005, 12:13 AM
I use the fuel in my car..works fine.

ANYFISH
27-09-2005, 12:50 AM
gday fisho

you could just let us all use it when you are not there to keep it running just sweet ::) ::) ;D

cheers anyfish

QldKev
27-09-2005, 07:45 AM
I agree with the others; good water flush, either no fuel line and run it dry/drop the fuel drain plugs if available, use some engine fogging oil; finally coat engine with inox. Take the fuel with you to use in Car/lawn mower/etc.

bigmack
27-09-2005, 02:24 PM
seems related to this - what do you all think about the various engine flush treatments available - are they worth it? do they work

dnej
27-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Petrol lasts 60 days tops, and even that can be too long sometimes.
David

QldKev
27-09-2005, 06:49 PM
My treatment plan is as follows

3 monthly add 100:1 metho to tank to rid water (car and boat)
2 monthly add Mooreys Upper cyl lube (car and boat)
Yearly decarbon treatment (boat only)