PDA

View Full Version : aluminium bimini??

Somethn_Fishy
03-10-2005, 04:34 PM
hi all,

I am thinking about replacing the fabric bimini on my Trailcraft with an aluminium one but don't know where to start. Does anyone know who can replace the bimini with an aluminium one and roughly how much it might cost? anyone out there who has done this before?

Also how do you take off old boat stickers without damaging the pain job on the boat - i need to swap NSW rego numbers to QLD Rego numbers.

Cheers - any advice appreciated.

Rick

The_Walrus
03-10-2005, 06:37 PM
As far as the bimini is concerned, I'd take your design to an aluminium boat maker to get an idea of costs. You could also approach any light engineering works in your area.

Luc

Somethn_Fishy
04-10-2005, 05:22 PM
THANKS LUC,

I have gone to an aluminium fabricator and asked for a quote. Will keep everyone informed.

Rick

blaze
04-10-2005, 06:58 PM
remove old numbers with a hair dryer/hot air gun. Warm them up and they will peel off, dont get them to hot. clean up residue with prepsol/thinners. There is a citrus product you can also get to remove residue that those in the sign industry use
cheers
blaze

Needmorerum
04-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Be interested to see how this goes, I have tossed up about replacing the top of mine with a fibreglass top. Let us know how things go with this.

Corry

88fishframe
04-10-2005, 08:05 PM
If your investigations regarding price go the same way as mine - good luck keeping the old canopy and have fun with your new $2000.00 remote minn kota !!! p.s. be cautious with builders suggesting you just go off the centre consul [if that is what your boat is] as it puts enormous pressure on the consul both out on the water and when towing. Spend the extra and gets it properly braced to the transom.

The_Walrus
04-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Personally, for a centre console, I'd be getting the bimini to fold down to reduce windage when towing. As a bonus, the boat will also need less height in the garage door.

Luc