PDA

View Full Version : Yammy F100detl or Etec 90 or etc 115

noodles
17-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Hi guys

I am still deciding what outboard to throw on the back of my Quintrex Reef Raider 5.3

The decision is up between a Yammy injected 100 hp 4 stroke
or an etec either 115hp or 90 hp

I can get a Yammy injected 100 hp new for $12080 but havent got any prices on the etec motors. I am just chasing peoples opinions of either and some feedback if you have heard anything. Also if anyone knows any dealers for the etecs could you please let me know.

Thanks

Noodles

Zeeke
17-09-2005, 09:18 PM
i think a 90 etec is around $11000 mark alone... cant beat a Yammy tho for reliability... have heard some stories about the etecs having oil issues... even tho they claim to be run hard straight out of the box.. i still reckon a fourstroke yammie, with its history and the time they have been around.. they are pretty reliable... but another to look at is the Suzukis

Tim

FNQCairns
17-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Reliability aside cause Zeek has covered it. The 90 etec would still have better performance than the 100/4.

Expect round a 1/5 reduction in performance for the same hp, that is the way it has always been :( Dont think it has changed.

Also because the 4st are proped up so high in the rpm range they do sometimes have the top speed advantage over midrange proped 2s but you have to wait for it. cheers fnq

noodles
18-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the replies guys
I got a quote in the high 12k mark for a 90 Suzuki 4 and havent really heard much about them. I guess the main thing for me is fuel consumption and weight. I can carry 170 ltrs in 2 tanks and the 70 litre is near the transom. I guess I have to look at the extra ten hp and if i am gng to get any gains for the extra cost weight. Maybe the extra 10 hp will come into its own if i am fairly loaded up for extended trips.

finding_time
18-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Get the 4 stroke either the yami or suzi ( suzi might be a bit lighter, unsure)

Don't get sucked into the hi pressure 2"s or for that matter any 2's

Ian

I'm going to hide now before those etec boys come and howl me down!!! get the 4 and you'll love your self forever

MrWong
18-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Have the same delema at present and I am leaning toward the 4 stroke: Not sure on either a Yamaha 100hp 4 or a Merc 115hp 4 propsed boat Trailcraft 5.35. I am thinking 4 Stroke - cant go wrong!
The Suzuki is a great four stroke- have a buddy with one no complaints at all and boy is it quiet - I havent taken it into consideration because the boat deals I am looking at dont include Suzuki
Cheers

mickey7
19-09-2005, 05:54 AM
i've got a suzy 90 and fuel consumption and power are great, quiet and reliable.
The suzy 90 is a detuned 115 worth a consideration,I would definately buy another one,I'me sure if you shop around you could get a better price than you were quoted.

SIGNS2503
19-09-2005, 07:29 AM
I BOUGHT THE E-TEC 90 FOR MY 17FT FIBREGLASS BOAT AND WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING ELSE. FUEL CONSUMPTION SIMILAIR TO A 4 ST, NOISE LEVELS NEARLY AS QUIET AS A FOUR ST, BOTTOM END PERFORMANCE BETTER THAN A 4ST, AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST THE 2 ST MOTORS OF TODAY ARE FAR SUPERIOR IN TECHNICAL ADVANCES THAN ANY 4 ST ON THE MARKET.

noodles
19-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks for all replies fellas. Drama is i live in Gove and finding email addresses or numbers for other dealers around australia is a real pain in the arse. If anyone out there could help with any numbers or email addresses for dealers that would be great.

pegasus
19-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Hi Noodles, cant speak on the etec front but certainly can second Mickey's opinion on the suzi 90 hp 4 stroke - had one on a 5.3 haines - as they say all good. The 90 is probably consider one of the heaviers in its class- I think that the 140 suzi even comes in a few kg lighter-but having said that a nice o/b-Haines signature are the aust distributors so if you do a search on that I am sure you ll find a dealers loc/contact page.
best of luck in the search.
lew

Sportfish_5
19-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Hmm I know someone with a brand new ETEC 90 who after nearly two weeks is without his new boat and still waiting for parts for the oil injection system from Sydney #:'(

Engine oil light comes on and shuts engine down to max 1000 rpm #::)

Not good for a brand new engine with 10hrs on the clock but having said that they are replacing the complete oil injection system for him.

I have never heard any probs with them prior to his.

Cheers

Greg

noodles
19-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Taking into account what you guys are saying and from what i have read else where i think i will tend towards the Yammy. I am thinking that what i save in original purchase price going with an etec might cost me down the track as no one seems to be able to have any news on the long term reliability. Plus still have to put oil in it to. If i get the Yammy it wont cost me to service as i can do it myself and i know a lot of blokes here are running Yammy and had no dramas and up here in Gove blokes go a long way from home at times. Will keep you all posted on the final price and who supplied.

Maybe we should start a thread or section on this site when guys purchase new boats, outboards or anything to do with our favorite pastimes that we put it up here for all to see. Then if the dealerships etc know about it they might start doing better deals etc fire up a bit of competition you know. Lets face it we all fork out big bucks on our fishing etc so lets try and get the most for our buck.

I put it out there for discussion, what do you think????????????????

rumy1
20-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Great idea ......

WAfarmer
20-09-2005, 06:58 PM
G'day fellas

I have a 40hp "E"tec done no more than 10 hrs in 12 months so far it has had the emm black box and both injecters replaced to cure fuel mapping problems witch caused the engine to miss and surge from about 1800rpm to 2800 rpm

After replacement the motor has an intermitent miss around 2800 to 3200rpm.
They are trying to convince me it is the engine going from homogenous? charge to stratified charge or somethig.

Then the throttle started sticking and the motor would idle a bit fast and if the motor was stopped when started it wouldn't rev up.

Sometimes if the throttle was pushed open then closed quickley it would drop to idle, until the other day when I preformed the above operation the motor stayed at the full bore position with the throttle at the idle position had to turn key off to stop(not very happy!!!) .

I would not buy another ever

wafarmer

Larf
24-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Hey people
got a 90 e-tec, does everything they promised and more, all the chat was and is crap,all motors have good and bad things.Some dealers dont look after the customer,make sure they have the right qualifications.
facts are important.2 stk will always be available.
Evinrude and Tohatsu are the only companies making motors to 2008 requirements.
Suzuki is the 4 stk motor winning awards.
You will always get chinese whispers and the kid in the drive thru at mcdonalds will know more about aircraft engines than a pilot?Believe what you want ,speak to people who actually own them.
I wonder what people will say in 3 years time when other manufacturers will have to come out with a similar product.

WAfarmer
24-09-2005, 10:25 PM
Um
I do own one
I don't go to Macdonalds
I don't talk crap
I told the facts
The last little problem I had really concerned me
I hope in 3 years I have come to like my outboard however I will be purchasing another boat for offshore work and it wont be equiped with an "E" tec at this stage because I don't have confidence in them so far.
I have a lot of respect for the other products Bombardiar produce ,just should have got the 4stroke johno.

wafarmer

Larf
26-09-2005, 08:29 AM
wasnt saying you spoke crap
im saying some dealers and salespeople do
about your last problem get your emm looked at, some problems have been encountered by incorrect installation and mapping.

vertico
02-10-2005, 05:16 PM
ive got a 90 etec on the stabicraft and ive had no drams, its very good on fuel and has awesome midrange power. On another note it dosent use f'all oil as well.

whiteman
03-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Have a look at the forum at iboats.com. It will give you a wide range of opinions across a large number of motors.