PDA

View Full Version : Riptide or Fisher Boats ?????

boatboy
01-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Am looking to replace the old toy, and have narrowed it down to either one of these. I have been / fished in both, and was impressed with both, but was wondering if there is anyone who has any advice / remarks on either boat. I am looking at the 6m centrecab arrangement running twin 90 hp suzukis.
Look forward to anyones thoughts etc

revs57
01-10-2005, 06:51 PM
G'day Boatboy,

We are currently in process of building a 6mt Rip Tide Cuddy - we have just put in the sub structure under the floor...I had no idea of the amount of work that goes into the stuff that is never seen. I'm so impressed with Dave's boats (obviously, because we are building one) his workmanship is first class, design tops and finish is brilliant. I've been watching Dave build boats for 5 years and drooling...our boat is number 86 so Dave has plenty of experience. Check out the following links for an independent review

http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/boats/otherboats/riptide.html
http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/boats/riptide/riptide5_4.html

I know Peter Webster did a review of a 5.8 with twin 115 yams http://www.seamedia.com.au/pdf/previews/BTSENG93_prev.pdf - you may want to check it out.

Since finding Ausfish I have become aware of Col's Fisher boats...so I understand your delimma...his product looks like its well thought through well built and well finished.

Talking to those who own the Rip Tide, never heard a bad word...every one I've talked to can't speak highly enough, and it wouldn't suprise me if you find similar among those who know the Fisher...they look like a top hull.

What I can say is that Dave is always developing his hulls, the underwater shape is continually being refined and Rip Tide offers many different options. Recently Dave has experimented successfully with an extended chine lip shaped into the hull. The hulls have two strakes and I'm getting Dave to include a plank on mine to pull the cuddy to the plane even more quickly.

And his workshop is just around the corner from my home so I can pester him, I mean help in the construction too!!!!

If I were in your shoes I'd probably go and visit both workshops and talk to both builders about your requirement, check out as many of their boats and owners as possible then compare prices...and make a decision.

I plan to only do this once and I am very happy with our progress. I've found Dave to be a really obliging bloke to work with...I'm sure Col is too from reading the posts about his boats and the fact that both are dedicated Fisho's means you'll get the right stuff in the right place.

I reckon you're looking at the ideal rig and I'm sure regardless of which way you go you'll get a top job and be very satisfied.

By the way, love the idea of twin 90 suzi's...Dave is a Suzi dealer too

All the best with your project

Rhys

David_P
01-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Fisher :)

Sportfish_5
01-10-2005, 07:28 PM
Cant beat that deadrise and water ballast ------>>>> Fisher ;)

houndog
01-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Fisher Mate, no question about it.

-spiro-
01-10-2005, 11:38 PM
i didn't see profish there ;D
i like mine 8-)

fly_1
02-10-2005, 03:40 PM
I had a fisher 580 maxi upto just recently, ( sold it to get a bigger boat), and it wasa great boat. It rode well, and was reasonably stable at rest. As far as tin boats go, its certainly one of the better ones.

Smithy
02-10-2005, 09:57 PM
Don't discount the Mclays from Hervey Bay. Had a 585 but it may just have been a magic size and never been in a big one to compare how they go. Like what Col is doing with his Fishers and he is an Ausfisher to boot.

Kiktz
03-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Fisher.................

The END

Cruiser
03-10-2005, 10:49 AM
I regularly fish from a mate's Riptide boat (5.6 Centre Cuddy) and it's a top rig. Another mate who fishes with us has a 6m Riptide.

Personally, I think you can't go wrong with either Riptide or Fisher. It may come down to price and how long it takes for delivery.

Talk to both Dave and Col and check out both boats very closely (including underneath). Ask about how they're measured (ie does quoted length include pod, bow sprit etc) so you're comparing apples with apples.

Enjoy the search. A 6m platey with twin 90's - I'm very envious.

Chris.

Thunderbird
03-10-2005, 06:26 PM
you a fisher or a wisher? :) :)

WOOPI
06-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Go the Fisher.

I have a 6.00Ext half cab with a 200hp suzie with all the bells etc,
mate you can't go wrong and twins would be great

Woopi

sempre
09-10-2005, 08:13 PM
hi guys first post so dont pay me out to bad . Have a riptide 7.4 myself dont have any problems the rig.I had a sportsfish and a HH formula. This is overall a better rig than them.

browndog
09-10-2005, 08:25 PM
First post for me,cant go past the riptide.I have been in a few of them.
They can not be faulted going into a sea Cheers.