PDA

View Full Version : live bait tanks

spapstick
04-10-2005, 12:59 PM
got two rear bait tanks in my new plate ally 18 footer. looking for tips from anyone who is running one on their boat. do you guys use a pick up for circulating while travelling or bilge pump when at rest. what about thost cheap aerators? will be keeping slimy mackeral and chow ( think the east coast lads call them yakka) cheers

Gunfish
04-10-2005, 01:26 PM
snapstick,

the best set ups i've seen were with a bilge pump on auto timer for stationary, and a pick-up for motoring. not sure on the cost of these set ups, but if it keeps those precious livies swimming does it really matter.

cheers,

mabo.

Fishin_Dan
04-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Pick up when travelling, and a transom mounted bilge pump when stationary. Turn it off and on occassionaly (This is why the expensive ones are on a timer) if you want, but could leave running....

The aerators do work ok, but you have to manually replace the water every little while. I've only got an aerator, and as long as you change the water intermittently (Every 10-20 minutes), they should be ok.

A properly setup Bait Tank is definately better than an aerator!

spapstick
04-10-2005, 04:30 PM
cheers fellas think i will run with the pickup and pump combo. do you think 1/2 inch internal diameter ally pipe will do the job for the pickup?