PDA

View Full Version : LED Trailer Lights

JT
07-09-2005, 06:33 AM
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has these, and what sort of price you paid? I need to replace my old trailer lights and am thinking of going LED.

Cheers

John

basserman
07-09-2005, 09:57 AM
i have a set but have a set of the beez kneez hella one that have the ten year warrinty on them
had to pay a fair bit of money forn them but that was three years ago when they first came out
back them i payed $320 for the set or $160 each side
never had a problem with the lights them self ever since i put them one
have heard a few people haveing problems with the cheaper ones they buy of ebay where the globes have been dieing after about a year

the only other thing i have heard about is that they are prone to being stolen in some places but i have never had a problem but then again i am liveing in a country town

INDULGENCE
07-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Just do it, its worth the cost especially if your a dunker
Didnt know I could have trouble free lights until we fitted leds
Brought them from the local bloke and paid just under $200 fitted
wally

Robbo_Townsville
07-09-2005, 03:48 PM
$125 a side "Hella" from TJM. Best thing I ever did was replacing them with the LED's

beatsworkin
07-09-2005, 05:46 PM
i got mind from bias boating and they where about $50 a side
http://ledautolamps.com/product_100series.htm am im very happy with them

clutter
07-09-2005, 08:17 PM
I bought mine on ebay and cost me $85 for the pair plus $15 for delivery. A mate had a set supplied and fitted for $120. Can't see why you would want to spend over $200 on the same things.

Clutter

JT
08-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, looks like a drive to Brissy is in order.

Cheers

John

bungie
09-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Just be careful, most LED don't reflect, so you need to add reflective stickers to the back of the trailer to make you legal. Plus usually you need TWO white LED's over you licence plate as they are not bright enough on there own.

Dirtysanchez
21-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Guys, I am in the Electronics Industry :-/
I have been looking at this for some time and have designed a set up that would be quite suited to boats, hard wired, encapsulated in a resin body (yeah, I can put reflective stuff in too) and could easily get these onto the market for a lot less than what you guys seem to be willing to pay.

My Dilemma is this.. I could put these on the market, minus the necessary ADR automotive approvals, which I would require if I was to sell them to boating or trailer manufacturers, and sell to guys like you. OR I could spend $25K and have all the ADR approvals done and then put them on the market but obviously my price to market will double for the 1st 2 to 3 years.

No one can put a device into a car, be it car light, blinker etc without technically getting these ADR approvals.

I could make these things for about $25 a side and sell them for say $45 easily

Feedback appreciated !

bungie
21-09-2005, 03:29 PM
picture appreciated ! ;D

rumy1
21-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi
Dirtysanchez.
I can't PM you because I don't have enough posts so could you send me an email to
rumy1@tpg.com.au

Thanks ;)

rumy1
21-09-2005, 10:39 PM
Couldn't unzip your email attachment for some reason ?

Mantaray
21-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Guys, I am in the Electronics Industry #:-/

I could make #these things for about $25 a side and sell them for say $45 easily

Feedback appreciated !

So who pays the fine?

SIGNS2503
22-09-2005, 06:13 AM
I JUST BOUGHT SOME FROM MY LOCAL PARTS DEALER (NO NAME BRAND) FOR JUST UNDER $100 PR.

whiteman
22-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Dirty....

Haven't you heard of margins? I reckon the lights would cost around $5 each to make in a factory in China. Add the importer's markup of 300% (area of greatest risk) and that gets you to $20. Add the wholesalers markup of 100% and that gets you to $A40. The retailer then adds their bit so you pay $60-$120 per side!). If Hella uses premium components, the base product is $10 in China but the percentages remain the same.

I'll buy a side from BIAS this arvo for $59 and test them.

Dirtysanchez
22-09-2005, 04:59 PM
I love some of the responses ! thanks (I think)

I don't have any pictures yet, I have made the base circuit boards and tested them for luminous integrity (so the leds are all the same brightness) but haven't potted any in resiin as yet, that is actually where the bigest cost is, but my thinking is if I do it this way they would probably outlast a lot of t he trailers out there ;)

The cost of the boards is nominal, and if I sell them to you blokes over the web or via mail order or ebay, they can't fine me. Its still a free world!
I will make a set for my caravan & send some pics out.

I know the suppliers who sell to hella, our company is one of them, these things cost 2 fifths of f--kall!

Margin he says, well yeah, gimme some too.. and I won't need to have them made in China, the Chinese wouldn't touch these, too low tech for them ! labour would only be $2 a side to put the boards together.
Potting them in the resins etc and making the molds is the biggun for me!

By the way rumy1, I didn't' send you an email so best you get some anti virus software mate, someone is sending you some nasty's.. I don't have a dirtysanchez email address. so be careful..

Anyone know what a dirty sanchez is by the way ? ::)

Bugs
22-09-2005, 07:09 PM
sanchez, would you mind confirming something?

Even though your lights don't and won't comply with ADR rules 6/-, 45/-, 48/- and 49/- and you sell them over the web you would not be fined? Is that your low ploy?

So if you will not be fined then obviously the people buying/using these non conforming lights will be the ones who will be fined then?

Now this has nothing to do with margins, china or tim buck two but lights that don't comply with ADR rules are illegal so anybody buying them should realize that leave themselves totally and utterly wide open to all sorts of possible unwanted liabilities.

People who would buy these things would have to be totally stupid! No saving buying something that is illegal will ever cover the downstream liability!

Get them approved if you can't accept the responsibility.

Needmorerum
22-09-2005, 10:38 PM
So what is being said here is that I can't go and make my own set of lights and fit them myself.
I've been looking into making my own, for various reasons, and hadn't thought of the ADR side as you see so many 'modified' vehicles running around now with home made LED lights.

