PDA

View Full Version : Engine cover / sound deadener

Cheech
05-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Thought some of you may be interested in a cover I made with an inner skin to quieten my noisy old merc. Works pretty well but coud probably get better rubber for the job. I just used what the clark rubber guy said.

First picture are the 2 rubber parts before gluing the lid on. All joins are butt joins to give a smooth curved finish and glued with contact adhesive. 25mm foam.

Cheech
05-10-2005, 12:35 PM
on the boat before adding the top

Cheech
05-10-2005, 12:36 PM
foam assembled

Cheech
05-10-2005, 12:40 PM
on the boat

Cheech
05-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Vinyl cover. Note it is built inside out. In the back I have cut out the air vents (in the vinyl and the foam) and glued the mesh to the vinyl cover. Was going to sew them on but decided to glue instead. Another reason to fully built the vinyl inside out so it could be slipped on and of the foam with the slipery side to the foam.

Cheech
05-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Finished product.

Cheech
05-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Another shot that Dan took at the ramp.

Gbanger
05-10-2005, 12:54 PM
looks like a good job, no concerns about overheating?

steve_n
05-10-2005, 01:19 PM
What cost do you reckon? Yes it does look good but does it give enough ventilation?

Oldyella
05-10-2005, 01:27 PM
:( :( But... I love the sound of a 100 Hp Merc.. and the 2 stroke smell..
mmmmm.... :D

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
05-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Looks good Cheech!!!! ;)

Dave

FNQCairns
05-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Thats a great job! It should not cause any engine overheat problems, unlimited water supply, but it may cause an electrical failure or problem but only if the part was marginal to begin with.

Keep an eye on your fuel usage if it goes up any you may need to increase the air vents. These things breath through every crack and crevis, of coarse if you didnt do such a good job the breathing wouldn't be an issue.

cheers fnq

PS.... So how well does it work! :-/

Rusty_Hook
05-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Yeah, Cheech, what's the verdict?

Commodore
05-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Responding on behalf of Cheech,
last trip on Monday night was the first I had seen his handy work,
noise suppression was noticeable, improved communication in the cabin while underway. I also asked about the heating side, seem to have no effect on performance, so overall, looks great, works well, who’s a cleaver little dick then…. ;) ;) ;)
Chong

Bosunsmate
05-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Hi Cheech,

Great looking cover buddy, I don't mean to be a killjoy but,

Airflow would be my main concern, electricals can generate a lot of heat that generally disipates through passive (not fan forced) airflow in direct opposition to the positive cooling effect provided by the water cooling system for the rest of the powerhead.

It could be untidy if a stator or coil overheated....I would be very closely monitoring the temps under the cover and inside the case especially the electricals as often as possible, especially on a sunny hot day in the full sun, the dark colour would be like a big heat sink soaking up the heat in much the same way as the metal casings do. Its got me beat why they paint them black, the colour is not the best heat dissipator, surely they would be better painted white

As I said I don't want to be a killjoy, just expressing my opinion.

Flat Seas & Light Winds 4 Ever
Graeme

Cheech
06-10-2005, 08:25 AM
All good questions. Under the back vents, I have cut out the foam as well, so the main air intake is unchanged.

On the front there is a gap between the foam and the old cover due to the square shape of the old cover and the round shape of the new one that allows a bit more air circulation. Hopefully will not have any electrical problems.

Cost was about $115.00 for the foam and the vinyl.

THanks for your replys.

Cheech

bidkev
06-10-2005, 09:54 AM
<snip>

who’s a cleaver little dick then…. ;) ;) ;)
Chong

Cleaver? Dick?...........Gave me goose pimples just thinking about it ;) ;D

kev

bidkev
06-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Meant to say, she looks good Cheech. Must say, I'm happy that I don't have to shout to communicate now......the stern drive is wonderfully quiet in comparison to the Yammy 2 stroke.

kev