PDA

View Full Version : Mariner 2 strokes - Good? Bad?

wacco_fozzy
03-10-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm looking to buy a boat that has a 1998 75 hp 2 stroke mariner on it. Would anyone have any feedback on that motor? Years ago I had a 2 stoke 50 hp merc and while it wasn't the most economical donk it never gave me an ounce of trouble. I've heard the Mariner is a rebadged Merc, is that right?

2iar
03-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Don't have any feedback on the motor mate, but you're absolutely right in saying it's a re-badged merc.

Apparently made in the same factory with the same components and parts.

Good luck,
Mike

peterbo3
03-10-2005, 02:22 PM
I had a 1996 75 Mariner on the Lightning. Great donk. Only traded it because I got a top deal on a 90 4 St. They are really bulletpoof but get a Merc/Mariner mech to do a prepurchase check. Bit rough at low revs due to the 3 cyl but no probs over 1000 rpm. Should not be paying over $3200-$3500 though for a motor with service history ( logbook or receipts). Bit hard to get an exact price when it is part of a boat & tlr deal.

rakinray
03-10-2005, 05:25 PM
G/ day mate can only give my opinion on the mariners but i have owned a 95 model 60 hp for two years and have had a great run from it with only one small fuel prob in that time. I have it serviced by a merc/mariner dealer and it has never let me down, and im a regular offshore fisho that takes it to as far as my fuel will get me so it needs to be very reliable.

CHEERS RAY :) Heres a pic of the the motor.

luress
03-10-2005, 07:22 PM
I had a mariner 30hp, in that range there is a american or japanese mariner.If this is the case in the 60 the american is far superior than the jap version.Mine was a mariner marathon
built for commercial market
regards gary

Oldyella
04-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Mariners are Mercs as Evinrude are Johnson's and Lexus's are Toyotas. The 2 stroke Merc/Mariner has been made in Fon Du Lac Wisconsin for many many years and the Autoblend injection has been improved to be very reliable. If it has been looked after, you will own it for decades with no probs. If you go to www.iboats.com and talk with the Merc/Mariner people, they will confirm that the 3 and 4 cyl inlines are near bullet proof.

bigmack
04-10-2005, 05:01 PM
iboats is an american site - do we have anything like this in australia?

thanks in advance

Big_Kev
04-10-2005, 06:03 PM
I was told that the Mariner was first introduced many years ago and sold as a salt water version of the Merc. As Merc was said to have a bad name for corosion.
It is the same motor but all has to do with the way people think and are conditioned to buy things.

Its called Marketing.

I am running an old 2 stroke Mariner now and it goes great. As good as anything out there I think. Nothing wrong with them.

Scott15
04-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Got that exact model. Runs great only prob is it chews a lot of fuel. havent had any problems with it.

lazeabout_4.5
04-10-2005, 06:57 PM
i had a 30 hp mariner on my last boat and was very reliable

Oldyella
05-10-2005, 08:44 AM
We don't really have anything like iboats, due to the amount of people there who rebuild old motors and the low cost of parts etc. Also, they make most of the big name OB's there and have access to an abundance of them. Having said that.. This site is very good and has not gone the way of another site in Aus that is just full of opinionated owners of japanese OB's who think that no other brand exists... Maybe it's just a Qld thing.
Scott.. All 2 strokes are pretty thirsty. You will only get around 5-6 MPG at Wot out of most.

bigmack
05-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Can you get rebuilt lower legs / gearboxes and stuff in Australia? Qld

Thanks

Oldyella
05-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Definately in Melbourne.
http://www.goldenseal.com.au/index2.html
Don't know about up here...

-spiro-
05-10-2005, 08:56 PM
i have a 135hp that goes well. i have done a few klm's in it travelling to the B/banks with no problems yet. Just waiting to here back from the mechanic to rule out my fuel pump as a problem 8-)