PDA

View Full Version : Lost my Minn Kota Prop- Help.

Poseidon
02-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Out today and lost the prop off my Minn Kota Electric whilst using. It occured when I was was using the motor in reverse which leads me to ask advice. Would it be fair to say that whilst the motor is turning forwards, the plastic retention nut on the shaft is tensioned against the thread and whilst in reverse there is a chance if the prop snaggs that the retention nut will loosen and fall off ??? If this is the case is there a better way of ensuring that this nut remains tight, loctite or similar or is it just a case of 'it happens'.
Also given that I need a new prop and retaining nut can anyone suggest the best location to purchase these parts.
Any help would be appreciated.
Reagards Cameron.

TonyM
02-10-2005, 05:01 PM
just about to buy my first Minnkota - would like to know the answer here too

Isn't there a split pin on them as you have on a normal outboards prop?

Poseidon
02-10-2005, 05:29 PM
No split pin Tony, mine had a plastic thumb screw with a nut set in the middle that threaded onto the shaft and kept the prop hard against the shear pin on the shaft. It seemed to rely on pressure to keep it on the shaft.
Went and had a look at some new motors of the same model this arvo and they seem to come out now with a metal thumb screw with a nyloc nut set in the middle which would seem a little better though still relying on pressure to keep tight.
I don't know why they don't have a spit pin on the shaft, this would seem logical however someone may have a better explanation.
Regards Cameron.

Poseidon
08-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Well I ordered another prop and it came with the same type of prop nut as the original.
I think I know what went pear shaped the other day. Behind this plastic prop nut should sit a small cutting washer that should keep the pressure on the prop and nut when in use. Especially when the motor is in reverse as the direction of the prop spinning will whip the prop off in no time without the washer. I had the prop off a few weeks back and can't remember this cutting washer being there and hasn't been a problem since as the motor had only been used in the forward direction which kept the nut and prop tight. Last weekend the motor was used a fair bit in reverse so there goes the prop.
So the moral of the story is, if you have the older minn kota with the plastic thumb nut on the prop shaft, make sure that you have a cutting washer between the prop and the nut oherwise it might be bye bye prop.

Regards Cameron.

davo
08-10-2005, 10:27 AM
I had the same problems with a mariner T33 electric years ago. The motor would start to wobble under power and if you took the power off the prop would drop off the shaft.

Is yours a black and white motor? If so get a new nut which is an anode as well as a nylock nut. Make sure you have a screwdriver slot in the end of the shaft so that if you break a split pin you can still get the prop off. Take a look at the new motors and you will see. I have an older transom mount and a new style bow mount