PDA

View Full Version : what's a reasonable price

Woody
02-10-2005, 03:04 PM
G'day fella's,
# # # # # # # # # After a resent mishap {& probably an old one too} I've fubad my outboard. We don't have a local marine machanic out here so i've had to get someone I don't know to look at it for me. #Much to my horror the quote for repaires is close to $4000. #He says I need a new driveshaft and spline assembly as they're both toothless. #The motor is a 1999 Johnson 2 stroke with not many hrs and serviced every 2 years from new at the dealership it was bought at. #I backed into a rock awhile ago and broke the prop. But resently I ran onto an unmarked sandbar and was stuck good. #Lifting the motor out and pushing the boat off I found I had no drive and no telltale water so I shut it off. #Is $4000 fair dinkum ?? #Co's when I told my minister for finance she redlined and valve bounced for 20 minutes. #Any advise would be appreciated. #Is it worth spending that sort of money on a 6 yr old motor? #Are 2nd hand parts viable? #

All input appreciated #Woody

scuttlebutt
02-10-2005, 03:19 PM
It's going to depend what size motor it is.

cheers,

steve

blaze
02-10-2005, 03:49 PM
second gearbox may be an option, 4k seems a bit steep but thats to someone that has problems with the cost of any thing I dont do my self.
cheers
blaze

FNQCairns
02-10-2005, 10:22 PM
That number sounds sort of right #I guess if the spline assembly is actually the crankshaft! What is the spline assembly? I thought the shaft was SS and not really up to scratch strength wise with all of the other mating parts, it should be sacrificial.
Get a second opinion that seems way too rich. Hope he is wrong.

A brand new lower leg must be close to that!

A person could just about import an in good condition second hand 2000 model Johnson v4 from the US for that sort of money.
What is it? A Yamaha?

Brooksy
02-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Woody
What size is it? I got qouted $2700 for aq whole new gearbox and drive shaft last week for a 115hp but was told a price rise is on the horizon.

Steve

Burley_Boy
02-10-2005, 11:00 PM
Ouch to have done both the crank and the splines on the shaft to the gearbox. I'm with FNQ there questioning if both would really go. If they're really both stuffed then its a hell of a job on most engines I guess. :-[
I would have thought that the prop would go first.
Go chat to a wrecker for a bit of advice. Have you got the powerhead off so you can inspect the damage?

Barrymundi
03-10-2005, 05:55 AM
Suggest a call to the boys at North Queensland Outboard Wreckers - 1800 812 748 or 07 4774 8330

They can find the hard to get parts and prices are very good.

They can also do the repairs if required, They are based in Townsville, freight may be an option, depending on your location.

Al

blaze
03-10-2005, 06:09 AM
I read that wrong, yeh sounds like more than gearbox, spline in crank stops the pump. Are you insused?

Spaniard_King
03-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Hey Woody,

If you had a 2hp then $4k is a little dear but if you had a V6 then $4k would be average if not cheap.

so how about lettin us in on how big the donk is???

$4k sounds like a crank job to me. I had to get a 3cyl crank last xmas for a friend..OEM was $3500..second hand $1500..which would you go??

Garry

Woody
03-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Sorry fella's'
I'm showing my lack of mechanical knowhow. The crank is worn or damaged in a way that it would probably slip again even with a new drive shaft.
The donk is a johnson 50 2 stroke 1999 model. Serviced march last year at a big name marine shop that has done the servicing from new. I bought it 2nd hand.
Hey Blaze, yes I am insured I'm just waiting for the paperwork.

regards woody