Corry

rajawolf
23-09-2005, 12:53 AM
I will have a set Dirtysanchez... who cares if they meet ADR whatevers.....

I have had a cracked windscreen for 5 years in my car... lucky QLd do not have yearly rego inspections ::)

Opps!!! I better shut up, the thought police could be lurking. :-X

Dirtysanchez
23-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Bugs, thanks for your comments, and what you point out is exactly why I haven't started a post saying "Led lights for sale" I am painfully aware of the ADR rules, and if you read all the stuff I wrote I made a point of statinig that at this stage I haven't put mine to market!

I have been told that the loophole is the aftermarket area.. If you go to Whitworths, or worse, Super cheap autos you'll find quite a few trailer lights for sale have no approvals at all !

I have no desire to take on something that breaks the law, nor do I want any boaty to buy something off me then be fined or litigate against me because of defect notices from any authorities.

You seem to have a good awareness of these ADRs, can you suggest anywhere that could help me with compliance and certification that won't cost me $25 grand ?

Thanks

Heath
23-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Is the case that the light has to be ADR aprroved or does it simply have to meet ADR standards?

BTW, very interested in a set. email me some pics.

bungie
24-09-2005, 12:02 AM
dirtysanchez,

Hope you washed your hands before using the keyboard # #[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

phewy
24-09-2005, 12:39 AM
The finger at least :-/

gif
24-09-2005, 08:41 AM
You need to meet ADR design standards - are you sure you submit for testiing?

I se no testing approval standards on any.

I will take 500 at that price

There are a few on the market now and more or about to come in from China under $100 a pair - and the good part is a clear lowere lens - so it doubles as a number plate light saving more $

Gary

0412 111 573

FNQCairns
24-09-2005, 04:21 PM
The VSB1 guide to building small trailers state that all lights must meet ADR's for instance stoplights it is ADR 49 or what I suspect is the european eqivalent- ECE R7.
No where in this doc does it state that the units must be marked as complying.

Apart from some things like baby capsules where testing is done I highly suspect that because it is a business that produces products not the common man that the onus would be on the business to ensure the product does meet the standard, no-one checks anything in gov anymore its cheaper to allow damage to be done and deal with the aftermath than try to prevent it with testing.

So check it out but I suspect that if you spring for the appropriate adr guidelines and ensure your product meets them just in case your product is tested in court as the result of a accident etc you can sell straight away anywhere to anyone in any way.

I bought some reflectors for the trailer today from supercheap and neither have any stamped compliance on them one brand states it has been tested and approved on the packet the other brand has no mention of adr anywhere. That at least tells a story.
cheers fnq

Dirtysanchez
27-09-2005, 08:43 AM
GUys, definitely wear gloves during the sanchez, thanks for your concern!

Leave it with me please, I know for sure from an ADR consultant that I do need to comply and show certification, which costs mega bucks, which is why people like Hella charge so much ! :'(

I'll make some up & let you know, I'll set up a non work email address soon and contact some of you interested.

Gotta go - big brother (work) is watching me

4evafishin
27-09-2005, 04:55 PM
$45:00 ? dirtysanchez

Bugger the ADR approval if you can send me a pic I'll send you the money.

Kezza

Needmorerum
27-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Be the same as some of the Aztec Lights you can buy. I got a set for my Cruiser, and the bloke selling them says they are not legal unless I stick a red reflector on the back of the car somewhere, as the lights are all clear. They just come in a sealed plastic bag, no instructions, wrapping, nothing.
Bugger that, I just painted the clear reflector in them with Tamiya clear red model paint.
The hotrod guys and street machine guys seem to get away with custom LED's. And I've seen some of them while they are going over the pits of DOT in QLD.

Corry

Owen
27-09-2005, 08:10 PM
There is no law against importing, manufacturing or selling components that do not meet ADR (or most Australian Standards).
You can get into strife for installing such items.
i.e. If a dealer installs components that do not meet ADR's then they may be found liable if said parts can be shown to be responsible for an accident for instance.
About the only possible scenario I could see with trailer lights is if you were in a prang and the insurance investigator were to cotton on to it. They'd bail for sure if they could link the lack of compliance to the accident.
Getting indicators to comply is not a simple operation (I've been involved in it before). They test all sorts of things like luminescence, refraction etc etc.

cheers,

Owen

P.S. I'll take a set.

Bugs
01-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Sanchez, Sorry no don't know where it will not cost an arm and a leg. As for the so called ADR consultant might I suggest you get another opinion but in any case have this consultant put those directions in writing and front up to the administrator of the ADR's and see what they have to say about your consultant.

As you being the said "manufacturer" of this lighting equipment then you (the manufacturer) have to provide with these lights with written assurance the lights comply with the required ADR. There is no requirement to actually mark the lights as such (but many do) but you must have that report that states the lights do comply with whatever ADR when fitted as per the instructions supplied with each light or attached to the golden report.

Trying to sell these without the required ADR compliance will no doubt attract the attention of your opposition, who generally have a tendancy to be cheesed off cuase they have been forced to fork over for the golden report.

Owen
01-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Dirtysanchez,
It's been a long time, but I think QUT has the necessary testing facilities to tell you whether your lights meet the ADR(S).
One thing I learned with Design Engineers & Consultants is that you need to shop around.
Sometimes they don't know much about what you are trying to do, but they're happy to let you pay them $200 / hr to learn [smiley=greedy.gif]

cheers,
Owen

rajawolf
02-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Its a bit like the heart foundation tick of approval.....pay the $$$$$ and its yours.