PDA

View Full Version : Nauticus Smart tabs

FNQCairns
29-09-2005, 07:19 PM
Hi all, I just a couple of hours ago recieved my smart tabs from the PO Box.
I asked for the 60lb actuators but recieved the 80lb ones ::) :-?

Does anyone currently have these with either the 60 or 80lb actuators fitted to their boat?
I dont know what to do :-/ the 60lb option was a guess and the 80lb might actually work better but it might be as long as 4 months before I fit them, hard to return after all that time.

Happy to hear from anyone with these tabs fitted or any thoughts you might have.

Thanks fnq

bluewaterbandit
29-09-2005, 07:46 PM
GO FOR THE 80S FNQ SHOULD WORK BETTER AND LAST LONGER THAN THE 60s CHEERS

familyman
29-09-2005, 07:52 PM
NQ to my way of thinking it is the angle of the tab not how much oomph is behind it ,for a given size of boat.Obviously if you had ordered 80lb actuators and received 60lb ones then that could be a problem but your way you should be ok.Is the tab size different from one to the other ?If not then the only problem I can foresee is that you may be able to overtrim quite easily and therefore you will need to be careful to not do barrel rolls ;)
cheers jon

FNQCairns
29-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Nah! Guys, these are not like your normal tabs, these are automatic the faster you go the flatter the tabs get when the boat stops they automatically fully extend. So instead of 60lb of water pressure to flatten them I will need 80lb, although I do not fully understand that function and how it will relate to this boat, I have never run it before.

My hull has a bit of hook built into in it so I am actually worried about the corkscrew you spoke of familyman, especially in a following sea.

Cheers fnq

blaze
29-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Hi Nq
Looked at that type of tab myself over time. My thoughts are why would you tab a boat and then not have control over the tab, I fitted mine for wind list and not sure how they would respond to that. Now the 60/80 question mmmmmmmmmmmm thinking about that. The tab surface area of both are the same ? looking at the 60/80 as numbers not a lot of difference but in % its about 25%, changes perspectives a bit. Are these the usa goods. Quick
cheers
blaze

FNQCairns
29-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Blaze I bought new on Ebay from Brisbane-Problem is they were the last set, I confirmed via email before bidding that they were the 60lb struts ::). Have yet to leave feedback so have some leverage still ;)

I decided I needed something to jump the boat on the plane fast (faster than an operator can work remote tabs) with my 2 feet of setback and heavy bait tank/capping now on the boat.

Also I wanted the tab effect to largely disappear once running. Of coarse all this is purely theory, dont know exactly what I will get when the boat is finished, it's an experiment 8-)

cheers fnq

blaze
29-09-2005, 10:18 PM
So how do the accuators work ? are the a spring or a gas/oil unit like a shockie
cheers
blaze
Ps
just ring him up and tell him he sent the wrong ones and ya coming to rip his :) keyboard out

FNQCairns
29-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Yeah gas oil, but then where do I put the keyboard ;D ;D

Edit - actually just gas I think.

sjp
30-09-2005, 06:07 AM
i put a set on 40 lb on my 4.8 tiller with a 60 on the back and iam really impressed ,why dont you contact the web site ,there is a small adjustment pressure adjustment on them or reducing the angle might help or just put a bigger motor on ;D

FNQCairns
30-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Hi sjp, thanks for that, now that I have had some extra time to digest the 80lbs :) . With the adjustable changes in fulcrum angle you mentioned, also my transom angles out - these struts might work.
The seller might have done me a favour :-/ I think I will just suck it and see.

Wish I was savy enough to mathematically work out the pressure changes with the changes in the fulcrum.

cheers fnq

Ps at what speed do you first notice the tabs have flattened and do you have the smaller plates? thanks

sjp
01-10-2005, 06:06 AM
never really checked when they have flattened but have stuck my hand into the water behind the transom at 25 klm and there is a lot of pressure there,if you think you might have a problem iam pretty sure the straighter you put the actuaters the less resistance ,so just drill another hole for the bracket closer to the transom on the plate.i sure nauticus will help, the tabs havent taken off here but are pretty popular good ole USofA,what i can say is that the motors trim and tilt switch loves them and so do my toes ::) no more eskys ,bait knives and buckets rearranging themselves to the back of the boat ,sliding across the checker plate floor when i take of