PDA

View Full Version : boatsafe licensing test

Gbanger
26-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Did my boat license on the weekend, under the new boatsafe legislation.

It is an absolute pain in the ass (boring and long) and extremely easy... consider yourself lucky if you are already licensed.. #as i wouldnt want to do this again

the course was from 8am to 5:30pm with minimal prac time (spent about 15 minutes behind the wheel)

on the flipside i did learn a fair bit and feel more confident now..

just amazing to see people in 30foot mustangs travelling down the wrong side of the channel.

MAD-MIC
26-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Hi Gbanger,

I will have to bite the bullet soon and go for mine as the boat I have spent 12 mths re-furbing is now ready for trials and I am not water-legal yet.

Where did you get yours and how much?

morty103
26-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Did mine in noosa river with an old bloke called 'Lloyd Cairns'.
Fair dinkum, it was the shortest and easiest test ive ever done, it was 20-30 mins long. Drove up the main channel from the boat hire places into woods bay, threw out a bouy, backed up chuked it into neutral picked it up and then looked at a few markers explained them and took of home.
And i had to tell him what 'epirb' was, and what i had to take with me offshore
it was piss easy
Morty

stubbie
26-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Looks like it's 'offshore' here we come ay G'banger ;D Givus a yell when ya get the new rig [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

backhoe
26-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Missus has to get her licence. Has anyone had any experience with anyone doing these courses/tests on the south side of Brisbane, good or bad?

gropeher
26-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Backhoe,
I used Allstate boat licensing, a full days theory at Wynnum, then an hour on the water practical first up Sunday morning, buggers up your weekend and yes they are fairly boring but its gotta be done eh.

Ryan..

Black_Rat
26-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Look out not another Gbanger getting wet down the coast ;D ;D ;D congrats [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

rajawolf
27-09-2005, 12:05 AM
MAD-MIC,
The standard fee for the course seems to be $150,,plus then u have to pay #Queensland Transport ...I think from memory about $34 for the invisible lifetime licence.

The course is very long #almost a full day, #but you learn a lot..well worth it...and you have no choice must do the course.

I used "Archies" on the Gold Coast.

Gbanger
27-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Used Australian Boating College, it was 140 (had a group booking of more than 3 so got a 10$ discount)... the course used to be a couple of hours untill July 1 when the licensing rules changed...

Stubbie and Blackrat, looks like ill have it for the 2nd weekend of october.. ps. the new dog seems keen on fishing, he hooked himself the other day...

2iar
27-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Archies next to Colmslie boat ramp.

Mildly entertaining, but a piece of piss. You can't really blame them - it's Queensland Transport that compile the "exam".

It's frightening the sort of vessel I can now legally skipper [smiley=speechless.gif]

Good luck,
Mike

Black_Rat
28-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Used Australian Boating College, it was 140 (had a group booking of more than 3 so got a 10$ discount)... # the course used to be a couple of hours untill July 1 when the licensing rules changed...

Stubbie and Blackrat, looks like ill have it #for the 2nd weekend of october.. # ps. the new dog seems keen on fishing, he hooked himself the other day...

I'll lock it in #;) may we be blessed with magical weather that weekend #:D