PDA

View Full Version : johno 120 hp

rubba
29-09-2005, 06:24 PM
have johno 120 hp on second hand boat 93 model anything i should know about them or problems :o

Pual
29-09-2005, 09:39 PM
YES, Be careful with the oil injection, that is , if it is still attached to the motor as a lot have been disconnected.
OMC had heaps of problems with the oil pumps.
I owned a 120hp Johnson about the same vintage. After the motor was not used for say 1-2 weeks when I would kick the motor over in the backyard to make sure everything was going ok, the amount of smoke would be incredible. I would have to shut all the windows of the house, otherwise there would be a 2 stroke stink for a day or two. Aparently this was caused by the oil being drawn into the carburetor from the oil tank. Suggested way of stopping this was to buy an upgraded oil pump or put an inline tap, problems with this was that if you forgot to turn the tap on - ceased motor or posibility of air instead of oil - again bad for the motor. I also tried a few different oils in the mean time.
What to do can't live with the smoke.
Next step, disconnect oil injection (pretty simple and cheap to do). No more excessive smoke. Just had to premix then but at least I knew the oil was getting to the motor. Still bad enough to be the standout at the ramp as far as smoke and smell.
Upgraded the motor in the long run and am now a happy fisherman and much more environmentally friendly one at that.
Upside to this motor is that there were thousands of them sold so parts should not be a problem and most mechanics have worked on this type of motor at some time if not for ever. Plus the one I had was a pretty strong motor as well.
Paul

rubba
30-09-2005, 05:20 PM
thanks paul for youre info dale