PDA

View Full Version : Poor workmanship.

Poseidon
07-10-2005, 03:39 PM
I've been spending a little bit of time kicking some tyres at a few boat yards recently and sometimes wonder about the quality controls that some manufacturers have on the final product. Being an electrician I seem to be drawn towards checking over the mounting locations and wiring methods utilised on tinnies and have come to the conclusion that some manufacturers are having a lend of the buyer. One model of boat I recently looked at had the switch-panel mounted into a Weatherproof PVC box which would be a logical thing to do, however the cables entered the top of the box through a hole with enough daylight around the wiring to let a tidal flow through. How long are the switches going to operate immersed in water on a regular basis? It would have made alot more sense to have the cables enter via the bottom of the pvc box through a compression style gland removing the chance for water entry, funny thing that gravity !!
Other boats had connections made to nav lights, and other accessories via screw type connectors exposed to the elements and pushed up out of view under the gunnels. These exposed connectors will give you no end of problems when used in conjunction with saltwater.
Just be careful when you take delivery of your pride and joy and take the time to check the boat over with attention also to the wiring and switch panel, they charge you good money for these add-ons so be sure that you get your monies worth.
Regards Cameron.

Fishin_Dan
07-10-2005, 04:02 PM
That's why DIY re-wiring! ;D ;D ;D

bignick
07-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Quick, cheap & nasty; that seems to be the way the factories go a lot of the time these days. Get it out quick, thereby saving on labour costs, and use the cheapest parts possible, another saving to be had. Which all adds up to better profits. Don't worry about the customer; he is more of a pest and it's only his money that keeps the dealer remotely interested. As long as these little things last for the period of the (very limited) warranty, all is well in the dealer's eyes. Don't wear it. Remember, you are helping them by parting with your hard-earned, and usually in fairly large slices. If a part or some workmanship is dodgy, point it out and ask (then demand) for it to be fixed to a standard that you're happy with. It may cost a few bucks more, but in this cut-throat day and age, a dealer's rubber arm needs a good twist and you should be able to have it done at no extra charge (providing the upgrade is reasonably small). Do not, under any circumstances, part with any cash until the boat is complete and to a standard that you are completely satisfied with. If the dealer won't come to the party, take your wad of cash, which he obviously doesn't want, somewhere else. There are some really shocking yards to deal with, but there are some good ones as well; seek them out and you should have no dramas.

Cheers,
NICK.

blaze
07-10-2005, 08:58 PM
is it the factories/manfacturers or the retailers
cheers
blaze

The_Walrus
07-10-2005, 10:58 PM
I'm with you Fishing Dan,

DIY is better. Did all my own wiring (first time effort), have had no problems in 4 years.

All you need is a bit of planning and care.

Luc

markpeta
08-10-2005, 05:00 AM
Cam,

As the saying goes you get what you pay for. Bulk production boats you will probley find this is the case maybe you should be looking at a custom built boat ?

Mark

familyman
08-10-2005, 07:44 AM
Forethought ,soft solder ,heatshrink and plenty of patience ;)
cheers jon

Poseidon
08-10-2005, 08:58 AM
Yeah Mark, the custom built vessels certainly have a better quality control process but some of the issues just fall back to poor wormanship. In the case of the wiring entering the switch panel enclosure, it would have taken no more effort to perform the fit-off correctly, it just comes down to laziness on behalf of the worker.
As many have already said in the post DIY it , it will be far more rewarding and the finish is what you make of it. I can only see the quality of fit-outs falling away as dealers try to outprice each other.
Regards Cameron.

dfox
08-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Cam, i bet they never used tinned wire either, its a must for marine applications....

Big_Kev
08-10-2005, 02:11 PM
Thank the good lord for silastic and touch up paint or the fit out guys would be lost.

seaeagleweb
08-10-2005, 03:55 PM
is there a differance in what wire to use?