PDA

View Full Version : What battery for my boat

Skipsta
01-10-2005, 07:35 AM
I have searched old threads, but they don't answer my question.

I have a dual battery fitout on my AMM 5.2 CV Centre console. She is only 6 months old. The battery that they supplied is fine, but my other battery which I transferred from my old boat, looks like it has dropped a cell or similar. On the trickle charger it will charge to 13 volts. I turn the trickle off then watch the charge drop down before my eyes. It stops at about 10.7 volts. Short story to this is it is stuffed.

I now need a new second battery and I wanted to know a good battery to replace it.

The dead battery was a 4WD/light truck 600cca battery. The battery supplied by AMM is a 580cca battery.

I am running a 2002 90hp Yammie. Electronics include sounder/gps/bait pump, anchor/nav lights and big ass spotty on back deck.

I know that the "perfect" solution would prob be one of those $300-$400 deep cycle batteries, but I don't want to spend over $120 if I can help it.

Also any recommendations on how to run it. ie. on a night fishing trip. Run out with one, then swap over to run lights etc, then run back on the first one or what? and how often do you guys trickle charge your batteries?

Any help would be sweet. 8-)

Black_Jack
01-10-2005, 08:36 AM
Should go to a battery traders, they normally have a good range of marine battries

geoff

DaMaGe
01-10-2005, 09:12 AM
When using a dual system, it is probably best to get a Marine Battery with heap of amps to kick your motor and a deep cycle battery to run your electrics.

I made the mistake of obtaining 2 x Century Marine 600 batteries and find they just don't cut it when running all the electrical during a good session or an over nighter. I find they are fairly hard to charge back up also.

Coke
01-10-2005, 10:41 AM
I can't quite understand the mentality of people trying to save a few bucks on batteries. I f you can't start your car - thats inconvenient. If you can't start your boat, that could be fatal. Hav'nt seen anyone clutch start a boat lately either. :o

rajawolf
02-10-2005, 12:19 AM
Hav'nt seen anyone clutch start a boat lately either.

Thats what the rope under the hood is for... LOL ;)

Coke
02-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Good idea - Try that with a pair of V8 inboards

Dignity
04-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Skipsta, high crank batteries usually charge up easily and deep cycle batteries require a solid charge to get them up and running again, if your high crank dies and you only have the deep cycle which has been running all your equipment and lights I think you might have a slight problem. I had a calcium marine battery but after 2 of them failed me, the first only 11mths old, the second 2 months old I won't use them again. Both discharged on a small pilot light for the anchor winch. Calciums have simmilar properties to a deep cycle once the charge gets a little down. I now run 2x600cc crank batteries and usually run out on 1 ans use the other overnight. I have started on the second battery with no problems although for battery life it is better to start on fully charged batteries. Keep your batteries well charged before you go out and they should last for years - I usually put a trickle charge into mine the night before - a good charger is necesssary.

Sam

Angla
04-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Sam's idea sounds spot on and is what I do too.

Only thing I do not do at this point is trickle charging as I think the batteries are still in great condition after 18 months. I would start the trickle charger only once I thought they were struggling on first start up, to extend there life.

I know batteries are expensive but I would hate to be caught at 11.00 pm when you are wanting to return from out wide because the weather was turning foul.

Angla

FNQCairns
04-10-2005, 10:17 PM
I certainly dont have the experience with battery types as some here have, some of the newer style batterys might suit you better, they probably never will for me though, here is around about what I do/would do.

I have only ever used lead acid batterys, always unsealed, never low maintenance, never marine stickered, always the light truck/4wd type, any brand and select the one with the highest CCA and reserve capacity for my money and have yet have any complaints over serviceability or life span -yet.

If your engine is efi (also include almost all of the dfi's) then you must use a large capacity battery to run all the associated 'stuff'. If it is a carby engine then you can use say a 500cca as a minimum.

For the house battery consider connecting two 400s,500s or 600s together as one, also consider swapping out as many of the bulbs as possible on the boat for LED's.

Best to leave the engine battery for starting only, it's the one that will get you home, once you start using it as a house battery sooner or later you will forget and drain it below where it can fully recharge again with the risk of being forced to replace it early.
House battery's are expendable. If you look after the engine battery and use it only for starting it ca outlast 2 or sometimes 3 sets of house battery's.
Thats more or less the extent of my experience with boat batterys ,arrived at more by the cost factor than battery know-how.
Cheers fnq

Dignity
05-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Skipsta, what I didn't mention is that I was told by an electrical engineer who is also a very keen boatie that if you use 2 different types of batteries do not run them both at the same time while running hoping to charge both up. Don't know why and have asked the question before but no replies. As per fnq and angla I only use the main battery for starting and run the other as a house battery.

Sam

SIGNS2503
05-10-2005, 07:06 PM
I have always run 2 standard large batteries (not 4WD) never a marine or deep cycle all I have had in the past is a simple 4WD twin charge system that charges both on running and uses 1 battery for accessories which have included 3 flouro twin lights, std nav and anchor lights, gps, sounder, and spotlight occassionally. Have only ever had to replace 1 battery in 4 years!