PDA

View Full Version : Trailer parts are they so expensive

troy
07-10-2005, 08:06 PM
As some of members would know i am building my own spare trailer just to be used to pull the boat out #of the water at my beach hut.
Problem being on a lot of occasions you will have a big swell coming in while trying to launch or winch up.
i have had quotes on wooble rollers at 70.00 a piece and i have worked out i will need 8 of these.
What i need advise on is a set up where you can get the boat on or off the trailer as quick as possible before a wave comes over the back of the boat and then you are in trouble.
troy

blaze
07-10-2005, 08:55 PM
IMO
no rollers
teflon skid up the middle in a slight v, about 200 mm either side.
put a teflon strip across the v at the start of the trailer.
side skids with teflon skids about 4 foot long either side.
thats what the boys on the west coast of tassie use in up to 2m swells, sometimes the trailer has no water around it when they line up the boat and then they just ride the swell in, the auto lock at the front of the trailer grabs the boat and then they drive out, retrieval takes about 15 seconds. they also use the boat motor to help push the vechicle out if there is any water still there.
cheers
blaze
ps
scrounge the teflon (worn out stuff from a factory of some sort.)

Mojo
09-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Mate, wobble rollers are only about 5 or 6 dollars each, you must be talking about some kind of complete assembly for that price. As Blaze says, skids are a good idea - easy to get the boat on when there is a bit of water on them to lubricate things a bit, little more difficult to get the boat off when the skids are dry, but for a second trailer with little use, I recon the skids are the way to go. Poly skid material in the shape of a "D" mould , blue or red in colour , about 50mm wide and in 2 Mtr lengths - I got some a couple of years ago from www.boatshop.com.au Can't see any there now, but an email to them should find out if you cannot buy it locally. Mojo

troy
09-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Hi Mojo they are a complete assembly and you just bolt them on,
They are the same set up as you see on the multi roller trailers.
I want to go the way Blaze suggested but i am worried about chipping the old girl after all she is brand new.
thanks.
troy

Sportfish_5
09-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Troy - How about a pic of your new Outsider ?

Have you taken delivery yet

Cheers

Greg

troy
09-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Greg i have taken delivery but have not been able to use it as having problems with the Sens Away Breaks and nobody up here seems to know much about them.
At the moment she is stuck in the garage and would not be much of a picture other than that i am very impessed with whole outfit.
These breaks are a pain as thet do not seem to know whether they wired my truck up the right way and every thing is trying to be sorted out over the phone.
Thanks for the interest.
troy