PDA

View Full Version : PC cable for GARMIN 178C

scuttlebutt
28-09-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm interested to know of anyone who has a Garmin 178C and downloads info to Computer via a PC cable. I have a PC cable on order, though am interested in other users' experiences with this unit. Also what software is required to download the info?

cheers,

steve

Moffy
28-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Steve,

I just bought a 172C on Monday - yet to be hardwired into the boat (boat's still on the way :'() - but i got them to make up a power/data cable for it - to be able to hook up to the computer (and also to power the unit in the camping boat - or more specifically in my brother's boat for our trip up north of weipa in a couple of weeks time)

they mentioned there's software online that you can download to use to download and manage your waypoints etc on. - I'm yet to look into that side of it yet - but I assume it would be the same program you'd need for the 178C - if i track down the software, I'll let you know the details.

Moffy.

scuttlebutt
28-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks Moffy,

I had a quick look on the GARMIN site and looks like there are some downloads available there. The guys at the shop told me they'd have to make up a PC cable for me 'cause Garmin don't sell them in Australia - sounds the same as your situation.

cheers,

steve

Moffy
28-09-2005, 03:37 PM
the one they (Markwell Marine) made up for me was straight off the shelf, (i.e with Garmin plug on the end) through to bare wires on each of the two cables on the other and they soldered it up with serial port plug (for the computer) and lighter plug (for power) no problem

only thing is they wired the lighter socket plug and the serial port plug about 5 inches apart - see pic ::) - not going to be real easy to put my power supply around the back of the computer to run it all - (so i'll have to use a lighter plug extension cord which is not ideal) - you might like to make sure they don't do the same with yours.

88fishframe
28-09-2005, 03:53 PM
I use the new version GPS Map 276C. All my bits come from 'Johnny Appleseed' who has shops in all states. From my experience he is the cheapest and seems to specialize in Garmin. The downloads are all from the Garmin website and I have had no problems. Check out the Johhny Appleseed website [do a google search] and call their 1800 number for sales assistance.

reScuE_RanGEr
28-09-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi Guys,

Garmin has some new software out called a Marine Data Management Kit which comes with a PC cable for the GPS units and the software required to download waypoints and save waypoints etc. Havent seen it in action as yet, but I know it sells for around $110. Boating & Leisure World on the Gold Coast have them in stock.

Steve